MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-20-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
Mustanger
Dot Racing

Default I NEED HELP!! Traction Gone over nite...SSM

Ok, to start let me explain the problem. I was running 10.90s at 123mph. with a 26 x 10 MT Drags. I was using the eibach drag launch kit which I still have on the car with right side air bag. My 60' was in the 1.58 to 1.60 range. After my tires wore out, I purchased a new set of 26 x 10 ET street tires which all of sudden made my car look like I have doughnuts. I thought it would be the same size. Well since then I never hooked again. My 60' is in the 1.8 range now. I'm running a vortech 12psi comming out at 4 to 5 grand. A friend of mine convinced me to put SSM lift bars that it would help and it did imporve my 60' to a 1.71 but the car is almost on the ground since i put the southsides. I tried putting a bigger tire, but everything rubs cause the car sits so low in the back. I inflated the airbag, but it takes 40 punds of air to lift the car even and that would defeat the purpose of my drag springs and 50/50 shocks. I don't know what went worng or how to bring the car back up or was the tires size change my initial problem? I just need someone to help me bring my car back up to fit bigger tires. I wanted to fit a 28 x 10 drag slick. Any help will be greatly appreciated, I'm just done breaking my head. Thanks everyone for even reading my sob story..
Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
andy669
Registered Member

Default Re: I NEED HELP!! Traction Gone over nite...SSM

I made spacers that fit between the springs and the spring perch on the body to adjust my ride height. After 12-15 passes on my 26x10 MT ET Drags the sidewalls would go away and they would not hook. You didnt mention whether you were running an auto, or stick. The lift bars hit the tires a little harder which works good for autos. I always liked the straight bars, myself.

What does your car weigh? 10.90's at 123 is pretty good.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
Mustanger
Dot Racing

The car weights 2908 without me 3150 with me. I'm running a tremec 5 speed. I had straight bars at first, but went to ssm thinking it would be better. I also didn't realize that the street tires have a smaller tread with than slicks even if the're the same size. How do I make these spacers? Supposing the spacers work, what tire can i fit under there. I would like to go a bit bigger than 26 x 10 because my shift light is turning on about 100 feet before the finish line. Any advice will be appreciated. I have read a lot of your replies in other post and I respect your knowledge.
Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:46 AM   #4
andy669
Registered Member

I made the spacers out of a sheet of 3/8" plastic. I took a hole saw and drilled out the I.D. then cut the O.D with a bandsaw. I made 1 for the lower perch and 2 for the upper. The only time I needed them was when I had all the ballast in the car. With no ballast the rear sat where I wanted it with the stock V-8 springs. If the money is in the budget, I'd recommend coil overs in the rear. Ride height adjustments are pretty simple with them. There also may come a time where you want to ditch the air bag and install an anti-roll bar.

You should be able to fit a 28x10 under there, but you might need to do a few things. 1) Get a wheel with the proper backspace. 2) Massage the inner wheelwells with a big hammer. 3) Trim the lip off of the outer wheelwell opening.

I wouldnt worry about the shift light at the end of the track. A general rule of thumb is to run through the lights about 10% above peak power. My engine peaked at 7200, I shifted at 7600, and I went through the lights about 8000.

Hope this helps.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote