MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-02-2001, 01:48 AM   #1
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Post Re-thinking my do it yourself project.......

New Heads,Intake,t/b,maf sensor, and second guessing doing it myself, with my biggest concern on my heads. Worried about pushrods,rockers,etc. What to look for pushrod installation, etc...Any help would be appreciated. Wanted to to this myself, am very familiar with my toy, but slightly worried about screwing something up with the installation of the above parts.

Heads=GT40 P heads
Intake= Cobra upper and lower
T/B Ford Racing 65 mm
MAF sensor= C and L 73mm

Anyone with pictures,tech support, or thoughts.....Thank you

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip and just purchased some GT40P heads, looking at exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus on it's way...
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 02:25 AM   #2
chris91LX
Registered Member

Maybe have someone assemble and install the heads if your worried. The new intake would be nothing for them to put on when the old comes off for the install. The rest is a piece of cake.

------------------
91 LX 5.0
Z t-5, 3:73 gear, Vortech 73mm Mass Air, Accufab 65mm TB, BBK underdrives, Crane HI-6S Ignition, BBK unequal length headers, Bassani x pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, Kenny Brown Super Subs, Factory Five Control Arms, Mac cold air kit and more to come!
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 08:19 AM   #3
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Cool

You shouldn't be real worried about putting the heads on, the big thing is to get the push rods to "0" lash, you have to take your time and it would take me forever to type it up. I can send you a copy of the instructions that came with my Holley kit it shows how to assemble everything you need. Just give me a fax number or shoot me your address and I'll Fed-Ex it to you. It is always nice to say built by owner. Rick91GT@onemain.com

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 10:58 AM   #4
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Do you have any buddys that could help you?? I have done that for some of my friends and two heads are better than one often, especially when you get tired.

If you are not changing the cam, finding 0 lash should be much easier if you are sticking with the stock non adjustable rockers. You Ford guys have it easy that way, I've spent hours with my adjustable rockers on my chevy engines.

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Stone stock soon to be daily driver
74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 11:23 AM   #5
Green92LX
Registered Member

The best way to learn is to jump into it, but I think that heads are a heck of a jump. I did my first big jobs like that by myself, but I had friends that I could call if I needed them. Anybody can take them apart, but the brains come in when you put them back together...

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 205K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps, cut and welded stock shifter...and it runs like a champ.
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 11:50 AM   #6
1989GT
Registered Member

You can do it!(voice from the crazy guy in the water boy) Look man it's really a piece of cake. The hardest part of the whole thing is putting the headers on. If you've put headers on before you can do this. I'm gonna tell you something I'm 18 years old. I put heads and intake on my car when I was 17. With nothing more than what knowledge I had(never done anything like this before) a manual, and the tech support from this great board! If you have any mechanical ability at all you can do this. The easiest way to put the rocker arms on is with the lower intake off. That way as you rotate the engine you can make sure that you're at the base of the cam cycle(both valves closed) by looking at the lifters when they're both at the lowest point you put the rocker arms on. Well if you have any questions just ask. Good luck man!

------------------
89GT,T-5Z, D.S.S. 306 shortblock w\main support, B-303 cam, Cobra intake, GT40P heads, 1.72rr, MAC "P" headers, MAC off-road H-Pipe, MAC true-fit w\tips, 373's...and the list goes on!
Throttle Junkie Powered by Ford!
12.824 @ 107.05 MPH
PVT Blankenship leaving for BCT 14MAR01
MOS 67 Romeo

1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 12:12 PM   #7
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

Yeah, I say do it yourself. You'll appreciate the car a lot more when you are finished.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote