MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-06-2001, 05:03 PM   #21
Piston
Registered Member

Well to compare our cars it's somewhat hard For serveral reasons. First off my car stock is a 15.2. It also weights more then yours. 89 notch I'm sure it cost a lot less to drive away from a dealer. I have a lot more work on my car. Labor is included with the amount I have spent.

I admit the prices I paid are not the cheapest but the car shouldn't be included in your total mod price. If you do your own labor that's where you will save lots of money. I did mine for the most part. I also got everything new. I know I can turn out a low 12 high 11 on spray. But that's not what I'm out to do. On motor I'm pretty confident for a 12.5. I am also trying to be very realistic with what I have. I definately have a very good handling car that's for sure. The car is not setup to go in a straight line but it sure does good (12.5 speculation). This is number is from a a couple of HP calcs and other peoples times. Plus my own assesment with the GTECH.
I do feel like I spent a hell of a lot and lots of people could be in the 10's with that kind of money. But not all of us are so lucky.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 06:32 PM   #22
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Wink

You said it Piston. You're car isn't setup for the best 1/4 you can get.

By going with a drag setup instead of the rest of your suspension, axxing the 18" rims in favor of some 16" drag radial setup, you could have trimmed $3000 from your budget. Also in your case, I think you got hosed about $1000 on the tranny. They aren't that hard to install and I doubt you even need it. The T-5 should take 12's with just a shifter and no slicks duty. That could have saved you another $2000.

All in all I'm sure you could be going just as fast as you are now, actually faster for $6000 less. You've invested in other aspects of your car too though. There isn't anything wrong with that, it's just we're trying to give Andrew the best cheap go fast combo possible. Putting 18" rims and road race suspension on his car isn't gonna help. He doesn't need a new tranny, so that isn't a factor either. Basically he can nix the engine mods in favor of N20 for immediate bang for the buck.

Just differences on how you and him go about getting there.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 07:20 PM   #23
Piston
Registered Member

The Tranny I got thrown into. I blew up 3rd gear in it. That's what happens when you drive your car like you stole it all the time. I guess I deserve it.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 08:31 PM   #24
dinomite
The Dude

I would say your only bet is nitrous in this short period of time, though I don't know much about it so I still can't say you'd win. If you loose, no big deal in my mind, youve got a STOCK AOD and he has a highly modified car.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 10:20 PM   #25
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

Well...i was counting labor cost...
The only thing i didn't do myself was the gear.
Nitrous, exhaust, suspension...that's all nuts and bolts. Simple.
I won't do the heads either...so if you read it right you will see the anticipated $500 labor cost.
Hell yeah it was cheaper to drive it off the lot...also the quickest mustang you could buy(way lighter) that's why i got rid of my GT
I like going fast for cheap....not slow for 12 grand.....that's all.....And BTW, a notch will sell for WAAAAAAY more than a GT now...Try and find one

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 11:45 AM   #26
redsn95vert
Registered Member

Be ready to get your a!! handed to you, I've got a 95 GT AODE.
My boss drives an 88 Iroc with a 383 stroker that runs 11's all day on all motor. He's helping me with my mods, and even after we're finished, I still wouldn't mess with him

------------------
95 GT convertable, 3.73 gears, bbk off road h-pipe, march underdrive pullies, Saleen wires, custom made cold air induction,
Future mods (Winter/Spring break)
Cobra intake w/ 65mm tb
GT40 heads, flowtech headers, Lunatti cam 230 duration 488 lift
redsn95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 04:41 PM   #27
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Ok, your going to need tires/4.10's/NOS. Thats the only way your gonna pull this out. Beating a 383 can be done no problem. I did it just 2 weeks ago.

What you need to think about is how fast your friends car really is? What kind of heads are on it? Does he actually know a lot, or did he just go.. uhh 383, stroker, power, slap parts at it and go. Im sure it probably runs in the 13's, but isn't a very well built up 383 that might run low 12's?
Thats something to think about.

Get a shift kit, 4.10's, and a NOS kit, converter if you can afford it, and some tires. I think that would put you as fast as me, and beat one of these things with so much wheelspin I probably ran 14.1.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-TFS Heads, E-303 Cam, Edelbrock Intake, and more. Added Eibach drag launch springs and 70/30's w/ 50/50's.
0-110MPH In car view (963k)
All Throttle through 3 gears! (497k)
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/lskymanl/burnout.mpg" TARGET=_b
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote