MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-17-2003, 12:59 AM   #1
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default Pistons??

I am building a 306 with afr 185's with the 58cc chambers, which have 2.02 and 1.60 valves in them. I plan on using a victor jr intake and haven't picked a cam yet. Probably something in the neighborhood of the F cam. I really like the comp cams 35-226-3, which is a flat tappet cam with the 280H grind. It has a little more duration than the F. I also like the trick flow stage 1 cam. I want 10:1 compression since I don't ever plan on adding nitrous or a blower. With 10:1 and 2.02's, I can't run that much lift. I was looking at some keith black silvolite pistons in the summit book. The part number is UEM-KB116030-8. This is kinda what I am looking for. What pistons do you suggest?

Another question: Anyone using Desktop Dyno 2000 by Mr. Gasket? I love the program, but I think it is misleading. What do you think of the program?

Thanks for all replies.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:38 PM   #2
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Quote:
With 10:1 and 2.02's, I can't run that much lift.
You should be fine... I ran 10-10.5:1 compression with 2.02" Edel. RPM heads (60cc) last year with a 230°/238° .600"/.600" lift cam and had over .125" P/V clearance.

I would recommend JE/SRP pistons... as they are a much higher quality, IMHO, than the Keith Black pistons. However, they are a bit more pricey, but you get what you pay for.

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 03:33 PM   #3
Ieatcamaros

Why not the Keith blacks? I don't want forged pistons since I will never run a power adder. Can you give me a link to some good pistons? All I plan to do with the car drive it on the street and an occasional trip to the track.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:52 PM   #4
bottlebaby91
Registered Member

i would suggest forged even though you arent running a power adder. 5.0's came form the factory with forged in 87-late 92. Even thoguh you dont plan to run a power adder, in the future you just might want to.
bottlebaby91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 06:19 PM   #5
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by Ieatcamaros
Why not the Keith blacks? I don't want forged pistons since I will never run a power adder. Can you give me a link to some good pistons? All I plan to do with the car drive it on the street and an occasional trip to the track.
I gotta disagree (as usual lol). I think the keith Black hyperutectics are good pistons, and they sell a ton of them. On a naturally asperated motor for mostly street use, I can't see the sense in spending that much more money for a high end forged piston? Not to mention there are some atvantages to hyperutectics on a street motor, not the least of which is the ability to run tighter clearances which give you better ring seal and longer ring life (piston doesn't rock in the bore as much).
The difference between the Keith Blacks at $222.00 and a set of Ross Forgings at $513.00 is $291 bucks ... add another $69 bucks to your $291.00 savings and you have enough to get your cca-k31-226-3 cam kit (cam, lifters, valve springs, retainers, locks, stem seals and timing chain set with instructions !)
Unless you're building a race car where only the best will do, its all about value! Thats how well it fits your application verses cost. Think hard because if down the road you decide to supercharge it or pour the N2O to it then the best value would be to get the forgings now. IMHO
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 06:43 PM   #6
Ieatcamaros

Well, I should be ok to run some 10:1 pistons with a cam something like the F. I did forget to mention that this is a carbed set up. Much easier to build and IMHO they sound so much better than a fuelie. I think I am going to use the comp cams cl35-226-3. It is a 280/280 .512/.512 hyd. flat tappet cam. Doesn't make as much power as the roller but it is cheaper and only cost me about 20hp or so. Like Hotroddin put it, it is not worth spending the money for something I don't need. I am going to get the Keith Blacks or some speed pro's. Anyone use speed pro's powerforged pistons?
Old 08-17-2003, 07:09 PM   #7
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by Ieatcamaros
Anyone use speed pro's powerforged pistons?
I know its not a very good way to judge things, but i ran across a new box of speed pro's at the Hot Rod swap meet here awhile back. Picked one up and was very unimpressed with the finish on them. Burrs and sharp edges everywhere?? They were at the swap meet, so maybe they were seconds or something? i don't know ? but they were new in the box, and finish wise at least, they didn't look nearly as good as the Keith Blacks. I'm not trying to diss them, thats just my observation, take it for whats it worth
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:12 PM   #8
Ieatcamaros

I was pretty well dead set on some keith blacks. They have the reputation. Decision is made now.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:27 AM   #9
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default higher dollar pistons

I can see the argument for not needing the more expensive pistons if there will be no power adders. But, aren't the higher dollar pistons usually lighter to begin with....thus making the rotating assembly lighter = a little more power...better revving engine?
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 06:07 PM   #10
Ieatcamaros

You got a point. The extra power gains from lighter pistons is little. Or imo not worth twice the price.