MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-28-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default Motorsport C Springs

I am thinking of buying a set of C springs for the 90 gt. My question is, because it will be lower, will stock replacement shocks and struts work, or would I have to buy aftermarket ones designed to work with the lower suspension? I am looking to save a little bit of money, and since it is not a daily driver, if it is a slightly rough ride, I wont be upset.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default Re: Motorsport C Springs

pretty sure the stock shocks/struts will still work, how bout some cheap KYB's? tokico blue's can be had for under $250/set
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

stock struts shocks will work. You might need camber/caster plates if it lowers too much. Remember the stiffer the spring, the less weight transfer= less traction to the rear. That is why i went with the B springs.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
aar0s
Registered Member

i just put steeda sports on mine with kyb struts and love them.
aar0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:52 PM   #5
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK85GT
stock struts shocks will work. You might need camber/caster plates if it lowers too much. Remember the stiffer the spring, the less weight transfer= less traction to the rear. That is why i went with the B springs.
I'm not too worried about weight transfer as I am trying to get away from drag racing with it and possibly go the other direction. I for the most part, as of right now, what it lowered for looks. Handling is second on my list, as the car wont be driven very often.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:34 AM   #6
chatcher
Registered Member

your car will handle the road course better lowered and if you consider cc plates some like steeda's have provisions to raise the top of the strut to help correct the loss of travel my kyb adj came with paperwork stating i could go down 1.5 inches without damaging the units so i'd imagine youll be alright tokico and eibach both have shocks/struts designed for lowered mustangs you could always try a set of those later on if you werent happy with the ride
Old 01-31-2005, 01:06 PM   #7
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Does anyone know if there are any other springs within the same price range (about $140/set) that would perform at least as well as them?
Old 01-31-2005, 03:48 PM   #8
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

i think $140 is as low as u can go. anything under $140 is usually no name crap you dont want anyway. steeda, eibach, etc, are all $200+. i would not recommend anything cheaper than the ford springs, i ahve heard nothing but bad things from them
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
tommythrasher32
Registered Member

i got a set of ford motorsport c springs and a set of maxuim motorsports caster/camber plates ill sell for 225$ for both still in the box they came with the car when i bought them and have no need for them private message me id your interested

bbk fendermount intake underdrive pulleys aluminum clutch quadrant and fire wall adjuster ford heavy duty clutch
steeda triax shifter sold

now 1992 gt o/r h pipe and dynomax cat back
tommythrasher32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:54 AM   #10
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommythrasher32
i got a set of ford motorsport c springs and a set of maxuim motorsports caster/camber plates ill sell for 225$ for both still in the box they came with the car when i bought them and have no need for them private message me id your interested
I sent you a pm man. I am very interested in them!!
Old 02-04-2005, 07:17 PM   #11
aar0s
Registered Member

one of the mustang catalogs had a set of "In house" eibach springs for 160 that were 650 fronts and2-300 in the back
aar0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #12
DZEE'S LX
Registered Member

I like my c springs but I was looking for handling. It corners really flat and I don't regret that part at all.
Be ready for a much stiffer ride. Any specific rate spring you use will be much different than a stock setup.
You should be ok with your stock struts since your total travel will be less and more of it will be at the lower limits.
My car dropped at least 1 1/2 inches in the front. You will need c/c plates for sure.
The back was too high, I think because I have a notch and they weigh less in the rear. I had to cut a couple coils off to get it down where I want it, but the instructions tell you to do this if needed.

I think c-springs are great for the money.
Spec Service (UHP), BFG G-Force KDW's, Turbo Coupe 3.55 rear w/disks, 73mm calipers, Stg 1 Twisted Wedges, TFS Street Intake, 70mm TB, E cam, Crane 1.7's, Aeromotive FPR, BBK 1 5/8 shorties, elec fan, FMS Al Radiator, Moroso Wires, Kenne Bell Ramair, March pulleys, Race Magnums, 190 lph Walbro, FMS Al Dshaft, D/S loop, MM 4point rollbar, FMS C spngs, strut tower brace, Tokico Illuminas, Prothane bushings, MM Lwr Conrol Arms, KB welded subs, Cervini Mach 1 hood/valence/side skirts/wing/airdam.
DZEE'S LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #13
procharge94
Registered Member

Keep the stock shocks, or save up and buy some decent ones. Do not buy something half-ass right now just to regret it down the road.

The cheap KYB's and Koni's are barely better than stock. You really get what you pay for with shocks.
procharge94 is offline   Reply With Quote