MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-08-2003, 08:01 PM   #1
indytrucks
Registered Member

Question engine swap

i was wondering what all i would need to swap a speed density 5.0 h.o. into an 83 mustang. basicaly how hard would it be to go from a carb to e.f.i. ? i have an 88 lincoln mark vii and i found an 83 convertable stang for next to nothing in great shape with no engine and trans. they were both automatics so that wont be that bad and they were both v-8's so thats good suspension wise.

now what could i use off the mark as far as rear end swap\ 5lug conversion?
indytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:13 PM   #2
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

I believe you'll need the wiring harness from the EFI. I think the Mark VII rear end is a little wider but will fit. I don't think I'd use it though...

I'm sure someone here has messed around with that type of conversion and can give you more help. Good luck..
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 04:50 PM   #3
indytrucks
Registered Member

hmm.. any others know any thing? i was thinking too about the rear end being for an air suspension car, so it would be a big hassle any ways. the conversion is the big question.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:44 PM   #4
fastas69
Registered Member

I have a 84 convertable, I swaped everything from a wrecked 87 gt, It took me about a week to get it in and running. It was actually a easy conversion. Well worth it I thought. As far as that rear end goes, I wouldnt use it..........Just my .02!
Old 09-14-2003, 07:36 PM   #5
indytrucks
Registered Member

acttualy im using the speed density engine out of an 88 mark vii lsc. so, what all do i need of the wiring harness?

is there anything else i need?
Old 09-14-2003, 07:48 PM   #6
desertrag
Registered Member

Default 5 lug conversion

You can use the front rotors and hardware from the lincoln to do the front.....for the back, use 2 right side axles from a Ranger pickup with the 7.5" axle, along with the drums and backing plates from same.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:02 AM   #7
desertrag
Registered Member

Default 5 lug conversion

FYI, just ran across something you might like......Ebay item #
2432199268...check it out,good luck.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:45 AM   #8
gtnby2
Registered Member

This guy wants to know about what he needs to do the engine swap.....NOT the rear end. Take the harness out of the Linc and just go through and plug in what is obvious. I've never done this before but with a little attetion to detail it should go smooth.
Good luck
gtnby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 02:41 PM   #9
desertrag
Registered Member

Well, I must have read his original post wrong. I thought the the last line asked about converting to 5 lug.........sorry.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:26 PM   #10
indytrucks
Registered Member

i did ask about the five lug but im more concerned about the engine swap. so would it be a good idea to get a diferent computer or use the stock linc. comp?

also doesnt the harness control the lights and basicaly evey thing up front? im new to the mustang/ ford thing so bare with me. im a jeep guy at heart.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:04 PM   #11
desertrag
Registered Member

Thank you..................I posted basically the same question as you.I have learned that : putting in the engine is easy,if the mustang had aod then the trans will fit too. If not then if you want aod, a small amount of fabricating is required to the crossmember as there is a 2" diff in length of the trans.....which means a change in drive shaft length also. As far as the wiring, I'm just going to open the harneses and trace and use as needed,using the original sensors and computer. u just have to find a place to mount it. The exahust is no problem. The sending unit/ fuel pump assy from the lincoln should fit the tank and then use lines as needed. seem resonable?
Old 09-19-2003, 05:33 PM   #12
indytrucks
Registered Member

so what about the gas tank? isnt there a fuel return on the efi motor?

im looking for some wiring diagrams i guess so i know exactly what wires im looking for. sorry to be such a p.i.t.a. but i want to eleviate alot of the headaches before i get started on the swap.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:37 PM   #13
fastas69
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by indytrucks
So what about the gas tank? Isnt there a fuel return on the efi motor?
You will need a gas tank out of a 87-93 mustang.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:15 AM   #14
drtbiker
Registered Member

as far as the wiring harness it isnt to hard i know a few people infact i have a complete wiring harness out of a mass air, mustang it is a little chewed up but has all the connections. I'll sell it to you for like 40 bucks or somthing if you want it. It is not that bad or atleast i dont think pick up like a chiltons or somthing that tells u all of the wires and what they do and work from there. As far as the rear end i would just go and buy a mustang rear end i think that would save you some time. Yeah with the gas tank your going to need a return as well. Someone who may have the wiring diagrams is Pkrwud maybe wrong spelling but shoot him a pm and he would gladly help. When it comes to when i have wiring problems i go to him, he is really helpful and nice to work with. Just out of couriousity what are the plans with the stang. You going to cruize with it or race it?

lata

i hope i answered a couple of ur questions
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 12:06 PM   #15
indytrucks
Registered Member

i plan on making it a cruiser but i will definatly take it to the track.

doesnt frpp sell a harness? i found one from painless but it is like 600 bucks! i could make one for less, hehe. there is another place too but i cant remeber the name, its like windsor-fox i think. anyone know about them? or possibly how much theres are? i stumbled upon them yesterday and they arent open till monday so...

also i wont have a problem because its a speed density set-up will i?
Old 09-21-2003, 10:44 AM   #16
drtbiker
Registered Member

speed density is not a problem but if i was in ur place i would take it one step further and just take it to mass air if u really wanted... yeah those harnesses are up there in $$

lata
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:24 AM   #17
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

I have to agree with going to mass air, you would be saving yourself more headaches down the line when you have to convert again for more performance.
If you already have the motor I would just start shopping around for a mass air car thats been totaled and take the harness, brain and manifold from it.

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote