MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-21-2005, 11:36 PM   #1
ed1371
Registered Member

Default retard#2

I am so retarded, I did the one thing that even the most untechnical can figure out...I replaced my battery today, I plopped into the battery box just like the old one and stuck the terminals on....

I usually see a little spark but there was more than usual...I then heard a pop up in the engine bay (my battery is in the trunk and saw a little puff o smoke...I was like WTF? then I looked at the polarity...OMFG...I put it on ()*#&KLJNFE backwards!! I then beat the hell out of myself and tried to figure out what I killed...

Seems that I am getting power every where but no spark from the coil. I have an MSD 6al and timing adjuster ...The burn smell seems to come the most from the igniotion relay but she still turn over...

Any idea where to start? I did not put the 6 al in (was on the car when I got it ) but do ya think I killed it?

I am so dumb... I have done so much to the damn thing...and to do this? embarrassing...lol
Old 02-22-2005, 04:40 AM   #2
procharge94
Registered Member

Default Re: retard#2

Welcome to the club of dumb moves. I had something similar happen to me; the POS battery that was in the car when I purchased it was incorrectly marked. Well, needless to say, I had to find that out the hard way when I was putting my car back together after some motor mods.

Exactly what happens when you turn the key over? Does the motor turn over? If so, pull your wire running from the coil and stick a spark plug in it. Have someone turn over the car and look for a spark. Let me know what happens there. Also, do you hear your fuel pump prime and your injectors click open when you first turn the key over?
procharge94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:22 AM   #3
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

I'm bettin' ya killed your computer and/or the MSD box. Had a pickup truck at my shop that did the same thing. Had to change the fuel pump relay, the computer itself, and the TFI module to get it running.

Look around here for Jeff, he can tell you what terminals do what on your computer. He might be able to point you in the right direction on testing it.

Good Luck!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
USMC302
Registered Member

Yeap seen it before too, replace the ECU, good luck.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:16 AM   #5
ed1371
Registered Member

I will check it out this weekend... it still turns over but no spark. The fuel pump still primes too.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
procharge94
Registered Member

If your fuel pump still primes, try replacing the TFI module. If the car is a fox, this module is on the distributor. Try borrowing someone's distributor first in order to keep the overall cost of replacing needless parts down. If this does NOT fix the problem, your ECU is probably fried. You can pick up an A9L on ebay for less than $100.
procharge94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:40 AM   #7
ed1371
Registered Member

turns out, I fried my MSD ignition...$209 and an install later, she is back up and running!
Looks like I am going to restrore a bit or the old girl...Seems that I just cant bring myself to sell it..lol