MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-06-2001, 11:03 PM   #1
rtz
Registered Member

Question Tires Balanced?

When you all get new tires, do you get them balanced?

Do you get clip on wheel weights? Do you get them put on the inside or outside of the wheel?

When I get some new Draglites, I'm tempted to just get tires mounted on them and skip getting the weights clamped on them.

What do you all think?

How much are the tires out of balance these days and do those 1/2 ounce weights they put on the wheels even make a difference?
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 11:16 PM   #2
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Q. When you all get new tires, do you get them balanced?

A. Yes, this is important to the life of not only the tire but the other suspension components as well.

Q. Do you get clip on wheel weights? Do you get them put on the inside or outside of the wheel?

A. Generally speaking the best way to balance the wheel would be to dynamically balance the wheel/tire assembly (placing weights on both sides). However this might not be a practical solution due to the rim design or for appearance reasons. For drag duty it is prefferable to have tape on weights (or clip on weights secured by duct tape.)

Q. What do you all think?

A. Get it done unless you are a saddist with a well endowed girl friend/boy friend or you like replacing related components that wear out prematurely

Q. How much are the tires out of balance these days and do those 1/2 ounce weights they put on the wheels even make a difference?

A. Yep, generally anything down to a 1/4 oz. is perceptible.

MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 11:39 PM   #3
rtz
Registered Member

So I should just get them to put the weights on the inside of the wheel then?

http://www.tribune5oh.com/
Old 03-07-2001, 12:02 AM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Man, that is a real clear, clean, high quality photo. Looks good. Same rims like mine. I just love Welds.

Miracle Max just about said it all and pretty succinctly too.
Reiterating:
Yes I got mine balanced with clip on weights on the inside of the rim. Don't skip the balancing.
I think dried watermelon tastes nasty.
The weights make a difference.
Dude, it's not that much of a hassle and it is cheap to get the wheels balanced.

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55 gears (Now that's more like it!!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body

[This message has been edited by Fox Body (edited 03-07-2001).]
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 12:25 AM   #5
rtz
Registered Member

I'd just hate to clip those weights onto brand new wheels, and I'd get in and out of the tire shop faster if they could skip balancing the tires.

Maybe save a few bucks too..

If that machine that puts the tire on the wheel wasn't so much, I'd buy one and mount my own tires.
Old 03-07-2001, 12:53 AM   #6
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Dude! as a guy who mounts and balances tires for a buck, I can honestly attest to the fact that it takes less time and skill to balance a tire than to mount it. As for saving money in the long run. It ain't gonna happen. those tires will bounce up and down the road beating themselves to death. Causing the tires to develop a wear pattern (If I remeber correctly, it should be a diagonal wear pattern with each diagonal area alternating up and down in relation to the other). this assumes somedbody isn't using a bubble balancer. BTW you could have mounted your tires by yourself by hand. If the rim is 15x8 or 15 x 7 and they are 235's or 255's I couldn't see clearly (but they looked like 235's) you just had to lube them up and work them on by hand. (easier than it seems with aftermarket rims designed for drag racing). The harder part would have been airing them up if the tire was a bit to narrow on the rim.

Anyways, IMO I would get tape weights and statically balance the wheels (put weights on the inside)

BTW, I dunno where you live but if your in the Va area, specifically the peninsula, Then drop by the Costco in Newport News, and ask for me (they might look at you wierd if you say MiracleMax ), but they only charge 4 bucks a wheel to balance a set of mounted rims and tires. In any event if you are close to a Costco and are a member, you can't beat 4 bucks a wheel to extend the life of your tires.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 01:47 AM   #7
DZEE'S LX
Registered Member

BALANCE, BALANCE, BALANCE!!!

If you paid that much for those wheels and tires go the little bit more and take everyones advice.

I'm sure you're like the rest of us Stangers who are a step above the general public. Probably 99% of them balance their tires, so make sure you do it right. Make us proud!!

------------------
Spec Service (UHP), Paint, 16x7.5 ALBA's w/BFG G-Force KDW's, TC 3.55's w/disks, K Bell Ramair, March pulleys, Race Magnums, D/S loop, MM 4point rollbar, FMS C springs & strut tower brace, Tokico Illuminas, KB welded subs.
DZEE'S LX is offline   Reply With Quote