MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-08-2001, 07:24 PM   #1
cojonepony
Registered Member

Question Combo Questions ??? (Heads/Cam/Intake)

I'm planning a mild build-up on my '94 GT and could use some advice. I already have a SysteMax I lower awaiting installation, but other dudes on the board are saying to get heads also because the intake is actually a decent piece. Here's where the decisions begin. Should I opt for something like iron GT-40's or should I get aluminum heads like the 6037 Edelbrocks? I don't want real big valve sizes and I'll probably go with a Crane 2031 since I already have the 1.7's. Considering the amount of labor involved to swap heads I'm not concerned about the added cost of the aluminums if they're worth it. Any advice or input is welcome.
cojonepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 07:26 PM   #2
93CobraR
Registered Member

Don't just do the intake and not the heads. The big ports on the intake will cause alot of turbulance between it and the stock heads. I would go with Alum. If you do why not just get the Holley heads or the new AFR's?

------------------
87 GT, 4 inch cowl hood,17x9 Cobra R's/255/45's,GT-40 heads,long tubes headers,h-pipe,Flows,BBK cold air, Mass air,70mm MAF, 1.7's, 1" spacer,underdrive pulleys,Pro 5.0, King Cobra, Adj. fuel Reg., Lakewood Lift Bars,50/50's,subframes, 4.10's.
Best time 13.012
Best MPH 104
Best 60' 1.816

Visit my site at:
http://www.geocities.com/cobrar93_2000/MyPage.html

93CobraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 06:49 PM   #3
cojonepony
Registered Member

The Holley heads have the exhaust ports raised .400" so that excludes them unless you meant the new Holley heads due out this spring. The AFR's are probably great heads also, but don't they use stud mount rockers? I'm trying to select heads that take bolt down (pedestal type) rockers.
cojonepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 08:04 PM   #4
Killercanary
Registered Member

cojonepony- if money is an issue, the first thing to swap on a 94-95GT is the intake- they are horrible! It is way worse than the stock intake found on the fox bodies. I have a 95 GT convert with the mod's listed below. I was at a 14.6 at 94.Xmph with gears, pulleys, and exhaust. Putting on an intake, 65mm t-body, and headers took me to 14.3 at 97mph, with Nitto's and a homemade air inlet tube I dropped into the 13's. I now run consistent 13.8's at 98.3-98.5mph. This is in a convertible. Stock I went 15.2 at 90mph. In a coupe you'd be a good bit faster. Just to give you a very vague idea- my cousin's 94 ran 14.8's at 92mph stock, if you subtract what I knocked off my ET and add the mph I gained theoretically he could be running 13.4's at 100-101mph- this is just a vague assumption though. Now, as was said above there is a port mismatch, and this concerned me when I put them on, but I gained HP, and that is all that matter's to me. I took that chance and it paid off.

Stay away from iron GT40's, there are too many better heads out there, besides you'd have to buy them used because they are out of production, unless you went with the GT40P- these are still made. The edlbrockes are very nice pieces, but if you have the money I'd opt for the AFR 165cc units. I actually just ordered a set for my car, I went with the 165/58cc ones and they are in fact available in either pedestal or stud mount- however the 165's with the 2" intake valve require hardened pushrods and stud mount rockers. I hope this helps.

------------------
95 GT convt' 5 speed, 3.73's,FMS HD clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, ASP alum. underdrive pulleys, Bassani offroad X pipe, 2 chmbr flowmasters, K&N w/o silencer, edelbrock performer intake, FRPP 65mm T-body, FRPP shorty headers, FRPP aluminum driveshaft.Hooker 4pt chrome car bar, Xenon/Wings West ground effects, custom interior
Best ET: 13.83
Best MPH: 98.55mph with Best 60': 1.91 on Nitto DR's
Homepage: <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/killercanary" TARGET=_blank>http://www.angelfire.
Killercanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 08:48 PM   #5
DemonGT
Registered Member

whats the difference between pedestal and stud mount? and witch is better??

------------------
1991 GT,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,UPDATE: Just got my Mac long tube headers

By the time summer comes ill have full Mac exhaust,new shifter knob and what ever else i can afford
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 01:32 AM   #6
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Easy enough,

Stud mount rockers do just that. The rockers are supported by a stud, In the case of a Ford this creates an adjustable valvetrain, which removes most of the headaches when installing larger cams. IMO if your gonna build a set of heads this is the best way to go since it supports more options down the road.

Bolt down rockers are just that, A few shims and the rocker arm bolts down into the head. No guess work, not tricky vavle adjustment. Just bolt it down and be done with it. However bolt down rockers do limit your options when it comes to cam choices since their is no way to adjust the rocker arm.

This all assumes your using a hydraulic lifter. If your using a solid lifter, you'll need the stud mounted set up for lash adjustment, something a bolt down rocker just doesnt have.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 02:07 AM   #7
Killercanary
Registered Member

Factory is pedestal. For a street car you really don't need stud mount, plus there is maintenance associated with stud mounted units.

------------------
95 GT convt' 5 speed, 3.73's,FMS HD clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, ASP alum. underdrive pulleys, Bassani offroad X pipe, 2 chmbr flowmasters, K&N w/o silencer, edelbrock performer intake, FRPP 65mm T-body, FRPP shorty headers, FRPP aluminum driveshaft.Hooker 4pt chrome car bar, Xenon/Wings West ground effects, custom interior
Best ET: 13.83
Best MPH: 98.55mph with Best 60': 1.91 on Nitto DR's
Homepage: <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/killercanary" TARGET=_blank>http://www.angelfire.
Killercanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 02:08 AM   #8
1989GT
Registered Member

Don't rule out iron heads. Some of those aluminum heads don't flow as well as you think. Besides the GT40's can be easily cleaned up if you're worried about flow.

------------------
89GT,T-5Z, D.S.S. 306 shortblock w\main support, B-303 cam, Cobra intake, GT40P heads, 1.72rr, MAC "P" headers, MAC off-road H-Pipe, MAC true-fit w\tips, 373's...and the list goes on!
Throttle Junkie Powered by Ford!
12.824 @ 107.05 MPH
PVT Blankenship leaving for BCT 14MAR01
MOS 67 Romeo

1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 02:20 AM   #9
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

I met a guy at the track who had an 89 lx with a holley sys intake with stock heads, also a 70mm TB(too big),3.73's, lunati cam, h-pipe and fms 1-5/8 headers, and running a short belt, he only ran 13.7@ 102, his 1/8 was 8.8 just like mine, and i have nowhere near those mods,

he agreed that the ports on the intake were too big, and didnt match the heads, and gave him a flat spot in the throttle, around certain rpms.

------------------
90 lx coupe: Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil,advncd ignition,3-core radiatr, FMS alum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs, 3chbr flows.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 97.80
Best 60': 2.0047

next mods: subframes, mac h-pipe
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 10:36 AM   #10
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Quote:
Originally posted by cojonepony:
The Holley heads have the exhaust ports raised .400" so that excludes them unless you meant the new Holley heads due out this spring. The AFR's are probably great heads also, but don't they use stud mount rockers? I'm trying to select heads that take bolt down (pedestal type) rockers.
Well I know the mag's says they will be available this spring but I have had the NEW HOLLEY heads since last April, now it was a shocker to Holley as well when I called and told them I had the 2.02 valve stud mount, and if you seen any of my other post you know this already. The quality is awesome and all the final machining is done for Holley by AFR. I would strongly suggest those heads, they have pretty decent flow numbers out of the box as well. Another thing you want to consider going to 1.6 rockers and go stud mount, The stud mount are stronger and with a built motor most engine builders stay away from 1.7 due to the increase in stress on the valve train. You should have no problem getting rid of the 1.7's and I bought the Crane Blazers 1.6 for $169.00 out of Summit, they have full roller fulcrums and tips fully extruded alum. bodies too.

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote