MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #1
ruquick
Registered Member

Default 5 speed conversion to AOD

I have a 90 mustang 5.0 that is a 5 spd. I have owned the car for 7 years and I'm getting tired of the 5 spd in traffic. What would it take to convert it over to an automatic? Could some one point me to some links or something. I have done an search and can't find anything. If there is anyone here that done it please let me know what all has to be done. Thanks
ruquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Its as simple as removing your clutch pedal and quadrant. Changing your, flywheel and bolting up your choice of torque converter and auto tranny. You will also need a different cross member and drive shaft.

Its pretty simple and a search of this forum would probably get you tons of info.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #3
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

you also need a flexplate as well as a tv cable
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:47 PM   #4
Jeff Chambers

Driveshafts are compatible....no need to buy a different one. For the crossmember, just grind the welds, slide the member all the way rearward and re-tack.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 06:13 PM   #5
ruquick
Registered Member

What is a tv cable? What about the computer will I need to change that?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #6
rwhite65
Ride Hard

http://www.windsorfox.com/

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #7
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

tv cable or kickdown cable ..or whatever people call it, runs from the tranny to the tbody and regulates shifting of the tranny, and yes you will need an aod computer
Old 10-16-2004, 08:51 PM   #8
ruquick
Registered Member

What about my h pipe, will I have to change that also?
Old 10-16-2004, 10:07 PM   #9
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

nah should be ok ..well im pretty sure anyways
Old 10-17-2004, 08:11 AM   #10
Jeff Chambers

Computer does not need to be changed. In fact, you're best off if you can put an A9L from a manual car in it. X-pipe, headers, nothing else needs to be changed. Here's what you'll need:

AOD transmission
Torque converter
Flex plate w/ bolts
AOD block plate
dispstick w/ tube
transmission cooler (or equipped radiator)
cooler lines
TV cable (unless full manual valve body)
shifter w/ cable

The manual computer can stay. The manual cross member can be modified, and the manual speedometer cable will reach, although its a tight stretch. The manual electrical harness works but you'll need the AOD pigtail that goes from the body harness to the transmission.

You don't even have to change pedal assemblies if you don't want to. I tucked my clutch cable behind the carpet for more than a year before I finally swapped out pedal assemblies.

BTW: You'll also have to jumper the neutral safety switches for the clutch pedal when you do swap out the pedals. There's actually two switches that need to go from normally open to normally closed for the shifter park/nuetral function to work properly.
CRT Performance

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Old 10-17-2004, 08:24 AM   #11
ruquick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Chambers
Computer does not need to be changed. In fact, you're best off if you can put an A9L from a manual car in it. X-pipe, headers, nothing else needs to be changed. Here's what you'll need:

AOD transmission
Torque converter
Flex plate w/ bolts
AOD block plate
dispstick w/ tube
transmission cooler (or equipped radiator)
cooler lines
TV cable (unless full manual valve body)
shifter w/ cable

The manual computer can stay. The manual cross member can be modified, and the manual speedometer cable will reach, although its a tight stretch. The manual electrical harness works but you'll need the AOD pigtail that goes from the body harness to the transmission.

You don't even have to change pedal assemblies if you don't want to. I tucked my clutch cable behind the carpet for more than a year before I finally swapped out pedal assemblies.

BTW: You'll also have to jumper the neutral safety switches for the clutch pedal when you do swap out the pedals. There's actually two switches that need to go from normally open to normally closed for the shifter park/nuetral function to work properly.
I already have a A9L in my car, I was just told that it would not work. I was also told that I would have to cut up the trans tunnel, is this true?

One more thing here's a little more info: The car is a 1990 mustang GT 5 spd. I want to convert it over to an LX automatic. I have already got the LX front & rear bumper, taillights, all the side moldings, both LX front fenders, and the LX hatch because of the spoiler. Would I be better off just selling the car and buying a LX auto? I know I have a lot of work a head of me but I have had the car for 8 years and hate to get rid of it.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:47 PM   #12
Jeff Chambers

Did the same conversion, 1990 Mustang GT 5-spd to an AOD. Didn't have to touch the trans tunnel, but I put in a B&M Pro-stick, not a stock shifter. I don't believe that there were any differences between the 5-speed and AOD tubs, the only differences I'm aware of are some minor stamping differences at the mid-year re-tooling, which most people wouldn't even notice if you pointed them out.
CRT Performance

Old 10-17-2004, 09:51 PM   #13
crazypete
Registered Member

The cutting that was mentioned was for the shifter hole area. It's ever so slightly different. Just get 4 zipties and yank them in real tight. Holds the shifter down solid as 4 screws would and the automatic shifter doesnt get much use anyways so there's no durability problems.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 10:24 PM   #14
ruquick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Chambers
The manual electrical harness works but you'll need the AOD pigtail that goes from the body harness to the transmission.

Could you tell me more about this?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2004, 08:44 AM   #15
crazypete
Registered Member

There's a switch on the back of the clutch pedal's pivot point. Just snip the 2 wire connector off and connect the 2 wires together. As for the pigtail, it is the socket looking connector that attaches to the pinlike base above the drivers side of the transmission pan about halfway down the tranmission. It signals when the trans is in reverse and neutral. This is what signals the starter relay that it is ok to start the engine and also it signals the backup lights to turn on. You can splice the t-5's harness in here but I remembered that the wires were different colors on the pigtail and the body harness so a little trial and error might be called for.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote