MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-25-2003, 12:07 AM   #1
Rodoggx
Registered Member

Default t5 question

Hey all,
I am almost finished with my aod to t5 swap. Should be done by the end of this weekend. Question: i'm looking at my backup light harness for the t5 and looking at the existing aof nuetral safety switch harness .... and scratching my head.

what do i do? Do I need to cut into the wires and put them together myself? a bit confused.
Thanks
Old 05-26-2003, 12:02 AM   #2
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

If you have a clutch switch hooked up you have to figure out how to hook up the neutral safety switch to the clutch switch. I don't remember if the switches are the correct type (Don't remember if the tranny switch is open or closed when in neutral or park and if the clutch switch is open or closed when clutch is pressed in) But basically a way around it is to hook up the neutral safety switch to the neutral switch on the T5 (that's what I did, but your T5 might not have a neutral switch, I'm not sure) The reverse lights I just bought some crimp on terminal connectors, the kind that can be screwed on to a bolt or screw, and bolted them to the connector on the T5 which was two threaded terminals. Anyway, there is a connector you can buy from Ford. it is made to hook straight up to your reverse light connector on your car and your T5. I can't find where I saw it before online, but I'm pretty sure it's a ford part. Good luck.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 01:02 AM   #3
Mountain Main
Registered Member

Default your all most done

You are all most done but this is a very curcial part of the swap. If you hook up to much power to the Neutral Drive Switch it will fry the computer and the Map. You can keep the Automatic Transmission Computer in your car but their is some wiring changes. It has to do with pin number 30 of the computer harness. If I remember right the NDS is uses a 5 volt reference. Don't use 12 volts it will fry the computer.
Mountain Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:06 AM   #4
PKRWUD

Default Re: your all most done

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Main
You are all most done but this is a very curcial part of the swap. If you hook up to much power to the Neutral Drive Switch it will fry the computer and the Map. You can keep the Automatic Transmission Computer in your car but their is some wiring changes. It has to do with pin number 30 of the computer harness. If I remember right the NDS is uses a 5 volt reference. Don't use 12 volts it will fry the computer.
You're close. If you retain the auto ECM, then it doesn't matter, but if you install the ECM from a manual transmission Mustang, so you don't have any lag in the timing during your shifts, you need to clip the wire that goes to ECM pin 30. The auto safety switch works by sending voltage through that circuit, and the manual does not, therefor applying voltage to that pin in a manual ECM will give it voltage when and where it really doesn't want it. A fried ECM will be the result.

If you still have the original ECM, then don't worry about it.

As far as the neutral safety switch, take the red/light blue wire and the white/pink wire from that four wire harness that went to the old tranny, and splice them together. Take the other two wires (should be black/pink, and pink/orange (or pink/yellow, I can't remember)), and attach them to the reverse light switch in your replacement tranny. You can do it the way that was already mentioned, or you can go to a junk yard, and clip the two wire connector from a Mustang there, and splice those two wires in to it, and then plug it into the new tranny.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:13 PM   #5
Rodoggx
Registered Member

Talking well well well

Well, Thanks to you guys... I have a sweet T-5 equiped 5.0!!!
I'm going to fill her up with gas and test drive it tomorrow.
So far, it runs fine and the backup lights work sweet. Gonna test the speedo tomorrow.
You guys rock!
Thanks
Roland