MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-12-2003, 10:38 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Smile 351 dual sump Canton pan leaking so I pulled the engine

Anyone had a bad oil leak with these pans? Mine is at the rear rubber 4-piece gasket. I want to make sure this is the last time I pull this thing until something breaks!

Any ideas on how to fix this right? I plan to use some silicon but is there anything else I should know. This pan shouldn't leak for the price I paid!
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:45 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Didn't we already go over this? If the gasket surface on the pan is straight, and the surfaces thoroughly cleaned, it won't leak. The only silicone you need is a small dab at the corners where the end of each seal meet the block. THAT'S IT! Any more silicone will cause problems.

The only other possibility is you have the wrong end seal (unlikely), or the pan isn't truly flush. To check it, clean it completely, get a flashlight, and a large piece of glass (a big picture works great). Turn on the flashlight, and set it in the middle of the glass, with the glass sitting flat on a table. Place the oil pan OVER the flashlight, and set it on the glass, in effect hiding the flashlight. Turn off the lights in the room. Walk around the table, looking at the point where the pan meets the glass. If the pan is bent at all, the light from the flashlight will show you where. Correct the imperfections until it's perfectly flat, and you're good to go.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 06:37 AM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Yes I think that we did but I couldn't find the thread so I figured I'd give it another shot since the engine is on the stand. Thanks for reposting these instructions....I'm sure it'll help.

Thanks again PKRWUD!
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Old 06-13-2003, 06:55 AM   #4
DemonGT
Registered Member

iv heard alot of bad things bout the 4 peice gaskets...ill be using a oil pan gasket from a 95 lightning
'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Crane retro fit lifters,Scorpian 1.6 RR's,Melling HV oil pump,MSD distro.,Canton oil pan,FMS flywheel,Romac balancer,FMS timing chain,Accufab 90mm TB,C&L 76mm maf, 42lbers,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Pro dumps,powerchamber,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Ford Racing gauges,5inch Tach,centerline convo pro's,nitto DR's,Pro3i lower control arms,50/50 shocks,3.55 gears,TFS HD diff. cover

Next year:

Tremec TKO,Spec stage 3 clutch,alum driveshaft,complete fuel system

www.angelfire.com/linux/demondan
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:25 PM   #5
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_ROTY
Yes I think that we did but I couldn't find the thread so I figured I'd give it another shot since the engine is on the stand. Thanks for reposting these instructions....I'm sure it'll help.

Thanks again PKRWUD!
LOL! I knew I said it recently to someone, but there's so many, I lose track of who. lol. Sorry.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 01:15 PM   #6
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Chris,

She's out. But man I'm ticked! That Canton pan is warped about an 1/8th in. I put it on two 2X4's and I could tap one end of the pan down. The ridge at the rear is not a good curve. Not happy with that pan at all.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:38 PM   #7
84gt347
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_ROTY
Chris,

She's out. But man I'm ticked! That Canton pan is warped about an 1/8th in. I put it on two 2X4's and I could tap one end of the pan down. The ridge at the rear is not a good curve. Not happy with that pan at all.
I bought a pro 5.0 pan from coast and it leaks around the front, where it curves to go around the crank. I used a one piece fel pro gasket and it leaked like crazy. Piss poor quality. I would buy a good pan if i knew who made them. I may go back to the stock pan.
All Forced ( one way or another)
84gt347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 07:16 PM   #8
crewzin
Registered Member

Default leaky

My Canton leaks where the welds are all over the pan. That pan is crap! Im gonna take it off and epoxy all the welds then sand them down. The coating looks like it is oxidizing or something too.
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 02:19 PM   #9
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Canton is crap. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2003, 10:59 PM   #10
andy669
Registered Member

My Canton, and everyone I've installed leaks. (and its not because I dont know what I'm doing) The Canton with the kickout is one of the best pans available for drag racing. Its worth some power so I put up with the leaks.

The best thing I've found for them is to use the Fel-Pro one piece gasket, dab some silicon in the corners, then after its installed, run a bead on the front and back on the humps.

If you've got one that leaks from the welds, you need a new pan.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote