MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-11-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
Mad Horse
Registered Member

Angry Which Tremec since T5 bit it?

Hey guys, driving down to Dayton, OH on I75 today when all of a sudden my T5 started rattling like a bolt in a coffee can. Drove her softly to Ford staying out of 5th gear cause it sounded horrible and had the trans man take a ride with me. Anyways, I'm assumming it isn't worth the money to rebuild and Ford offers a rebuilt T5 for 1600. Since I can get a Tremec for this price I think I'll go with that instead. I might let them look at it first and see what it will cost to rebuild. If it is too much I'll go with a Tremec. Which one though? Is there one with more of an OD? I would love to reduce my RPM's in 5th gear since it sees a lot of daily driving with the 3.73 gears. Is .64 or .68 more of an OD? Confused on the tranny gear ratio thing. Tremec doesn't make a 6 speed for the 5.0 do they? Any suggestions? The car goes in tom. for inspection so I need to decide quickly.

Cosmetic Mods: Color change interior & exterior, Cervinis Ram air hood, 16" Ponies, LX Taillights.
"Nip it in the Bud"
Mad Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:43 AM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

I LOVE my TKO, but you'd need a different crossmember, driveshaft in addition to the TKO.

You should be fine with a 3550, or even a world class T5. Tremec does make a new 6 speed, haven't seen any of them yet though, and I imagine their kinda pricey.

Given your situation, I'd go with the world class T5. Oh, and the gear ratio thing is simple for OD. The smaller the number, the more OD it is. .64 is overdriving the output shaft more than a .68 Keep in mind that high gear, or 4th in this case, is direct. Meaning 1.00 to 1.00

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:53 AM   #3
Mad Horse
Registered Member

I have heard of some issues with the 3550 so I was going to try and stay away from it if I could. Any suggestions on where to get a Tremec from. Does anyone have better prices?

Cosmetic Mods: Color change interior & exterior, Cervinis Ram air hood, 16" Ponies, LX Taillights.
"Nip it in the Bud"
Old 10-12-2004, 10:53 AM   #4
Mad Horse
Registered Member

I really need some help fast!! Do I go with the Tremec or a Gforce? Who has the best price?? I want to order this asap.

"Nip it in the Bud"
Old 10-12-2004, 11:06 AM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

At your mod level I would just buy a "good" used T5 for 300 bux and spend the rest of the cash on something else.

JMO,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:27 AM   #6
Mad Horse
Registered Member

Seeing as I plan to keep this car. I would like to prepare for my future mods. Which entail a 347 Stroker kit and maybe a SC. So I think it would be smart to do it now and get it over with plus I really don't care for Ford's T5.

"Nip it in the Bud"
Old 10-12-2004, 01:45 PM   #7
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

A little off the subject, but I am following this subject because I may be needing a tranny upgrade...

Anyways...Some people I have spoken with have informed me that 347 strokers don't like too much boost. They recommended the 331 to be supercharged and it's more streetable. Someone on this forum mentioned that to me, and I started asking mustang guys around here. Maybe something to think about.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:28 PM   #8
Mad Horse
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip Falcon! The more and more I look at transmissions the more I think about the T-56. Has anyone done the mods necessary to put the T-56 in? I have seem some articles online and it doesn't look too hard but am interested if others have experienced differently.

"Nip it in the Bud"
Old 10-12-2004, 04:24 PM   #9
andy669
Registered Member

Either way you go, D&D in Michigan is a great place to deal with. 248-735-6220

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:14 PM   #10
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Horse
Thanks for the tip Falcon! The more and more I look at transmissions the more I think about the T-56. Has anyone done the mods necessary to put the T-56 in? I have seem some articles online and it doesn't look too hard but am interested if others have experienced differently.
My brother in law had a T-56 in his 90LX hatch. The only problem I found with it is the funky crossmember you have to use presents some exhaust clearance issues.

Other than that it was a bad @ss tranny he had it behind a 500 HP 393 stroker and it handled many high rpm launches on slicks.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:05 PM   #11
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

This is the only place you need to call for help with a transmission.

Mike Forte will hook you up with every nut, bolt or can of oil.

Mike Forte
Old 10-12-2004, 09:23 PM   #12
fiveOguy20
Registered Member

well i still have a t-5 in my ride launchin at 5800 with slicks an its still together!! so u never know how long they will last i suposse

best ET: 11.95 @113 1.64 60 foots
fiveOguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:42 PM   #13
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Well just go buy 3rd gear and the sinchro for it five0guy, you're gonna need it, cuz it's comming brother! Trust me!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:23 PM   #14
Scrapla
Registered Member

Im going with a 347 soon its actually built and ready to install just the hurricanes down here threw the install schedule off but im planning on using a 100hp dry N20 set up for the occasional race or one of the few times I goto the track and I currently have a stock rebuilt T5 and not planning on having that last to long after this install cause my car is a daily but I wanna upgrade and i'm stuck on either buying a used t5 and getting the Gforce kit or just buying a Tremec.

Also I heard 90 gt's came with the World Class T-5 is this B/S or what?

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:47 PM   #15
Mad Horse
Registered Member

Scrapla, all T-5's from 85 up are World Class. A lot of people think World Class means it is the top of the line but this is not true.
Read this to find out more
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml

I decided to go with a new T-5Z from D&D Performance. I will increase my 88 T-5 torque of 260 to 330 and my OD from .68 to .63 Brand new T-5Z for $1099 and I also opted for the aluminum driveshaft for another $200. I wanted so badly to go with the Viper T-56 and have an OD of .5 but I couldn't justify the 3200 bucks for the tranny and conversion kit that included a new driveshaft, crossmember, and speedo cable. Maybe some day

Thanks for everyone's help.

"Nip it in the Bud"