MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-07-2003, 10:02 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default speedo makin noise

I have a stock 90 GT w/ 112k miles. Ever since I bought the car w/ 92k miles on it, every once in a while (once a week at least)the speedo gauge makes the most ANNOYING sound. Its sort of a sqealing noise that increases in freguency as you increase speed. I tried to put some lubricating spray on the area where the speedo enters the gauge cluster but it didnt work. It seems to happen on damp/rainy days, but I could be wrong. Anbody had this problem? Any ideas on the cause?
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:30 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default speedo cable

Sounds like you are in need of a new speedometer cable. Noise coming from the speedometer...usually means a new cable is in order.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:50 PM   #3
mpj76
Registered Member

My car does the same thing at lower speeds when its cold outside. I haven't looked into it yet, but a buddy of mine mentioned something about being able to push grease up through the cable housing via a fitting and a grease gun from the tranny end. It has to be pushed through very slowly. If it works, it would be much easier than removing dash components.
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 04:08 PM   #4
shadow
Registered Member

Get some speedometer cable lube at any auto parts store. Take the gauge cluster off and pull the speedo cable out. Lubricate the whole thing and reassemble. Should fix your problems.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 05:36 PM   #5
LayanRubr
Registered Member

On my old blazer, its speedo still squeaks anyhow, we tried to lubricate the cable. Still does the exact problem you describe, but hey maybe we did it wrong. I think we used a type of silicon grease. Took the dash out and greased it out. Anyhow you might end up having to get a new one.
Rice Hater's Club member #20
LayanRubr is offline   Reply With Quote