MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-29-2001, 11:28 AM   #1
JohnnyG
Registered Member

Red face Please Help, I'm Lost!

The Problem: Front tires rubbing the rear of the wheel wells (where the mud flaps are mounted)

How it is induced: By hard braking, especially when the steering wheel is turned to the left

Background: I got into a car accident where I squarely ran into a tall 8 inch curb. The force of the impact dented the lip of my front rims and tore-up the front end nicely. I have since replaced all necessary parts (i think)... this includes the bumper cover, the fog light mounting brackets, a stabilizer bar, and I even replaced the shocks and struts for the hell of it. Nevertheless the damn tires still rub. Do you think the front control arms may be bent? I took the car to Town Fair Tire and asked them to align the car and check for any parts that might need to be replaced. They told me the arms were still good. Could a simple bushing change in the front control arms do the trick? This is really bugging the hell out of me, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-John
JohnnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 12:01 PM   #2
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

From your description, I would say that the front A-arms are bent. Try looking where the A-arm meets the frame. If the tires are rubbing, something has to be bent - assuming your tires are standard size (no bigger than 245s).

You may want to take it to another shop for another opinion.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe -37,800 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'

Pro-Charger D-1SC on the way!!!
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 12:47 PM   #3
Green92LX
Registered Member

Definitely sounds like bent control arms. Don't ever trust what the Mickey Mouse mechanics at Town Fair tell you either.

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 205K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps, cut and welded stock shifter...and it runs like a champ.
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 06:51 PM   #4
LOCASH
Registered Member

WOW! If your control arms are bent bad enough to cause tire rub I would think it would be easy to spot. Have you looked at it yourself? I am no pro but I would try putting it on some floor jacks and/or comparing it to a friends car. That would drive me up a wall. How much is the car lowered? can you see underneath without putting it up? I have one new control arm in the garage and I could e-mail you a picture of it as well as one on my car if it would help. Good luck.

------------------
86 GT T-tops, AOD, B&M shift kit and hammer shifter, ROH wheels, K&N, Timing,MAC headers, 2.5 off road H, 2.5 American Thunder, 87 spindles, rear disc,SS lines, BBK 1.5, poly bushings, Steeda G-trac and subs, Strut bar.
"DRIVE LIKE YOU STOLE IT!"
LOCASH is offline   Reply With Quote