MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-10-2003, 02:17 PM   #1
pearlgt
Registered Member

Question the truth about pullies please?

I just got my first gt mustangs and looking for the truth about underdrive pullies Im hearing for the money that the are a great mod also what about a mac cold air kit (fenderwell) I want my car to run mid to high 12's but it is my daily driver please help thanks
pearlgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
WADS56
gear banger

Pullies do free up some hp but can cause more of a headache then there worth. They were on my 93 and were causing charging problems at idle, and the ac wouldn't be as cold at idle also. I replaced them with stock pullies and it was all fixed but I did notice the car lost a little pep.
I wouldn't get a CAI till you do some induction mods (MAF, TB, intake). Just remove the air silencer and you just bought yourself a CAI.
IMO you should spend the money for the pullies and CAI on a set of new gears
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 02:34 PM   #3
Simi Stang

Default pullies

What year is your stang? Since it sounds like your car is stock, you will definitely benefit from underdrive pullies. They help the motor run through the rpms faster for sure. The main drawback is that they turn the alternator & water pump a little slower, so if you are doing a lot of driving in traffic or even idleing at a stop light your headlights & dash lights may dim some (if you're driving at night) and your amps will drop down some. And if it's a really hot day and you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic there is a chance of overheating due to the fact that the water pump is turning slower than stock at an idle. In my opinion you'll be fine though. It's worth the small risk of driveability problems...& definitely worth the $$!
Old 06-10-2003, 02:38 PM   #4
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Well, I agree with WADS56. I installed some pullies on the GT a while back. I then experienced cooling problems not only at idle, but occasionaly on the freeway as well. Of course, I live in thin air (high altitude) with little or no humidity, and during the summer, temps range from 90 to 110. I swapped back to the stock water pump pulley and this helped. However, I still have occasional problems, especially in traffic. I'm about to swap back to the stock crank pulley as well. Also, at night the output of the alternator drops pretty low with the lights and vent going.

Anyway, pullies will free up a couple of horsepower for you. Expect about 5-10 hp. However, don't overlook the potential side effects. Of course, there will be others who have never had any issues whatsoever with pullies.

I concur with WADS56 on the gears suggestion as well. They will have a significant impact on the acceleration of your vehicle without increasing horsepower. And, if you really want mid 12's, you will need gears. 3.37's for a T-5 and 4.10's for an AOD is what I suggest.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 02:40 PM   #5
pearlgt
Registered Member

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, I JUST RAN AN OFFROAD H PIPE WITH TWO CHAMBER FLOWS NOW TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT TO PURCHASE NEXT, I HAVE A SET OF 373 WITH AN AUBURN UNIT COMING FOR THE CAR (IT IS A FIVE SPEED) AGAIN THIS IS MY FIRST GT SO ANY INFO IS HELPFUL THROTTLE BODY THINGS LIKE THAT THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK GUYS
pearlgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:30 PM   #6
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I did notice a little bit of pep, but not a drastic difference. I have never had cooling issues to the point where I thought it was going to over heat. It does tend to run hotter than it did, but never above normal. As far as charging, I had 3 amps, 1 - 15" sub, 2 - 6x9's, 2 - 5x7's and 2 - 3 1/2's and a crossover in my car and never had a dead battery. My lights would dim a little when I stopped, but it wasnt noticeable until I revved or took off. The CAI is garbage on a pretty much stock car. The only thing it has done for me is, it whistles when you hit the gas because of the air running through the filter and it sounds kind of cool. That didnt start until I got my TB though. And people say on a car with the stock intake and heads, anything over 65mm TB will kill low end, but my times improved a little (maybe .05 to .1) when I installed it. With better flowing heads and intake, the TB is a must. I say get some headers too. You can pick them up on ebay for a good price. I got mine used at a speed shop for $70. Hope this helps and congrats on the purchase.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 06:17 PM   #7
jimberg
Registered Member

Re: CAIs

Mustangs already come with cold air intakes. The only bottleneck is the air tube. If you replace that with a rigid pipe, it'll be just as good if not better. Just make sure you get a K&N filter.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:26 PM   #8
raptor
Registered Member

Mods 1st to last under $500 gears, k&n filter, Pro-m maf 77mm 65mm throttlebody,bore egr spacer and upper intake to match t/b, advance timing to 16use 94octane, 160f thermostat, underdrive pullies.....I only use the crank and water pump pullies the altenator didn't turn fast enough. fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure reg. I think thats all the cheap easy stuff I know of.
88GT, 331Stroker,FMS 70mm TB,77mm Pro-M mass air,Ram Air,K&N,GT40/Exployer Intakes,Gasket Matched,FMS 24lb injectors,Crane hi-6 ignition system,B303 cam,Crane 1.6RR,FMS underdrive pullies,351W/heads,port/polish,FMS h/f oil pump,Hedman headers,2 1/2in H pipe Flow Masters,190lph Holley fuel pump,Center Force dual friction,FMS 3.55,Hurst short throw/ trigger T handle,Subframe connectors,Welded torque boxes.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 08:56 AM   #9
Joe50
Registered Member

Raptor...you are making matters worse by not using the alternator pulley...the alternator pulley from the underdrive pulleys should be smaller than stock - which actually speeds the alternator back up. This is the first thing they teach you in Machine Design.

'94 Vibrant Red GT
Joe50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:56 AM   #10
raptor
Registered Member

Sorry its the water pump pulley I don't use. Had to go look at the car
88GT, 331Stroker,FMS 70mm TB,77mm Pro-M mass air,Ram Air,K&N,GT40/Exployer Intakes,Gasket Matched,FMS 24lb injectors,Crane hi-6 ignition system,B303 cam,Crane 1.6RR,FMS underdrive pullies,351W/heads,port/polish,FMS h/f oil pump,Hedman headers,2 1/2in H pipe Flow Masters,190lph Holley fuel pump,Center Force dual friction,FMS 3.55,Hurst short throw/ trigger T handle,Subframe connectors,Welded torque boxes.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:00 AM   #11
jimberg
Registered Member

So it's your water pump that's turning slower than it should.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:16 AM   #12
raptor
Registered Member

Well now you really got me thinking. So I got my old pullies out and compared them. I don't use the altenator pulley. Like I first said. The stock one is smaller=more rpm=charging. The FMS crank pulley is way smaller and the FMS water pump is larger.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:31 PM   #13
jimberg
Registered Member

Sorry, I was wrong. I realized it after I hit the post button and it was too late. I then tried to erase it and that didn't work. Yes, the water pump pulley is bigger.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:52 AM   #14
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

I've had a same set of March pullies on my car for the last seven years without any issues. Even have the same stock alternator and Ford Motorcraft Silver battery that was new 7 years ago too.

Yes, your battery gauge will read lower at idle than with the stock pullies, but it's never been an issue for me.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 05:05 PM   #15
Jthompson
Registered Member

I have a set of mac underdrives on what is now my parts car. It also had a high flow water pump to compensate for the cooling issues. I only ran the car for a month, but the damn thin would never warm up and go past the first white line.
1994 POS head gasket clubbed broke down T-bird with $6000 left to pay off
Jthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 08:15 AM   #16
Philossifer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe50
the alternator pulley from the underdrive pulleys should be smaller than stock - which actually speeds the alternator back up
Joe50,
I have a set of March, PowderCoated Black, Underdrive pullies and the alternator pulley that came with this kit is larger than the stock one!

The March pullies have a smaller than stock crank pulley, a larger than stock alternator pulley and and larger than stock water pump pulley!

I went back to the stock pulley on the alternator becuase of charging problems. No problems now unless I'm idling for a long time at night with the headlights on, A/C on and the CD player kicking it out!
Phil
Philossifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 08:34 AM   #17
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default powermaster...

After putting the underdrives on, I just got a powermaster 140-amp alt to end the issue.

horsepower and amperage...sweet
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 05:46 PM   #18
BilLster
Registered Member

after adding wetter water i never have had a over heating problem but do have a problem getting to temp sometimes.

i also want to add a better alternator but i will always go with pulleys on my motors just cause.

electric fan also helps.