MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-08-2001, 01:12 PM   #1
withamc
Registered Member

Post Isolating engine noises

Can someone tell me how to tell the difference between the difference between lifter knocking, rod knockong, wrist pin knocking, etc?
Also, I'll be changing my cam out in the next week or so. Should I be soaking the lifters in oil while I've got them out? How do I tell if I've got a bad lifter? Is there any harm in swapping two from my noisy #4 cylinder to another to see if the noise follows?

------------------
86 GT, GT40P heads, Cobra cam, 1.7 RR's, Cobra intake, 65mm TB, 73mm Vortech, 24# injectors, MAC GT40P headers, 2-1/2" BBK H-pipe (w/cats), Flowmasters, 3.55s.
Crane 2031 on order
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 01:26 PM   #2
Green92LX
Registered Member

Moving the lifters around kind of seems like extra work to me...you should buy new lifters with a new cam anyway

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 205K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps, cut and welded stock shifter...and it runs like a champ.
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 01:43 PM   #3
withamc
Registered Member

The lifters only have about 14,000 miles on them. Still think I should change them?
Any insight on the other questions?
Old 02-08-2001, 03:53 PM   #4
Green92LX
Registered Member

If you have a feeling that two lifters are bad, it would just be plain stupid to put it all back together just to see if the noise moves....just get new ones. Also, when you take them out just jiggle them around and see if there is any play on the bottoms. A lifter tick sounds just like a loose rocker (tick tick tick) if it was the bottom end you would know it, and I doubt that baby is letting go, they are practically bulletproof...

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 205K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps, cut and welded stock shifter...and it runs like a champ.
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 05:18 PM   #5
StreetRacin89Stang
Registered Member

How common is a lifter wearing out as opposed to a rocker being loose. I have a similar noise in my valve train and am planing some surgery for this weekend.

Perhaps a cracked valve spring. Im hoping for a loose rocker because of the ease of repair. Would it be worth my time to change to a set of new rockers while im in?? 1.6 or 1.7?

The noise has gotten constantly worse over time and it is just a constant ticking not very loud but it has become noticeable from outside the car. Lemme know what you think.

------------------
89 5.0 GT White w/Blue Racing Stripes
K&N, 73mm Mass Air, Ported and Polished Stock Heads, E303 Cam, MAC equal Length Headers, Off Road H-Pipe, Borla Mufflers, Sway Bars, Strut Tower, Subframe Connectors, Eibach, Koni Adjustables, Pony 5 Stars, 1000 Watt JL Audio System
StreetRacin89Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 11:19 AM   #6
withamc
Registered Member

I had our UPS driver listen to my engine when he came by yesterday afternoon. He said my valve train noise isn't out of the ordinary and his is louder than mine. Apparently the lift on the 1.7 results in increased noise, along with the fact that I've removed the insulation from my hood. We'll see what happens when the new cam goes in.
Old 02-12-2001, 03:14 AM   #7
Patrick Boetticher
Registered Member

Witch cam did you go with (specs?) i re used my old lifters with 92,000 on them (i should have repalces them but $$$) my trusty carquest guy said it was ok to reuse, and he also said to pour oil on the cam then put it in and then right before you put on the upper dump some oil down there throuh the lifter valley...

Good luck!!!

------------------
PPG Torch Red 95GT, Ported Explorer Intake, E-303 cam, 75mm TB,BBK adj. fuel Reg, BBK Headers,H-pipe, pulleys, flowmasters, Kenny Brown 6 point cage, panhard Bar, powerslot rotors, Eibach Springs, MSD 6AL, Master Blaster, AFS 10.5" Cobra R's, Nitto 555s ect.

[This message has been edited by Patrick Boetticher (edited 02-12-2001).]
Patrick Boetticher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 11:49 AM   #8
withamc
Registered Member

Well, this weekend I pulled the whole exhaust apart, put new header gaskets on, put on a new H-pipe, replaced a bad O2 sensor. No more leaks! There's still a tick that's clearly coming from the exhaust, almost sounds like it coincides with a clack from the valve train. It runs great though. Went for a ride Saturday night - another 5.0 convertible came up behind me flashing it's lights, revving. At the next light I took off, either he wasn't trying or I'm running better than I thought.
PATRICK - Crane 2031 is on order from PAW. Hopefully it's in this weekend.