MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-29-2001, 07:07 AM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post C4 tranny cooler is not working

The tranny cooler is ice cold and so are the lines. No wonder my tranny has been getting super hot. Any ideas? Everythin is brand new.

------------------
Just need the sticker!

Red 1993 GT
1969 351 block w/393 stroker. Edlebrock Performer heads and Performer RPM EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. JMS chip & MSD ignition.
Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage, Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 09:49 AM   #2
ALS85GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

You may have a kink in the line. Or there may be an obstruction of some type,.
ALS85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 08:27 PM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Nope, I think my Uncle hooked up the tranny cooler lines wrong. I let him do it and he sent the feed line from the pump into the bottom of the tranny cooler instead of into the top of the radiator.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:05 PM   #4
juiceman
Registered Member

you really cant hook up the cooler wrong. it doesnt need to go into the radiator at all and i dont use that method on any race car i build due to the fact that if the radiator is hot it keeps the tranny hot. i would remove the lines and see if any fluid pours out. i hope the little caps that go into the tranny ports were removed. redo everything and dont go into the radiator. go into one port and out the other directly to the tranny. also, what tranny cooler are you using.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 11:05 PM   #5
gofastmercury
Registered Member

You can install a cooler wrong! The cooler fittings should point up. If its the other way it has a hard time getting the air out. The only thing that will happen if you run it into the rad, is that your car might run a little hotter, but your trans will not. the trans usally runs at 300 while the coolant is much cooler.

------------------
93LX excopcar 150K 3.55's mac full headers. funnest car I ever had.
14.3@96 @ 4000ft
67 390 ranchero 3.70's cast manifolds, comp cams 260H, completly stock
15.1@90mph
66 merc comet 351w, isky roller 600 lift 268/260@.050, vic jr. 700DP, 5000stall, 4.56's c-4, 3400lbs with driver

gofastmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 06:48 AM   #6
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I'm using a TCI tranny cooler that I bought when I was at Dynamic picking up the tranny. When I removed the upper coolant line from the radiator it was bone dry. The lower line was filled with fluid. This was the line that my Uncle had pushing out from the cooler. I think that if I eliminate the radiator version of a cooler and use the trans cooler only than I'll be all set. Also, Dynamic told me that tranny fluid should be between 180-210 degrees. Anything over that is not good. Obviously, if my tranny was hot enough to transfer the heat through the metal mounting plate into the Hurst shifter it was over 210 degrees. Probably closer to 300. I think I should drain the tranny and re-fill with the TCI fluid. It's supposed to cool the tranny by 30 degrees and it's coming in along with the tranny temp gauge today. What do you guys think?
Old 08-30-2001, 07:58 AM   #7
andy669
Registered Member

Do you drive the car very much in cold weather? If you dont, get rid of the factory cooler. If you do, i would recommend keeping it as it will help to warm up the fluid in the winter. If the feed line from the pump went to the top opening in the radiator, the fluid would flow so fast that it wouldnt have time to cool off.(jmo) As far as changing your fluid, i'd pull the feed line from the trans off of the cooler and route it in to a bucket. Start the car and let about half of your fluid get out. Immediately start dumping the new fluid in. Youre gonna need to be fast at this cause the fluid is gonna come out fast. I'd let a quart or two of the new stuff come out as well. Just to make sure its completely flushed.
andy

------------------
3 Black 94 GT Vert. AODE/TKO conversion, 3:73's, ported X-305's, GT40 manifolds, 75mm TB, 30lbers, PMS, 300 horse Top Gun wet kit, and all the other little stuff
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 11:36 AM   #8
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I think I'm being misunderstood. I don't have anything that is factory. I am using a Dynamic racing external cooler mounted on the Fluidyne (made for auto.) radiator. I called up Fluidyne and they said to run the feed line into the top of the radiator using a 1/4 NPT fitting rather than a flare fitting. The problem was that I let my Uncle run the lines and he ran the pump feed line into the cooler and had it exiting the top of the radiator rather than the other way around. I need to fix it before I hurt anything. And no, this car won't be going anywhere in the snow. I can't even drive it in the rain Thanks for the advice guys.

Quote:
Originally posted by andy669:
Do you drive the car very much in cold weather? If you dont, get rid of the factory cooler. If you do, i would recommend keeping it as it will help to warm up the fluid in the winter. If the feed line from the pump went to the top opening in the radiator, the fluid would flow so fast that it wouldnt have time to cool off.(jmo) As far as changing your fluid, i'd pull the feed line from the trans off of the cooler and route it in to a bucket. Start the car and let about half of your fluid get out. Immediately start dumping the new fluid in. Youre gonna need to be fast at this cause the fluid is gonna come out fast. I'd let a quart or two of the new stuff come out as well. Just to make sure its completely flushed.
andy

------------------
Just need the sticker!

Red 1993 GT
1969 351 block w/393 stroker. Edlebrock Performer heads and Performer RPM EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. JMS chip & MSD ignition.
Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage, Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks
Old 08-30-2001, 07:51 PM   #9
Five0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_ROTY:
Obviously, if my tranny was hot enough to transfer the heat through the metal mounting plate into the Hurst shifter it was over 210 degrees. Probably closer to 300.
Hey Stang_ROTY, my shifter gets hot also but it is not connected to the transmission it self, I think most of the heat comes from the exhaust not the transmission.

I was thinking about putting something between the shifter and the metal it is mounted to on the floor to help insulate it.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
12.565 @109.38mph 1.764 60ft
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 10:22 PM   #10
juiceman
Registered Member

wow, the advice given is crazy. first, you can not install a cooler wrong. it doesnt have directional flow, does not matter what way it faces, and air does not get trapped in it. next, never run you car and use the tranny to pump out the fluid. whether or not its in gear it still turns the internals and since you have a good tranny you dont want to stress the bearings inside. do you start you motor with no oil in it? a tranny should never get to 300 deg. if it does and it does it consistently say good bye. do like i said and dont use the radiator internal cooler. although im not A big fan of tci, im sure if you got the right gvw. youll be ok. if you think that tranny gets hot from just driving wait till you do a burnout and stall it up at the line. like dynamic said, keep it at around 200 deg. trannies are funny, they, like motors, need to be warmed up to perform well but when too hot will break.
Old 08-30-2001, 11:03 PM   #11
crewzin
Registered Member

I will never run a trans cooler line into a radiator again! I had one break internally once and the fluids will switch places. Trust me, you dont want to pull off your rad cap to see red water. A cooler just has two lines,cant really go wrong there. I would definetaly check the cooler by blowing thru it with air and vise versa on the lines. Does'nt take much to plug one up. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 11:33 PM   #12
andy669
Registered Member

Hey Juice, what is the proper way to flush out trans fluid? i've done it this way several times and never had any problems.
andy

------------------
3 Black 94 GT Vert. AODE/TKO conversion, 3:73's, ported X-305's, GT40 manifolds, 75mm TB, 30lbers, PMS, 300 horse Top Gun wet kit, and all the other little stuff
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 07:39 PM   #13
juiceman
Registered Member

im not saying you cant do the flush that way but its not recommend. first off, you will never get out all the old fluid from the converter and when you drop the pan you get most of the fliud out. they make machines that flush out tranny systems.
Old 08-31-2001, 08:15 PM   #14
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I took the lines and ran them straight to the cooler. It made no difference in the heat through the shifter but I do have the tranny temp. gauge that I'm installing tomarrow. I don't think I'll be flushing the system. I looked at the Trick Shift fluid and it still looks blue so I couldn't of burnt it that bad. But now here's my question. I really got on her today and when I shifter gears the tranny kind of "roped" into gear. Something I've never felt before (probably b/c I never got on it before). But the good news is....I GOT A STICKER!! SHE PASSED CLEAN WOOOOOOOOOOO!