MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-08-2003, 07:44 AM   #1
LM5000
Registered Member

Question white face's how to

can anybody help me with this ? I just bought a new white face gauge but there is no instruction. I have been looking into different websites and found nothing. Most of them give instructions on newer model from 94 and up, but no information found on older model like 87 to 93. The type of white face that i purchased is reverse glow which change into different color at night. There are connectors attached on each faces, it also comes with extra hardness with three wire attached to this black little square box, one wire (red/black color) one with four connectors ( i guess to connect it to the faces ) and the last one looks like ribbon with sticker at the end. Please, if anyone can shine me some light, I would greatly appreciate.

Thank You
93 coupe LX with procarparts cold air system, 4.10 gear,BBK headers, hedman X pipe, mac catback system, aluminum drive shaft, cobra tranny, king cobra clutch, march pullies, Edelbrok intake (port), 73 mm mass air, 3 cores radiator, nitrous works 125 shots, blue thunder shifter with aluminum knob, lakewook traction bars, and weld 15x6 front and 15x10 rear.
LM5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:21 PM   #2
LM5000
Registered Member

WELL ?!? ANYBODY ?
93 coupe LX with procarparts cold air system, 4.10 gear,BBK headers, hedman X pipe, mac catback system, aluminum drive shaft, cobra tranny, king cobra clutch, march pullies, Edelbrok intake (port), 73 mm mass air, 3 cores radiator, nitrous works 125 shots, blue thunder shifter with aluminum knob, lakewook traction bars, and weld 15x6 front and 15x10 rear.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:26 AM   #3
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Its pretty straight forward. I got the El-Glo's on mine. Took about 2 hours. Disassambe the dash. Cant be more specfic about it, just look for anything that is attach and remove it. Remove the Hazards and light switchs, the un plug from the back. Once you have a clear shot at the cluster, take all the screws out holding it. pull it out slowly and reach around on each side and pull out the wire harness. To remove the speddo cable, I think you have to twist and push in than pull out. Once you have the cluster out, take off the clear plastic peice. You should now have firect acces to the needles on the guages. Either take a digital pic of where the needles are pointing or draw yourself a diagram. With the supplied tool, gently pull the needles up and off. If your Elglos are like mine, you just lay them over the top of the factorys faces. Put the needles back on acording to what the pic you took looks like. Reverse this whole process to put back in.

As for the wiring, Tie the power into the headlight switch (Use a test light to find out witch wire to butt into). Find a grond somewhere and then mount the controler somewhere. Mine is attached to a existing screw by the door.

Hope this helps.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
LM5000
Registered Member

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIED, ACKBAR00. ANOTHER QUESTION PLEASE, YOU STATED THAT YOU PUT NEW FACES ON TOP OF THE OLD ONE, CAN YOU STILL SEE THE LIGHT THROUGH AT NIGHT ? I'VE JUST READ ARTICLE FROM SOMEWHERE SUGGESTED THAT PEEL OFF THE OLD FACE, CLEAN THE GLUE OFF FROM THE CLEAR PLASTIC AND LAY THE NEW FACES BUT THAT WAS FOR 94 AND LATER.
AS FAR AS THE WIRES GO, YOU SAID ONE WIRE IS TO THE POWER, THAT MUST BE A REGULAR WIRE (RED/BLACK), THE OTHER WIRE WITH 4 CONNECTORS SHOULD HOOK UP TO THE CONNECTOR FROM EACH FACE BUT WHAT ABOUT THE LAST ONE THAT LOOK LIKE RIBBON WITH STICKER AT THE END ? IS THAT THE GROUND WIRE THAT YOU MENTIONED ? SHOULD I JUST STICK IT ANYWHERE INSIDE THE CLUSTER THAT MADE WITH THE METAL ? THANK YOU AGAIN.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:33 PM   #5
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Not sure about you having to take off your old faces or not. My El-Glos have clear spots in it for like the turn signal and cheack engine lights. So that when they light up, you can see them. If your does not have this, thatn I would say you need to peel off the old ones and clean the backing than reapply the ne ones.

As for the wires, I am going off the top of my head here, wont know till I get home and confirm it. But I do know that you want to find a good ground and not just a little screw. I think mine is near the fuse box. Did you instructions say anything about which wire is what? You have a 50/50 shot on which is the power and wich is the ground. But if you get them crossed, it will probley FUBAR the gauge lights. Make sure before you hook it up. Is this one of those of of E-Bay? If it is, Mabey you could E-Mil the seller and get some info on which wire is what.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 04:12 PM   #6
LM5000
Registered Member

I think I can figure that out now ( per your instruction ) red to power and black to ground. That ribbon with sticker I think ithat would be swithches because it looks like two small buttons underneath clear plastic. I tried by pressing it and it feels like one.
well, wish me luck. oh! the guage I bought was from procarparts.com, I called them and asked for instruction and they told me that all the products they are selling do not come with instruction. I found this very strange and they told me to have professional install the guage for me, righttt! but the positive things about them are their products quality and prices. I paid 40 bucks for the gauge and 60 bucks for cold air system ( similar to those from MAC.) All pipes and clamps are chrome and top notch. I guess nobody is perfect, hah.