MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-04-2002, 08:36 PM   #1
lx5091
Registered Member

Default pulleys

Hello all

I searched the posts here and couldn't find anything worth while...

I would like to know all the con's of pulleys, e.i. alternator, water pump, crankshaft and power steering. Also aluminum vs. steel.

I know I've heard it said it's not good if you run stereo equipment because the alternator won't make enough power, but that's sound ridiculous, why wouldn't it? Others have said it so bad they couldn't start there car at times.

Most kits don't provide the power steering pump pulley, why not?

What's the difference between brands, besides quality? Maybe different sizes of each pulley?

Also, how do they affect the belt size, do you need to change it? How much slack will the tensioner make up for?

I understand that slowing down the accesorries, frees up power and that aluminum ones will also relieve some rotating weight, but I want to know why there are bad reviews about using underdrive pulleys.

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!

Last edited by lx5091; 09-04-2002 at 09:04 PM..
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 08:47 PM   #2
VeNuM
Registered Member

While I can't answer every question you have I can answer some of them. I have the ASP underdrive crank and waterpump pulleys. When I installed them, I put in an electric fan. For this reason I didn't install the underdrive alternator pulley and I'm glad I did this. If I sit in traffic long enough my voltmeter drops too much for comfront. But my car does not overheat. If you're dead set on getting an alternator pulley, all you have to do is get a 130+ amp alternator. As for the diff metals, the aluminum ones are lighter so you have less rotating mass, I don't know if they are worth the extra price though.

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:01 PM   #3
lx5091
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, I run an electric fan, but my volts stay steady where they are, but I guess if I slowed down the alt, it would probably cause a problem.

Thanks again, one question solved!

Old 09-04-2002, 11:19 PM   #4
93GTDIN
Registered Member

i had pulleys before and they slowed my 130 amp alternator down enough to drain my battery in a week, no ridiculous stereo equipment. However, I got a brand called hauffman (maybe cauffman, maybe something else similar), but at any rate, they crankshaft pulley was held on by only the harmonic dampner bolt. Pulleys with this design are too small, but it's my understanding that if they use the 4 holes in the harmonic dampner (IE, bigger) they should work and not give you any problems.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:09 AM   #5
Conman
Registered Member

slowing down the accessories can be troublesome but sometimes isn't

some of the cons are:
less power from the alternator, less power
less water flow from the water pump, overheating
these are some problems but you may not have them innn your car.

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 05:18 AM   #6
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I have anSN95 (130 AMP Alt) and I have the ASP underdrives. The only time I have problems with power, is when I have my stereo on (Mach 460), headlights on, and running lights on. Even then if I give a little gas and increase the RPM by a mere 200, I'm fine.

It may be a little trouble, but you're not going to get a better return on the $ when horse power is concerned!! I use ASP pulleys, so far very good quality.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 06:11 AM   #7
lx5091
Registered Member

Thanks guys for your replies, I still don't know if I will break down and buy them, reliablity is worth a whole lot af money to me and I'll pay for reliability cash-wise or horsepower-wise.

Hopefully I can get some replies on some kits that people haven't experienced problems with or little tricks they used to resolve the problems they had.

Thanks again

Old 09-05-2002, 06:35 AM   #8
Mustang_289
Registered Member

We've got the MAC underdrive pullies on our 88GT stang. My son and I got this car in pieces and are building it back up. While it was off the road we tried to take care of a lot of potential problems. We replaced the stock water pump with a high-flow Stewart and BlackMagic electric fan. The stock alt was bad so we put in a PA PERFORMANCE 130A - which BTW works great. I would recommend this mod to all as the stock 65A unit stinks.

We didn't install the alt pulley as it would void the lifetime warranty on alt from PA. No charging problems - we did have an overheating problem but it was caused by the radiator not the underdrive pullies. Put in a Fluidyne and the temp stays right on 180 degrees - measured with autometer temp gauge - not stock gauge.

Bottom line is this - the MAC underdrive pullies are really cheap - we got ours for $59 last Christmas. Install them - see how they work - if you see problems take em off.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 09:34 AM   #9
bigblockcoupe
Registered Member

i have a 130 amp alternator on my '93 and even with an underdrive pulley on the alternator it still make 14 volts at idle on an autometer gauge. i don't use the crank pulley because of my supercharger but i think the vortech one piece crank/blower pulley is underdriven and i have the water pump pulley on and have never had any trouble with any of it.
Rice Haters Club member #68

'93 Cobra 10.20@135

'89 Gt Coupe 12.20@115
bigblockcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 09:56 AM   #10
lx5091
Registered Member

It seems if I get a 130 amp alt, I'll be alright, but then doesn't that make the $60-$100 for pulleys + $300 for a 130 amp alternator not such an incredible power for dollar ratio?

Just an observation....

Old 09-05-2002, 10:07 AM   #11
bigblockcoupe
Registered Member

a 130 amp alternator should only cost a little over $100 at your local parts store

'93 Cobra 10.20@135

'89 Gt Coupe 12.20@115
Old 09-05-2002, 11:25 AM   #12
lx5091
Registered Member

You're right, I couldn't locate one at first from Autozone, there highest rated for a 87-93 was 85amp.

When you search the web for performance alternators they all seem to be over $280.

I went back to Autozone and looked up an alternator for an SN95 and found it for $139, probably cheaper elsewhere.

Old 09-05-2002, 12:52 PM   #13
bigblockcoupe
Registered Member

yeah the '94, '95 it is the 130 amp it wires up a little different but it's a cinch to change.

'93 Cobra 10.20@135

'89 Gt Coupe 12.20@115
Old 09-06-2002, 08:34 AM   #14
Blue GT 5.0
Registered Member

Default Pullies

I'm debating about putting on pullies myself. Here are my observations based on posts that I've read. Each car reacts different with them. About 75% of the time, they will cause charging probelms and maybe overheating. With accesseries on (especially A/C), you will lose power.

I have a set of MAC's on the way to me right now. I have had one previous experience with the 93 Cobra Underdrive Crank Pulley. My car did charge below what it normally charged, mainly with headlights/foglights on at the same time. With A/C on, the car ran ok, but charges dropped drasticlly. At idle, it would basically rev itself up to keep running. I took it off in order to save my alternator and battery.

Solutions....a 130 amp upgrade is the best solution to charging problems. A 180 t-stat will help with overheating problems. Correct me if I'm wrong, but an OVERDRIVE pulley which is even smaller than stock, is available to "supposally" solve charging problems. I'm looking into this myself. If any has experiences with an OVERDRIVE pulley, please post.
Blue GT 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 10:00 AM   #15
bigblockcoupe
Registered Member

basically it boils down to which set of underdrives you get you can get a street set or a race set i would not use the race set on the street it is for cars running higher revs all the time like a drag or roadrace car the street sets are usually pretty liveable on the street i have had several cars with underdrives and have never really had any trouble with any of them they have always charged fine and ran cool

'93 Cobra 10.20@135

'89 Gt Coupe 12.20@115
Old 09-06-2002, 10:30 AM   #16
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

I haven't done anything to the alternator and don't know much about it at all.
I'm taking from what you guys are saying is the the 95 stock alt is 130a. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And if it is, will that mean that I would be safe with a set of the street underdrives? And also, you are saying that there are street underdrives and there are race underdrives. Whenever I have looked at the prices, I never see anything breaking them down to street or race. How do you tell?
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 12:13 PM   #17
Agent_4573
Registered Member

I put a set of bbk underdrive pulleys on my car and have only had one problem with them and it was an isolated case. My car charges about 12 volts at idle, and anywhere from 12-18 volts crusing around town(1500-6000rpm) I put in an electric fan and still don't have a charging problem. (well ok, when the fan didn't turn off the one time, my battery died). I guess every car does react diffent but mine didn't need the 130 amp alt. Granted though, about 1 month before the pulleys the alt went bad and i had to put in a new one so i guess you have to conside the fact that it is a new alt. I would say get em and just switch back later if you have a problem... you can always sell them again. Now i have to go replace my head gasket...
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 01:34 PM   #18
Blue GT 5.0
Registered Member

From reading posts, the best set of pullies for street use are the March Power and Amp set. As far as drag use, I guess the smallest set you can come across.
Blue GT 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 02:33 PM   #19
HotRoddin
cranky old man

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/htm...t/techtip1.asp

Click the link and read the last sentence of the paragraph under "Pulleys" It sums up my feelings about underdrive pulleys. I know a lot of you will disagree with me, but i've just seen to much research saying the rewards are minimal at best .. Thats just my opinion.
By the way I consider Stewarts opinions on cooling systems and its water pumps to be second to none.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 02:53 PM   #20
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HotRoddin
http://www.stewartcomponents.com/htm...t/techtip1.asp

Click the link and read the last sentence of the paragraph under "Pulleys" It sums up my feelings about underdrive pulleys. I know a lot of you will disagree with me, but i've just seen to much research saying the rewards are minimal at best .. Thats just my opinion.
By the way I consider Stewarts opinions on cooling systems and its water pumps to be second to none.
I could see with a small alternator and a very efficient water pump, some of what is said makes sence.

However, I have never had any cooling issues (car doesn't run a degree warmer) and no charging issues while driving. I'd also have to say that the "feel" of the power gained is second only to my 3.73's.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote