MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-28-2002, 03:41 AM   #1
LetsGo
Registered Member

Default would like to know

i was checking the battery terminal to see if they were tight before taking the car for a drive. the neg cable was loose and came right off. after that the car shut off. i could not get it to turn back on. it just turn over but would not run. could this short out the MSD ignition. i am not getting any power from the module. if not please point me in the right direction.
LetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 03:58 AM   #2
PKRWUD

That shouldn't short out the MSD box.

Use a battery terminal brush, or some emory cloth, and completely clean the neg post and the inside of the cable clamp, and then make sure the pigtail ground wire that also goes to the neg post is still connected cleanly to the body. Tighten the post clamp, and try to start it. If it still won't start, check for voltage at the large black wire and the large red wire coming from the MSD box. If it doesn't have battery voltage, you need to trace those wires to the battery and see where the open is. If they do have battery voltage, turn the key ON, and check for voltage at the small red wire going to the MSD box. If it has voltage, try and start the engine, and continue to make sure it still has voltage. If at either time it doesn't, trace the small red wire to the factory coil connector wires, and make sure the connection is still good. Continue to back track the wire until you find the open.

Do that, and post your results.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 03:25 PM   #3
LetsGo
Registered Member

i did the checks and stilll did not get any type of reading. the next thing i did was to see if there was a spark by doing the i think it ids call a fire check. in which i disconnected the coil wire from the distrib and used a jumper wire to see if i would get a charge from the coil. i did not after that i called summit and explained it to them and the tech said that, that would mean it is the ignition box. i am mailing the box back to MSD that means my ride will be down for awhile. no more fun for awhile. til later
LetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote