MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-23-2003, 12:03 PM   #1
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default cam installation

Ok folks, I'm planning on installing my b cam this weekend. I just want to make sure I have everything I need. I know I have to get valve cover gaskets, upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, assembly lube, water pump gasket, timing cover gasket, more antifreeze, a torque wrench. I have tools and a teloscoping magnet for the lifters. Thats all I can think of. Do I need anything else?

Also, I read somewhere that the lifters have to go back in the same place in the same orientation as they came out. I can see putting them in the same place, but why is it important to put them in the same orientation as well? Also, what kind of gasket sealer do you suggest? I have always used iether the blue or copper. Will these suffice?

Thats all the questions I have for now. I'm sure there'll be more this weekend. Thanks in advance for everyones input. I know I'm gonna need it.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 02:08 PM   #2
chris91LX
Registered Member

I didn't put my lifters back in in any sort of order or orientation, other than to make sure the rollers were in the right way. I would keep the lifters in a little cup covered in oil while your doing the swap, but if your doing the whole swap in a day or two it shouldn't be a worry. I used the black high temp rtv on the corners of the lower intake. There's a group of guys that go to my clubs board, www.midwestfords.org, their the Swill Racing guys who run Renegade in the NMRA, and they have a set of magnets that allow you to swap a cam without pulling the intake if your interested in that. Proly too late for that, but FYI. Your going to probably want to change the oil before you fire it up if you get any coolant in the lifter valley when you pull the intake. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, sounds like you should be fine though, good luck.
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 02:27 PM   #3
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I'm about due for an oil change anyways, so that was already in the plan. I thought about the cam tool, but couldnt find them. I have plans on cleaning my lower intake or replacing it anyways, so I have to pull the lower regardless. Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll need much more help later on during the swap.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote