MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-14-2004, 12:08 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default stupid oil question

What is the ideal way time check your oil? after parked overnight or after driven to operating temp and let sit for 20 min? i always thought that if the car is parked for hours, you get the most accurate oil level reading. just curious......
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:23 PM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Re: stupid oil question

Couple ways to look at that. First, leaving the car sit for hours lets ALL the oil drain back, except what's in the filter. This is very accurate for measuring how much oil is in the engine.

On the other hand, running the car up to operating temp., shutting it off and checking the oil immediately will tell you how much oil is left in the pan while the engine is "running". The difference between the 2 is also a good indication of how well your engine gets the oil back to the pan. Sludge buildup in the heads will slow the drainage, and you'll "appear" to be a couple quarts low with the engine warmed up. Let the engine sit for a few hours, and it may show full!

As far as capacity goes, that's a whole 'nother subject. I know lots of guys that run a 7qt pan with 5qts of oil. I know a few racers that run with as little as 2 or 3 quarts of oil! Crankshaft windage is the cheapest/easiest horsepower hiding in your engine.

Just my $.02!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:39 PM   #3
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default Re: stupid oil question

thanks for the info. in my case, after sitting overnight i'll be right at the full line. after a drive and letting it sit for 10 min, i'll be a quart low. well, engine has almost 130k on it, must be some sludge in there. i guess this is normal?

as long as sitting overnight and checking is accurate, i'm good to go!
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote