MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-01-2002, 04:14 AM   #1
zepherman
Registered Member

Default what fails first with too much nitrous

with a motor with more than 100,000 miles on it, where are the weak points.

I probably shouldnt ask this because no one will agree, but at what hp levels do most stock motors start having problems.
90 GT 25th Anni. Did the AOD to T-5 swap, SPEC clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, BBK 2½ inch off-road H pipe, Flows, BBK 70mm TB/EGR, Ford Racing aluminim driveshaft, 3.55's, welded subframes, Ram Air, 3 core radiator, NOS dry kit 75 shot, and a K&N filter.

12.9 @ 108
zepherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 07:32 AM   #2
rppngears
Registered Member

zepherman,
As long as you take car of you stang, change the oil on time and such, 100,000 miles realy isn't that much. The first thing that starts to go, besides if something just breaks because of manufacturers defect, weak spot in metal or misuse (such as reving to 6000 rpms every shift), is the piston rings. With the other possibilities I just mentioned, there is no way to tell about these, but 302's are good engines and usually I don't think you have to worry about those so much. By putting nitrous on an engine with already weakened rings, you can easily finish them off. Especially if you hit the nitrous while you fuel mixture is to lean, or you are not full throttle. But, as long as you don't use anything bigger than a 50 - 100 shot (in my opinion) and don't go through 5 bottles a week, you should be fine.
If you want to check the condition of your rings, besides of course by taking your engine apart, you can perform a compression check. If your compression is what is should be, than your rings are probably ok.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:05 AM   #3
lx mike
Undescribable

Head gasket would be first to go with 2 much nitrous. My friend has 140K on his stang and run 150 shot and no trouble YET he keeps timing down and the engine cool when he's racing otherwise it will detonate and that bad for the entire engine!!
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:25 AM   #4
ssccoupe91
Registered Member

302s can take alot of punishment,, my motor has over 100,000 and its still running strong and just fine.. just keep care of it.. keep the oil changed and stuff like that..
ssccoupe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:31 AM   #5
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Head gaskets are usually the first to go..i do agree with that. But people always want to blame nitrous for their problems. It isn't the nitrous's falt. Nitrous can only be effective as you make it. It's the user that's dangerous..not the nitrous. If using properly and effectively it's a good tool to have.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:56 AM   #6
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

According to the madd, g-money experts who were behind the making of the Fast and the Furious....

First to go will be the floor panel....rivets and such will fly out and then your floor will fall off.

Next to go will be the radiator and white smoke will pour from your engine just before your brakes lock up and you spin out.

If you're lucky and didn't stay in it too long, you might have saved your intake welds, but your piston rings are surey fried.

Sorry, doesn't look too good.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 03:19 PM   #7
zepherman
Registered Member

God i hate that movie, but then without it there wouldnt be as many ricers around the city for me to trounce.

i have been running a 125 shot for a while(3 bottles worth) with normal plugs and when i install my colder plugs i was thinking of increasing the shot. What can i do to keep the head gaskets rom blowing? I was thinking about 175 shot.

By theway i just wanted to mention that i have personally whitnessed a stock 5.0 stang make multiple passes on th dyno with a 200 shot plate kit with no problems Awesome
90 GT 25th Anni. Did the AOD to T-5 swap, SPEC clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, BBK 2½ inch off-road H pipe, Flows, BBK 70mm TB/EGR, Ford Racing aluminim driveshaft, 3.55's, welded subframes, Ram Air, 3 core radiator, NOS dry kit 75 shot, and a K&N filter.

12.9 @ 108
zepherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 04:41 PM   #8
mysweetlx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by silver_pilate
According to the madd, g-money experts who were behind the making of the Fast and the Furious....

First to go will be the floor panel....rivets and such will fly out and then your floor will fall off.

Next to go will be the radiator and white smoke will pour from your engine just before your brakes lock up and you spin out.

If you're lucky and didn't stay in it too long, you might have saved your intake welds, but your piston rings are surey fried.

Sorry, doesn't look too good.

--nathan
LMFAO. Good one Nate. I love watching that scene....it's hilarious.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:36 PM   #9
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Talking

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most excellent answer Silver. LOL I need to copy and paste that for future use. BTW They must of used imported blind rivets........
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote