MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-26-2002, 07:41 PM   #1
BOW TIE SMASHER
Registered Member

Default MAF tested with volt/ohm meter HELP!

I tested my MAF sensor with a volt/ohm meter according to a test procedure I was given and now I have the numbers and am not really sure what they mean if anyone can decipher these please let me know, I done the test because when I did a code scan I got 66 prob with MAF sensor voltage and 98 computer in failure mode effects management supposidly 98 is a result of the 66 code man this is getting tedious any help is greatly appreciated
BOW TIE SMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 10:27 PM   #2
Mach 1
Registered Member

well, what are the numbers and the conditions that you took the readings under?
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 12:19 PM   #3
BOW TIE SMASHER
Registered Member

O.k here are the conditions and numbers. First I ran the car for 3-4 minutes then shut it off, I un-plugged the MAF sensor, then plugged the VOM up and with the key in the on position I probed the VPWR(power from computer) and the PWR GND (power ground)with the meter set on DC-V #20 I got 12.15

Next I tested the OHMS with key in the off position,still with the MAF sensor un-plugged and with the VOM set at 2000K and probing the MAF SIG, and the MAF RTN, I got 130. Then I turned the meter to 200K and got 131.3. Also with the VOM set on ohms, I probed the MAF SIG, and the PWR GND with the key in the off position and at 2000K I got 101 and with the meter set on 200K got 101.7.

Last test I did was Volts, I started the car up and with the MAF plugged up I probed the MAF SIG and the PWR GND, with the car idling and the VOM set on DC-V #20 I got +0.02, I think this is to low and if it is what do I do.
* I also tried idling the car up while testing and no affect on the reading.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:24 PM   #4
Mach 1
Registered Member

Sorry man, been extremely busy lately, and I havent had time to dig through my troubleshooting books to get you the information you need. Maybe someone else can chip in. If not, ill get back to you as soon as I can.

later
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:43 PM   #5
BOW TIE SMASHER
Registered Member

Hey, thanks MACH 1 I appreciate you taking time to read my post, I think I may have it figured out I called FORD TECH in Michigan they give me a diffrent set of tests to run and diagnosed my problem I have a bad MAF Sensor, If any one has any similar problems I would be happy to give the types of tests , and numbers you should have it was very simple.

Thanks for the help everyone

BTS.. a.k.a Allen
Old 10-28-2002, 08:02 PM   #6
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Hey Allen - I think mine is fried. If you would, please tell me how to test it and the results that I should be getting. I would really appreciate it. Thanks,
Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 09:16 PM   #7
BOW TIE SMASHER
Registered Member

O.K. heres what I was told to do.
#1-Set your VOM to Volts 20K setting then place black lead on negative side of the battery, place red lead on the "A" position of the connector harness (this is MAF PWR wire) with key on engine off - you should read +10.5 volts or higher (I got +12.15)

#2 Set your VOM to ohms place the black lead again on the neg side of the battery and this time place the red lead on the "B" position of the connector harness (this is the PWR GND wire) with key on engine off - you can check it on 2000K, 200K, or 20K but your reading should NOT be higher than 0.2 ohms (I got 0.13)

#3 If its a conversion next check that "C" position (this is the MAF RTN) is connected to pin # 9 in the computer

#4 Also for conversions Check that the "D" position (this is the MAF SIG) is connected to pin # 50 in the computer.

#5 Next with MAF sensor connected and battery dis-connected cut a small piece of the protective covering away from the 4 wires going into the MAF sensor Pink, Black, Green, White you will need to cut a small slit, or if you can poke the probes thru the wiring to get a connection between the VOM leads and the wires.

#6 re-connect the battery and start the car now, with VOM on 20K volts setting probe the "B" side (PWR GND) with the black probe, and the "A" side (MAF PWR) with the red probe at idle you should have +12 volts or so (he told me battery voltage was ok) (mine was 12.47) and then idle car to 2000 rpm and it should go up (mine went to 14.69)

#7 now check "C" (MAF RTN) with black lead, and "D" (MAF SIG) with red lead, still with VOM set on 20 k volts, and the car running at idle you should get .7 to .9 and at 2000 rpm 1.4 to 1.6 ( I got 0.01, and with rpm at 2000 it only went to 0.02) * where the beginning of my trouble started.

#8 last test I was told to perform with VOM set on 20k volt setting and with the key on engine off check the connector once again this time ground black lead to battery, and red lead to "C" (MAF RTN) wire, then to "D" (MAF SIG) wire if you get +4.0volts or higher on either test then it may be the MAF sensor. *based on my numbers on the tests this is what the tech concluded.

I also have a 93 cobra computer so if you don't have this particular computer your results may vary-write down your numbers call and let the tech know you test procedures

If you perform these tests and any numbers don't match here is the Ford Tech line in Michigan.
1-(586)-468-1356 Good Luck