MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-31-2002, 02:19 PM   #1
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

Default BBK or MAC?

I need new headers for my car. Should I go with the BBK Jet-Hot coated equal length shorties? Or the MAC HTS coated equal length shorties? Which is a better quality header? Anyone know?
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 02:32 PM   #2
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

BBK!!! I've heard that the MAC hts coating flakes off after a while. Plus I'm not a fan of MAC headers. I really don't like there individual flanges. They warp over time and are a pain then the ... to reinstall.

Oh and TwiLighT, check your PM, I sent you something.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 03:39 PM   #3
chris91LX
Registered Member

BBK's I had the shorties before I got the LT's and never had a problem matching up an h pipe with them. I used to swap the stocker with a Bassani o/r x pipe and never had a problem with fit. I've heard the Macs all have fitment probs with everything except the Mac h pipes, they make them in differen't dimensions. I also never met anyone who had Macs and liked them.
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 03:46 PM   #4
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

HiFlow50, this may be a stupid question. But what do you mean check my PM? What is PM? Private message? I am new to this board, but I will figure it out

Last edited by TwiLighTBluEGT; 07-31-2002 at 03:52 PM..
Old 07-31-2002, 06:28 PM   #5
VeNuM
Registered Member

BBK, take it from someone who has MAC headers.

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:42 PM   #6
Mike Wolking
Registered Member

I run the BBK full lengths and i am pleased with everything but the coating. There starting to rust lightly after having for just one year now. I've heard of poor workmanship in the Macs.
90 coupe, Cobra brakes, 17x9 cobras MM lowers, SVO uppers, 3.73s, BBK 1 3/4 full lengths, H pipe, flows, subframes, H&R springs, Tokico 5-ways, Pro 5.0. Subframes, K&N, Strut brace, CC plates,83K miles, New Paint.....FOR SALE!
Mike Wolking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:26 PM   #7
nunly94gt
Registered Member

My LT's started to flake(BBK) but they remain intact. I sold them but I miss them. They sounded mean as heck. Especially when I converted to 3" exhaust on my 88.

Waiting in th shadows.......
306ci, 10.2:1 compression, edelbrock performer rpm heads, 2.02/1.60 valves, X303 cam, scorpion 1.72 rockers.
nunly94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 11:41 PM   #8
1hot5.0
Registered Member

I have talked to a couple of guys, and they say they like there mac headers, the coating just flakes off after a while due to engine temps. If you are on a budget, go with the macs, if not, I say go with the bbk's.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:32 AM   #9
94cobra2
Registered Member

I have had my BBK shortys for 2 years and there still in perfect shape.
Zex 75-125 shot, BBK equel lentgh headers, off road x-pipe, flowmaster 2 chamber. bbk underdrives, FMS 3:73, MSD 6al ignition, BBK cold air induction, 70mm throttle body, C&L mass air, K&N cone. Pro 5.0.
96 corba rear buber, 1998 cobra wheels 17/8, BFG Comp TA ZR 275/40 rear,245/45 front
Best ET 13.24@105.5
94cobra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:37 AM   #10
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I definately say BBK. I have the MAC equal shorties, and HiFlow50 is right, they warp. I bought them used, got a great deal, it took me all day to put them on. We had to use a pry-bar to line up the flanges with the heads. After all that I still had a leak. I bought an Bassani o/r X pipe, and had to cut it, bolt it to the header, and weld a sleeve onto it to cover the gap because it wouldn't fit. From what I hear, BBK's fit great.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:51 AM   #11
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

I'm actually in the market for headers as well. I have been looking at the BBKs, actually, pretty sure that I'm going to get them within the next week or so. I was curious about the "Jet-Hot" coating you guys are talking about. The ones I was looking at seemed to be the best that BBK had, and it said that they were polished ceramic and some guys were telling me that these were the best for the heat problems in the engine compartment.

Are these ones coated or not? And do you think that I should go with the equals or unequals?

And one more thing, where do you guys know the best prices on these, the best I found were at brothersperformance.com.

write back in this thread or PM me, I appreciate it guys.

Scott
Mostly stock(looking to modify)

Rice Haters Club Member #63
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 11:26 AM   #12
SlowGT
Registered Member

Hooker SuperComps.

They were the only equal length shorty I could find to match my exhaust ports. MAC & BBK were both too small. All the weld at the flange was inside the tube, so I couldn't port match the header. The Hookers were welded about 90% around the outside of the tube. Was able to grind out an almost perfect match.

Flowtech makes a good =length for 87-93. Put a set on an 87 over 4 years ago. Sold the car locally, and the guy still has them on.

I'm not familiar with the pricing on the coated headers. Is the cost of the coating worth the few HP gain?

New Slow GT--> under construction

Latest Addition: 95 Cobra R, #73, bone stock, ~6100 miles.
SlowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 11:54 AM   #13
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

SCOTTLT79-

The cermanic coated ones are the Jet-Hot coated ones. The best price that I have seen for them so far was $300. for the equal length Jet-Hot coated shorties from Summit. Good Luck
Old 08-01-2002, 06:50 PM   #14
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

Hey Twilight,
I just wanted to let you know that those headers on summit are $350 and they are $330 at brothersperformance.com. If you are buying more than headers, I would price the total purchase at both places and check shipping to get the best price. I think that brothers has the best prices on BBK, or so I've found so far. If anyone knows different, PLEASE let me know

Scott
Mostly stock(looking to modify)

Rice Haters Club Member #63
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:34 PM   #15
maverick0716
Registered Member

The Jet Hot (ceramic) coated headers do not give you any horsepower increase however they do look a hell of a lot better than any other finish and it lasts too. They also do a great job of keeping underhood temps down.
maverick0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:08 PM   #16
Mach 1
Registered Member

testing, disregard
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 10:00 AM   #17
WheelsUp
Registered Member

Thumbs up Just an opinion

I have never been a fan of mixing and matching parts especially exhaust components because there are too many little variables that can make things not line up right.
If you decide to go with the Brother's stuff buy the headers and the h-pipe from them,if you do the same with Mac do it. Yes I know Dr.Gas makes a killer X-pipe,and a few others out there,but mixing and matching parts I feel is not good.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:54 AM   #18
SlowGT
Registered Member

No mix and match???

Does that mean that my engine would work better if I didn't have Hooker headers, pacesetter H-pipe & a flowmaster cat back? What about my heads...I've got CompCams springs, locks & retainers attached to my Milodon MegaFlo valves being pushed by my Crane Hi-Intensity roller rockers all one happy family on my World Product heads. Will my timing stay good even though I'm using a Cloyes chain on a Ford adjustable sprocket? Or how about brand-X C-clip eliminators on Moser axles in a Strange spool in a Ford 8.8 housing? Just some curious questions.

Mix and match (IMHO) is the only way to go. Very seldom does one manufacturer achieve the best in performance on every part. Headers need to be selected to match the exhaust ports. Unless you're using stock heads. Then the question might be.."How big will the exhaust ports be on my next set of heads?? Maybe I could get away with reusing them if a plan for future mods"

Come to the street, you might learn something

New Slow GT--> under construction

Latest Addition: 95 Cobra R, #73, bone stock, ~6100 miles.
SlowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 11:59 AM   #19
black86notch
Registered Member

does anyone know where I can get a set of long tube headers jet hot coated (ceramic)? How much am I looking at to get that done?

Thanks,
Tom
'86 notch
black86notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 01:47 PM   #20
WheelsUp
Registered Member

Thumbs down Just the reason

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowGT
No mix and match???

Does that mean that my engine would work better if I didn't have Hooker headers, pacesetter H-pipe & a flowmaster cat back? What about my heads...I've got CompCams springs, locks & retainers attached to my Milodon MegaFlo valves being pushed by my Crane Hi-Intensity roller rockers all one happy family on my World Product heads. Will my timing stay good even though I'm using a Cloyes chain on a Ford adjustable sprocket? Or how about brand-X C-clip eliminators on Moser axles in a Strange spool in a Ford 8.8 housing? Just some curious questions.

Mix and match (IMHO) is the only way to go. Very seldom does one manufacturer achieve the best in performance on every part. Headers need to be selected to match the exhaust ports. Unless you're using stock heads. Then the question might be.."How big will the exhaust ports be on my next set of heads?? Maybe I could get away with reusing them if a plan for future mods"

Come to the street, you might learn something
See it is things like this is the reason why I do not post on these boards,see if you would read my post I said I would not mix and match parts,that is my opinion,but I understand,no problem.
You can do whatever you want to your car and I can do whatever I want to mine,he only ask opinions,it is just like you get guys "at the track" you best belive other than maybe an intake or this part the exhaust is custom from front to back.
Black to answer your question BBK or Brothers sells Long tubes with ceramic coating for 449 1 3/4 tubes,I have a set and I like them.