MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-15-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
tarmon8r
Registered Member

Default Upper Control Arm Bushing

I am getting ready to install my BBK upper control arms. With it, came some bushing that go into the rear. I believe they are polyurethane bushings that I have to replace my stock rubber ones. I have never replaced these bushings before. Any advice on removing the old ones and installing the new ones?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rearbushing.jpg (17.0 KB, 19 views)
1983 mustang, 393 cubic inch stroker small block, victor jr heads and intake, gold race 1.6 roller rockers. comp cam 304, 244@ .050. .576" hydralic retro roller cam,lunati rods. block was o-ringed,10:1 forged pistons, speed pro fit fit rings, clevite bearings,msd distributor and igniton,be cool huge radiator, black lite electric fan, march underdrive pulleys, mildon deep sump oil pan, mac 1 3.4" long tube headers, 3" dr gas x-pipe and mac exhaust,ARP bolts. car weighs 2900 lbs w/out driver, sub frames, weld wheels, mickey thompson sportsman pro 26 x 10.5 x 15's,#8 fuel line steel braided
tarmon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:23 AM   #2
gmhatr
Registered Member

Default Re: Upper Control Arm Bushing

you can either take a chizel and hammer and beat them out or heat it up and it should slide right out. When I replaced mine i did it both ways nad heating the sleve up was the easiest way.
gmhatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
tarmon8r
Registered Member

Ok, I will try that. How about when you are re-installing? any suggestions there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhatr
you can either take a chizel and hammer and beat them out or heat it up and it should slide right out. When I replaced mine i did it both ways nad heating the sleve up was the easiest way.
1983 mustang, 393 cubic inch stroker small block, victor jr heads and intake, gold race 1.6 roller rockers. comp cam 304, 244@ .050. .576" hydralic retro roller cam,lunati rods. block was o-ringed,10:1 forged pistons, speed pro fit fit rings, clevite bearings,msd distributor and igniton,be cool huge radiator, black lite electric fan, march underdrive pulleys, mildon deep sump oil pan, mac 1 3.4" long tube headers, 3" dr gas x-pipe and mac exhaust,ARP bolts. car weighs 2900 lbs w/out driver, sub frames, weld wheels, mickey thompson sportsman pro 26 x 10.5 x 15's,#8 fuel line steel braided
Old 02-15-2005, 11:05 PM   #4
chatcher
Registered Member

i ran a drill bit through the rubber a few times and they fell right out as for reinstallation mine slid right in after i cleaned out the hole
Old 02-16-2005, 01:12 AM   #5
gmhatr
Registered Member

did you grease them???
Old 02-16-2005, 04:13 AM   #6
tarmon8r
Registered Member

Thanks all. Took about 20 minutes to drill, grease and re-install. For my bushing, it was a 2 piece design. It had the bushing that replaced the one I drilled out, but it also had a donut that slid over it. The stock piece had no such piece. I assumed, and mostly likely assumed wrong, lol, that the piece slid over the bushing on the "front side" of the bushing if looking at it from the rear to disperse the load across the upper control arm and bushing. Would this be correct? It went together great. Greased and everything. Need to get a grease gun for the other end, but I am waiting for my lincoln 175 amp mig welder to show up before I finish installing so I can weld the torque boxes while I still have them out. Should be here most likely next week, they said they shipped welder today from florida.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:02 PM   #7
tarmon8r
Registered Member

I just wanted to throw in a quick pic of the rear. Peace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Feb16050003.jpg (25.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-17-2005, 01:26 AM   #8
gmhatr
Registered Member

ya that "donut" is a thrust washer. I did all my bushings front and rear last year and it helped out a lot. most the time not it is just a couple of wheel hops and hold on.