MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-14-2004, 09:30 PM   #1
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Bulletproof Tremec TKO?

Does anyone know of an "upgrade" kit to make my TKO "bulletproof"? Getting closer with the new engine by the day, and now I have concerns that my trusty TKO isn't gonna like the 800+ flywheel horses. Problem is, I REALLY like my TKO and would love to keep it. Other options include Lenco, Liberty, Ford Top Loader, etc etc. Notice there was no mention of anything that had "auto" in it, 100% negative on that idea.

So what do you guys think????

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I think G-force I think??????? might have an upgrade kit for it.

I was talking to a guy last week at the track that had a 347 stroker with a Novi 2000 supercharger. His car was a 5 speed and man, his car didnt look like it was any fun to drive down the track. It jerked violently to the right everytime he would shift.

With that much HP you might want to look at a Richmond 6 speed or a Dodge viper tranny. I have seen a couple stangs with a dodge viper tranny, I bet it is expensive as hell though.

Good luck and I want a ride
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:48 PM   #3
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

No dice on G-Force, they only do the T5. (On a side note, I guess their T5 is killer!!!) Viper trans is a t-56 ??? Heard of that, but since I already have the TKO, I was hoping. X2C makes a killer TKO, but waiting to hear from them about the "kit"

This car has been LASER straight so far, so I'm hoping for the best. I know exactly what you're talking about though! See it all the time. I've had this car up on 4 jackstands for about 2 1/2 months now, or so I thought. Last night I realized that the driver's side front jack stand wasn't touching the car anymore. Not safe, but at least I know the chassis is stiff! hehehehe

P.S. I want to clarify my 800+ horses claim. First of all, that's FLYWHEEL ponies, not rear wheel. Secondly, about 200 of that is coming from the bottle of d-Con in the hatch, the rest is from the 410 inches of "mouse killer" I'm building.

MICE need not apply.....

Old 10-14-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ~The Jester~
No dice on G-Force, they only do the T5. (On a side note, I guess their T5 is killer!!!) Viper trans is a t-56 ??? Heard of that, but since I already have the TKO, I was hoping. X2C makes a killer TKO, but waiting to hear from them about the "kit"

This car has been LASER straight so far, so I'm hoping for the best. I know exactly what you're talking about though! See it all the time. I've had this car up on 4 jackstands for about 2 1/2 months now, or so I thought. Last night I realized that the driver's side front jack stand wasn't touching the car anymore. Not safe, but at least I know the chassis is stiff! hehehehe

P.S. I want to clarify my 800+ horses claim. First of all, that's FLYWHEEL ponies, not rear wheel. Secondly, about 200 of that is coming from the bottle of d-Con in the hatch, the rest is from the 410 inches of "mouse killer" I'm building.
Sounds like a killer project. I dont mean to hijack your thread but what clutch are you planning on running?
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:18 PM   #5
andy669
Registered Member

Pro Motion in Ft. Lauderdale can build that trans for you. 954-771-5575

Thats a good question. What clutch are you going to run?

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 05:42 AM   #6
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Right now, a RAM 900 series with the long style pressure plate. But like above, it all depends on what the Windsor wants. I don't mind a LITTLE clutch slippage at the hit, as long as it catches up quick. I was leaning on the trial and error method for the clutch, but that's where we're at right now. Open for suggestions on that too!

Thanks guys!

MICE need not apply.....

Old 10-15-2004, 07:38 AM   #7
andy669
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
His car was a 5 speed and man, his car didnt look like it was any fun to drive down the track. It jerked violently to the right everytime he would shift.
lol... Years ago, a friend of mine would jerk the steering wheel whenever he shifted. It took along time to break him of that habit.

My car used to move around alot while shifting, then I put a bumpsteer kit on it. It goes straight as an arrow 95% of the time now.

Andy

Old 10-15-2004, 08:06 AM   #8
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

I see those all over the place, and to me they just look like new tie rod ends. What exactly do they do??? I mean, what "problem" does it fix. Seems like a reasonable price and all, but I never did figure out what they were for.

MICE need not apply.....

Old 10-15-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
andy669
Registered Member

Bumpsteer is basically a change in toe caused by suspension travel. Bumpsteer kits change the angle of the tierods and gets the angle closer to what the lower a arm is. Since the inner tie rods pivot closer to the center of the car, (compared to the a arm) when the outer ends move up and down they will follow a different radius. If the 2 angles are too far off, suspension travel can steer the car.

My car used to make a move to the right after the front end settled down from the 2-3 gearchange.

Once you understand bumpsteer, you will not think about driving a racecar that hasnt had the bumpsteer checked, and had a proper race alignment done. It makes a huge difference!

I may be wrong, but I think some roadcourse cars actually want some bumpsteer. I do know that straight line cars dont. :lol:

Andy

Old 10-15-2004, 05:58 PM   #10
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Well now I know! Have to put those on my "get SOON" list now that I understand what they do. What you explained made perfect sense, just wonder why I never thought of it.

Gonna call Pro Motion Moday morning. See what they can do for me. STILL waiting to hear back from X2C and G-Force, guess they don't want my $$$$ hehehehehe

MICE need not apply.....

Old 10-16-2004, 11:10 PM   #11
Killercanary
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andy669
Pro Motion in Ft. Lauderdale can build that trans for you. 954-771-5575

Thats a good question. What clutch are you going to run?

Andy

I second that. Definitely call Walt at Pro Motion, he is the man to talk to for all your drivetrain needs. I just got a "Kustom Klutch" and quick release wide track quadrant from him... the stuff is TOP NOTCH.

1995 NA GT CONVERTIBLE
BEST PASS TO DATE: 12.19 at 112.51
AFR's, FTI cam, edelbrock intake, EEC TUNER and all the bolt ons on the stock shortblock.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/killercanary
Killercanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:16 PM   #12
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Any way to tell a TKO from a TKO II??? I know it's not the 500 or 600, but she might be a II. Have no idea how to tell though.

MICE need not apply.....

Old 10-19-2004, 07:22 PM   #13
andy669
Registered Member

The only difference I know of is the overdrive. TKO has a .68 and the 2 has a .82.

Andy

Old 10-19-2004, 10:04 PM   #14
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Pro Motion would be my first choice.

If it must be an upgraded TKO, try www.x2cmotorsports.com

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote