MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-09-2003, 12:39 PM   #1
Scrapla
Registered Member

Default Good oil

My cars a 90gt with over 130k whats a good oil you all would recomend I just been using what the haynes manuel says so far but maybe you guys know something better, I live in south florida and dont have to worry about anything freezing.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:49 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default synthetic oil

With that many miles on the motor I'd suggest Mobil-1 synthetic 20/50w oil. It's expensive compared to non-synthetic oils...but the benefits...especially on a tired motor...are worth it.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:59 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I do not reccomend using synthetic on a high mileage engine.

A good 10-30 weight oil such as Castrol should do the job.

JMO,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:30 PM   #4
Simi Stang

Default synthetic oil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
I do not reccomend using synthetic on a high mileage engine.
How come? High mileage motors would benefit the most from synthetics.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:46 PM   #5
Tony Frank
Registered Member

i personally dont use synthetics, but i know that castrol gtx is good quality oil.

1985 Mustang GT 19,000 ORIGINAL miles, E-303 cam, edelbrock performer RPM intake, holley 600 cfm carb, MAC headers, windage tray, 8.8 rear end with 4.10 gears, 4"cowl hood, 5lug conversion, 04 Mach1 wheels.

http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1501
Tony Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:47 PM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: synthetic oil

Quote:
Originally posted by Simi Stang
How come? High mileage motors would benefit the most from synthetics.
Synthetic oil cleans the hell out of the inside of engine which is great. But with an old high mileage engine the seals and gaskets are not what they used to be and the engine will leak oil if you use synthetic.

If you start out using synthetic when an engine is new then its ok to use it forever cause the engine is used to it.

But your not supposed to start using synthetic oil on a high mileage engine that is used to conventional oil.

Some people use synthetic oil on high mileage engines with no problems and some people develope oil leaks right away.

It all depends on the condition of your motor,
Old 01-09-2003, 11:24 PM   #7
93calcobra
Registered Member

castrol
2003 lincoln ls
93calcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:34 PM   #8
Storm911
Registered Member

I personally use Mobil 10w-30 oil and a Fram filter. K-mart has it onsale for a dollar a quart every so often. A the dodge dealer we use bulk Shell oil.

1986 Ford Mustang GT
5.0L Primer Gray
Storm911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 08:28 AM   #9
PKRWUD

Default Re: Re: synthetic oil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
Synthetic oil cleans the hell out of the inside of engine which is great. But with an old high mileage engine the seals and gaskets are not what they used to be and the engine will leak oil if you use synthetic.

If you start out using synthetic when an engine is new then its ok to use it forever cause the engine is used to it.

But your not supposed to start using synthetic oil on a high mileage engine that is used to conventional oil.

Some people use synthetic oil on high mileage engines with no problems and some people develope oil leaks right away.

It all depends on the condition of your motor,
This is absolutely correct. It is generally considered safe to switch if the engine has 60k miles or less. There are many people that have successfully switched at much higher mileage, but I won't ever recommend it.

I personally use Mobil 1 in my truck, and Red Line in the Sprint car.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 08:32 AM   #10
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by Storm911
I personally use Mobil 10w-30 oil and a Fram filter. K-mart has it onsale for a dollar a quart every so often. A the dodge dealer we use bulk Shell oil.

Might want to rethink the filter. Fram is just about the crappiest filter made. I have taken them apart to verify this, and it is true. They use less filter media, and lower quality parts. WIX and Purolator are the best quality for the money, IMO.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 01-10-2003, 11:36 AM   #11
lx5091
Registered Member

I have successfully run 10w-30 and even 5w-30 in every car I've had regardless of the mileage. I theorize that Mobil 1 has the stuff to recondition old seals. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but the motors always seems to run better, sound healthier and stay running well. It seems that every car I've had, I've sold or traded in with it running as well or better than when I got it! Mobil 1 is the only thing I use on every car and I only feed them Mobil regular gas and mid-grade every 4-5 fill-ups.

I don't have the money to do the research myself, but I'll settle for 5+ years of actual experience with Mobil 1 and 7+ years with Mobile gasoline in over 13 different cars.

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 12:33 PM   #12
PKRWUD

In short, what happens is the Mobil 1 cleans away deposits that have built up over the years, and creates clearance issues throughout the engine, including the seals. An engine that was well taken care of, and had it's oil regularly changed, is less likely to develop such deposits, and would handle the change to synthetic much better.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 01-10-2003, 12:56 PM   #13
WADS56
gear banger

What PKRWUD says sounds good but i would like to see hard facts. Don't get me wrong PKRWUD knows allot more then me about this stuff, but I hear good points from both sides on this issue from reading about it on the internet.

I can say for a fact though that Castrol GTX, and Quakerstate sucks! I had the valvecovers off my old 83gt which I ran those two oils and there was allot of sludge (yes... every 3000 miles). I then switched to mobil 1 and after a few oil changes it was clean as a whistle. I had no leaks and it ran better also. The same goes for my 93lx to, I put in mobil 1 in it after 110,000 miles and no leaks plus a better running car.

Run what you want but it will last longer with mobil 1. Even if it does leak.

Wade
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 03:26 PM   #14
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WADS56
What PKRWUD says sounds good but i would like to see hard facts. Don't get me wrong PKRWUD knows allot more then me about this stuff, but I hear good points from both sides on this issue from reading about it on the internet.

I can say for a fact though that Castrol GTX, and Quakerstate sucks! I had the valvecovers off my old 83gt which I ran those two oils and there was allot of sludge (yes... every 3000 miles). I then switched to mobil 1 and after a few oil changes it was clean as a whistle. I had no leaks and it ran better also. The same goes for my 93lx to, I put in mobil 1 in it after 110,000 miles and no leaks plus a better running car.

Wade
It is a no brainer that mobil 1 synthetic is the best oil and will perform better than others. The only issue is possible oil leaks.

I think Castrol phuckin rocks. Personaly I use a castrol synthetic blend on my high mileage CRX, Mobil 1 5-20 weight synthetic in my cobra and stang.

JMO,
Old 01-10-2003, 04:11 PM   #15
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by WADS56

Wade
Your own post kinda proves my point. Mobil 1 cleans out deposits. When the deposits are gone, you are left with empty space. In an engine, where there's empty space, there will eventually be oil.

I don't have and documented facts, just experience. I've seen engines w/ 50k miles start leaking with synthetic oil, and I've seen ones with 150k miles that didn't leak. The difference was in how often their oil was changed prior to switching to synthetic.

Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 01-13-2003, 12:16 AM   #16
gtsr515
Registered Member

Default Oil

I would go with 10-40 Valvoline Max Life...it is formulated for high mileage....they have a whole line of "high mileage" lubricants.

Stopped my 180,000 mile Lincoln's rear main leak by 50-60%

Jay
Old 01-13-2003, 09:33 AM   #17
Deividas93GT
Registered Member

Whats the best oil filter then? WIX?
Old 01-13-2003, 04:54 PM   #18
crazypete
Registered Member

Well, I think this has been beaten to death already, but here is my experience....

My 129K motor, when I use synthetic mobil 1 10w-30, burns off a quart every 300 miles (!!!! Yeah, that's what I said). When I use regular 10w-30 dino juice (castroL), I dont burn a darn thing. Yeah, the oil is black, but there's not much missing. Guess the previous owners did not change the oil often enough!

I love putting in additives, too, fluids containing teflon and other friction helpers. I put in a quart of "nu-power" and the oil pressure guage now rides in the high area instead of the middle and it seems that the car is easier to start and idles smoother.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 07:08 AM   #19
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

I use Kendall 20w50 and a motorcraft filter every 2000 miles. I love both. When I can not get the Kendall I use Valvoline Race 20w50. I have never owned a motor with less than 70,000 miles on it.
To be old and wise, You must first be young and stupid I'm somewhere in tthe middle.
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote