MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-06-2001, 01:58 PM   #1
Ford Vader
Registered Member

Red face Car stalling in the mornings.....Please help!

Hi, I have a 1990 GT 5 spd, bone stock, that just turned 61000 miles. When I start it up for the first time every day it keeps stalling when I come to a stop until the engine warms up. Once the engine is warm it still occasionally stalls, usually if I drive down a hill and stop at the bottom of the hill (I live in the mountains). A few weeks ago I changed the plugs, wires, cap & rotor, and air filter, but that hasn't made any difference.
What should I check? Please let me know any suggestions that you have.
Thanks!

Mike
Ford Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 02:11 PM   #2
white00GT
Registered Member

Question

You could try checking your fuel pressure. My car was doing that same thing after I put my blower on. Come to find out that it was the fuel pressure dropping of. Hope this helps.

------------------
2000 Mustang GT
white00GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 11:21 PM   #3
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

when you say cold do you mean just b4 it gets a chance to get warmed up or when it is below frezzing outside..try cleaning the IBS sensor first with some fuel injector cleaner...make sure not to use carb cleaner..now if you mean when the car hasnt gotten a chance to warm up and when going down hill then try turning up your idle screw then you have to reset the TPS..try this then repost

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 02:29 AM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I don't think it would hurt to get in there and clean the TB and EGR out too. I was having similar idle problems and they went away after cleaning all the induction components out. And removing the parts for a thorough cleaning isn't hard at all.

------------------
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 03:52 PM   #5
Green92LX
Registered Member

My guess is the idle air bypass too....by idiot friend with a 90 calls me one day bitchin his car won't idle after swapping heads...turns out he didn't even plug the damn thing in. But if the sensor isn't opening, the motor isn't getting enough air to maintain itself, so it stalls.

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, V-1 S-Trim @8LBS, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM, BBK equal length shorties, offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, Dark Green w/ 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 207K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 04:36 PM   #6
Ford Vader
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses! The problem happens when the engine hasn't warmed up yet, it doesn't matter if its cold or warm outside. Once the engine warms up it runs fine, except it occasianally stalls when I drive down a hill and stop and the bottom of the hill, it doesn't stall unless I stop.
I have noticed that the fuel pump is whining a little louder than it used to. And when the engine is cold and the idle surges a little, the fuel pump's noise goes back and forth from a high pitched whine to a low pitched whine. If the fuel pump was going bad would it be normal for it to work ok once the engine is warmed up? Or would I probably have a stalling problem all the time?
I'm going to work on it this weekend. I'll check the fuel pressure and try all of the suggestions you provided. Let me know if there's anything else I should check.
Thanks,
Mike
Ford Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 11:02 AM   #7
Godslayer
Registered Member

Check the computer!

The computer is the single most valuable part of the EEC-IV system. It will tell you if there are any sensors gone awry, very common to idle and starting problems like you describe. The computer controls the engine almost entirely and all it takes is one goofy sensor and the computer is totally lost as it can only compensate so much. Let us know what codes you pull.

------------------
87 GT
Full exhaust, K&N, KB Subs, BBK STB, homeade dumps...

87 Taurus
New York
Winters Bite!

Godslayer is offline   Reply With Quote