MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-24-2005, 11:46 PM   #1
stock94ponygt
Registered Member

Red face girl in need of mod advice

Hey I have a 94 stang gt, 5.0 L and I was wondering what kind of spark plugs give the best power. I already have a K&N air filter and am planning to put a new flowmaster catback exhaust system on it. Any advice on modifications I can do to my baby to make it faster than a camaro It's greatly appreciated.

.:*CiNDeReLLa*:.
stock94ponygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:23 AM   #2
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Default Re: girl in need of mod advice

dont even worry about spark plugs. All you need are the cheap copper ones, especially on a stock engine. Your best bet for mods would be cat back, h or x pipe, set of headers and GEARS. Gears should be up there on your priority though they are fairly expensive with installation. If its a stick I would get a short throw shifter too.
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:09 AM   #3
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

gears, exhaust ...he is right with the plugs all you need are some .99 cent autolites
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:28 AM   #4
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

Yeah I,d say gears are going to give you the biggest difference. The first stang I drove was a stocker with 2.73 gearing, and it felt like it dropped off in 5th gear. When I bought my 84, it had 3.73's, and to say the least, it will get up and go a lot quicker and pull harder, but your going to loose some fuel mileage, probably better off with 3.55's. Like the others said, look into a good intake and exhaust,some underdrive pulleys, maybe some nice roller rockers for the valve train, to pull out some hidden ponies. Another thing that might work would be one of those power programmers. I have never used one myself, but I watch horsepower tv and trucks on spike tv all the time, and you would be amazed at how much hp and torque you can pull out of an efi motor just by changing the ignition and fuel mapping, all you have to do is plug it into your cars computer and answer a couple of yes/no questions and that's it. As for beating camaros, it depends on how fast you wanna spend. For example, you could look into better flowing heads, ($1200 pr), new cam ($250), or maybe even a blower (supercharger $2500).I think the most important thing to look into though is the suspension/handling. Again this can get quite expensive, but a 200 hp car can beat an 800 hp car if it is set up right. You'll probably just want to stick with some easy less expensive mods for now, and I'm sure you'll be happy with the difference.
5.0 Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #5
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

autolite spark plugs!

gears- 3.73 manual or 4.10 automatic
off road x or h pipe and 2.5" cat back exhaust
underdrive pullies (march 1000, good and cheap)
short throw shifter
subframe connectors
more cash
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #6
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

I Second Ghettopop, the motorcraft/autolites are fine. gears will get you the best bang for the buck. But dont forget the freebies: timing, airbox silencer, etc.
As far as upgrading, do it in stages. All motor may go fast, but theres more to it. Do some of the engine mods, but then look at suspension/drivetrain. Subframes first, then maybe a control arm setup.
More engine mods, then maybe an underhood brace and brakes, etc. You want the car to be designed as a total package.
To quote 5.0:
"Again this can get quite expensive, but a 200 hp car can beat an 800 hp car if it is set up right. "
All the power in the world doesent help if you cant get it to the ground.

Just my .02

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Gears, gears, gears, gears!! 4.10's

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:01 AM   #8
82 GT
Import Slayer

I bet your name is Trish!!
Don't freak out..I saw this same post on mustangforums.com...LOL
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote