MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-24-2003, 06:00 AM   #1
marton
Registered Member

Question Chimes and also convertible stuff

Hi,

Something went wrong with the warning system on my Mustang convertible tonight.
Normally it chimes a bell when you forget to put your seat belt on or leave the keys in the car or or or. ...

So I started to drive home around midnight and it started chiming. also the interior lights were on. I tried the instrument light switch, opening and closing the doors and hood but could not fix it. I noticed that when I braked then the chimes stopped - I believe that there is a gravity operated courtesy switch in the hood - maybe this is the problem?
It was so loud with the top down that I
had to pull the fuse (number 8) - the same fuse drives the instrument lights and it is quite worrying driving here in switzerland which has wall to wall speed cameras without knowing your speed.
Anybody have any ideas. I looked in my Chilton but there is nothing about this switch, or the chimes...

Also if it is the switch does anybody know if Ford USA do mail order? It is a real pain trying to buy small ford parts like that here, nobody keeps them in stock. i guess people like California Mustang don't do such parts?

On another topic I left my car parked with the top down last week. there are some little animals here called pine Martens which are rubber freaks. One of them chewed up the rubber strip that seals the top onto the top of the windshield when the top is closed. I see people like California Mustang but there is no clue in my Chilton about how easy or hard to change it. Anybody done this?

Marton
white top & leather, Opal wheels
marton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 09:50 AM   #2
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

the rubber piece should be a simple swap out, it's basicaly weather strip, some yellow snots and a scraper should be all you need... as for teh chime, I dont know what your problem is, but I'm sure that if you figure it out and the part is Available at a local ford dealer, I (or anyone here) could pick it up for you and mail it over. Let us know what you come up with
-as
Old 05-25-2003, 07:23 AM   #3
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Header Weatherstrip

the header weatherstrip attaches to the front of the convertible top and extends halfway on each side of the top frame to the first top hinge.

85-93 sells for $79.95 lrs-53986d from http://www.50resto.com

adhesive and screws hold it in place.

just ordered one myself.

I also replaced my latches recently with new ones from 50resto and what a difference!

Good Luck.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 08:58 AM   #4
marton
Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your help. Thanks for the tips about the weather strip fixing and pricing.

The chiming problem is solved. stupid reason..

The courtesy light switch on the drivers door pillar was not switching off properly. At sometime somebody has stuck a strip of hard rubber to the drivers door to push the switch further closed. This strip of rubber had fallen off so the door did not switch off the light and chime anymore.
just stuck the rubber back on and the switch works. Whe I have more time I will look to see if I can put a washer or something on the switch so it is closer to the door.

Nice day

Marton
white top & leather, Opal wheels
marton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 11:21 AM   #5
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default picture?

Marton,

I went skiing in Austria and Andorra in 1992 and love it over there.
Do you have any pictures of your car? I am curious what "vibrant red" looks like.

Cheers,
John
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote