MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-18-2003, 03:47 PM   #1
Rosco
Registered Member

Default Eliminating A/C

I was wondering if anyone has bought an A/C Eliminator kit from jegs or anything. I know that the kit moves the power steering pump to where the A/C used to be. But i was taking a look today at my car, a '91 GT, and i was wondering if the bracket that holds the A/C and the power steering pump can stay there with the power steering pump, by just removing the A/C?

Rosco
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 05:15 PM   #2
Chris_H
Registered Member

I just bought the FMS kit off a guy and have yet to install it. My understanding is that you have to move the power steering pump up. I haven't installed it yet though. Its been way too hot here to do it. I know, way to hot to work outside, and I am installing an A/C delet kit I hear it shouldn't take but 30 minutes to install. I know how my 30 minute installs go!

Chris
Old 05-18-2003, 06:04 PM   #3
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Get the FMS one. That march kit is an absolute joke.

Yes, the FMS one moves your PS pump up to where the AC compressor is now. This is the way the non-AC cars came from the factory.

The kit doesnt come with instructions and will take a couple minutes to figure out the positioning of it. But if you can't figure it out (some people just get brain farts when they look at it) then shoot me a PM and I'll take a picture of my setup for ya.

good luck with it,
Drew
Old 05-19-2003, 12:17 AM   #4
Rosco
Registered Member

FMS kit? Where can i find that? I'm actually not really sure what that is. Oh yeah, and i was looking at the serpentine belt diagram on the car, it shows the whole belt on there with the a/c and also shows it without the belt on the a/c. It actually shows that there is some clearence. I'm not sure if that's how it really is...but i might just find out.
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 05-19-2003, 06:45 AM   #5
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I'm assuming the FMS is the FORD MOTOR SPORT. You can get them from SUMMIT. Looks like FMS PART NO: FMS-M-8511-A50

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...1-A50&x=17&y=6

Check that... I never used one. There's no way in HELL I'd get rid of the AC but my last car was a 72 Cutlass with No AC and Black Vinyl Interior, It was NASTY hot in there, so I'm enjoying the AC now.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:13 PM   #6
Rosco
Registered Member

Well, i just talked to my friend. Ends up he's working in at a ford dealership upstate from me. He was asking around and some other mechanics said i would have no problem at all just removing the a/c compressor itself and everything else. They said a shorter belt would fit fine leaving the power steering pump where it is. But i think i might as well go ahead and order that part anyways. Looks like it would free up some space where the P/S pump was bolted before.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:44 PM   #7
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I think if you just leave the p/s where it is and take out the ac, the tensioner would cause the belt to rub on itself at the top of the water pump pully. Is there any way to get the belt tight without using the tensioner? I was thinking about taking out my compressor while installing my cam, but I dont have the money for the ac eliminator kit.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote