MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-10-2002, 03:55 PM   #1
chris91LX
Registered Member

Default 3 row radiator from Autozone...

Anyone running the 3 row radiator from Autozone? I'm looking for some tips on the install, it's a little big for the existing brackets and I was wondering how others may have modified theirs to fit.
TIA
Chris
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 08:44 PM   #2
DZEE'S LX
Registered Member

I have the FMS aluminum radiator. Haven't put it in yet but the instructions say to "reshape" the upper brackets to conform to the larger tanks.
For the stock shroud it says that you may have to elongate the holes in the shroud or radiator support.

Don't know if any of this applies to your radiator it might help.....

Sounds like you are just about back together, how did it go?

Dan
Spec Service (UHP), BFG G-Force KDW's, Turbo Coupe 3.55 rear w/disks, 73mm calipers, Stg 1 Twisted Wedges, TFS Street Intake, 70mm TB, E cam, Crane 1.7's, Aeromotive FPR, BBK 1 5/8 shorties, elec fan, FMS Al Radiator, Moroso Wires, Kenne Bell Ramair, March pulleys, Race Magnums, 190 lph Walbro, FMS Al Dshaft, D/S loop, MM 4point rollbar, FMS C spngs, strut tower brace, Tokico Illuminas, Prothane bushings, MM Lwr Conrol Arms, KB welded subs, Cervini Mach 1 hood/valence/side skirts/wing/airdam.
DZEE'S LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 11:25 PM   #3
chris91LX
Registered Member

Thanks Dan. Yeah got it mostly together. Well, the only real problems were the balancer bolt breaking off and my torque wrench not being worth a damn, but I got it all together mostly. New heads are on, lower intake w/fuel rails and coolant lines are on, fuel pump and all the accessories are back on. Just need to put the radiator and BM fan in, upper intake, maf and rehook the exhaust and I'll be ready to start this bad dog up. Just need to find the time this week and hopefully hit the dyno next week. I'll post how it goes, hopefully the weather will cooperate so I can take it out next Saturday and test this bad mother out!
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 12:38 AM   #4
onefastlx420
Registered Member

it may be ghetto but i used plastic ties to hold the shroud on and its worked for 5 months
89lx cocaine white,cobra wing/emblems,chrome 18in cobra r's/nitto xtremes, gt40 longblock from ccm,forged pistons,f303,1.6 rockers,performer rpm intake,70mm tb,75mm bullet,bbk fenderwell induction,24#inj,190l pump,bbk fuel pressure regulator,140amp alt,msd ignition/disributor,aluminum 3 row radiator,bbk shorty's,off road h pipe,flowmasters,king cobra clutch,world class t-5,3.73's,strut tower brace,subframe connectors
onefastlx420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 10:07 AM   #5
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Mine went in fine with the "reshaping" of the upper brackets. The stock shroud fit ok, I also installed a flex fan at the same time due to mulitple cracks in the sock fan. I had some tight fan to shroud clearence and rubbed. Re-tweaking of the shroud clips underneath got things working fine.

I still can't imagine nobody makes larger upper mounts to fit the larger radiators in easy. The "reshaping" makes them look like crap. And the originals look like crap anyways.

I did not even know the 3 row was not stock till I removed the old radiator, I had just bought the car and knew it had a leaky radiator, ( 7 empty prestone gallons inside the car was a clue too!). It runs nice and cool, seems to be worth the trouble!

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote