MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-29-2002, 01:08 AM   #1
Silver5.0
Registered Member

Default What should be my next mod?

I have a 91 gt 5.0 with 3:55's, rear disc brakes, mac headers, flowmaster cat-back, 190lph fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure reg, hpm lower control arms, racecraft springs, strut tower, g-load brace, TCI street fighter tranny, brazed converter, underdrive pulleys, k&n air filter, 9mm wires, ngk plugs. So now I'm wondering what should I get next that I would feel the most gain from, I can't afford heads yet and I don't want to do a cam until the heads, So would a black magic fan, C&L 76mm, X-Pipe, msd ignition I don't know? Thanks
Silver5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 01:38 AM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

off-road H-pipe all the way.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 02:18 AM   #3
89lxinwky
Registered Member

What tires are you running? If you're running street tires now and go to the strip to see your gains, definitely some stickier tires. I see you've got some suspension mods so you may already have the tires, if so then the H-pipe as mentioned might be good. I'm like you, I don't have the spare cash for new heads, but I borrowed a friends die grinder and ported my E7's, got a valve job, and new springs and I was only out about $260. That would help if you wanted to go that route.
MAC headers, Flowmasters,
3.73 gears, Steeda Tri-AX, Mickey ET Streets,
Vortech V1-SC, 38# injectors, Crane InterceptorII

7.9's @92mph (traction enhancement devices needed)
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 05:40 PM   #4
Silver5.0
Registered Member

89LX thanks thats a good idea did changing the valves and polishing the heads make a good amount of difference could you feel it. Also I don't have slicks yet I have 245/40/17 in the back and same in the front but 235's. Also I should go with an off road h pipe and not an x-pipe.Thanks again
Silver5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 09:16 PM   #5
89lxinwky
Registered Member

If emissions testing is not a concern, then go for the off road h-pipe. As far as the heads go, I ported and polished them myself, kept the stock valves, got a valve job, and TFS valve springs good to .542 lift. I thought about going to a bigger valve but I wanted to spend as little money on the stock heads as possible because I plan on upgraded in a year or two. With the last rounds of mods I did, there is a noticable difference. Along with the head work, I switched to a GT-40 intake and ported the lower a little to match up better with the heads. I also went from stock to 70mm tb, added the TFS stage 1 cam, and added an adjustable fpr. That got me from 8.78 @79 to 8.38@83 in the 1/8. This equates to around 40 hp increase.
First off though, you have to be able to get the hp to the ground and the biggest concern is tires. If you want to keep the 17" wheels, I'd get some 15" slicks or drag radials mounted on some old rims to run at the track. Before I did the last mods to my car, I raced an '01 Cobra and beat him narrowly. He probably had 50-60 more hp than me but rolling out a big cloud of smoke won't help the ET.
MAC headers, Flowmasters,
3.73 gears, Steeda Tri-AX, Mickey ET Streets,
Vortech V1-SC, 38# injectors, Crane InterceptorII

7.9's @92mph (traction enhancement devices needed)
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote