MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
aar0s
Registered Member

Default got my car on a dyno

got a dyno at a local 2 day show(15 bucks!) and got up on it, made 224 hp and 279 tq. what else could i do to make more power? id like to have about 250 and 300 tq. what was stock tq and was the stock ratings at the crank or flywheel?
aar0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:23 AM   #2
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

first thing I would do to make more power would be to open up the exaust, go for a cat back to let the motor breathe a little easier. You also have all the other basic bolt on's?
After that I would start looking at either a power adder or heads, or both if you have the dough.
The fox bodies made (depending on year) between 205 to 215 hp and right around 300 ft/lbs at the flywheel. The RWHP would vary a little depending on the tranny.

Hope this helps,
J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:14 AM   #3
aar0s
Registered Member

iv already done the cat back ,off road h with dumps. was thinking about finding some stock heads and doing a port and some 1.6 or 1.7 rollers on it. would my speed dens. car handle it or would the computer freak?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:18 AM   #4
tmoss
Registered Member

Your SD computer will not freak if you keep the stock cam. The biggest restriction in your intake tract is the stock lower intake. One thing you can do is get that ported and pick up some decent power. Click on the link in my signature for more info on ported stock intake power results.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:48 AM   #5
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

I dont think the SD would like it, Sorry, I missed that you werent mass air Are you going to switch over? It makes modding the car much easier. Actually I'm not sure that theres much more that you could do to a SD engine without the system going goofy. I'm sure one of the more learned members will have a better idea.

*edit* Well, there you have it, lol, talk about timing

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
nastyn8
Smokes The Dope

was it in harrisburg?
nastyn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 03:53 PM   #7
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

OK , been here done that.. Before I did anything, i dyno's at 211 at the rear wheels with 267 torque. Now, any mods after that, your Speed density still will be useless. speed density is great and is fast if left on a unmodified car.. the minute you start modifing it, it will not like it and you won't get any more Hp from it unless you upgrade to Mass Air. If you plan on making more HP, then convert to mass air. but being stock your doing very well!
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #8
tmoss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 88fivepointoh
OK , been here done that.. Before I did anything, i dyno's at 211 at the rear wheels with 267 torque. Now, any mods after that, your Speed density still will be useless. speed density is great and is fast if left on a unmodified car.. the minute you start modifing it, it will not like it and you won't get any more Hp from it unless you upgrade to Mass Air. If you plan on making more HP, then convert to mass air. but being stock your doing very well!
Then how do you explain the results in my signature - SD and still 19# injectors. Car started and ran like I didn't do a thing to it. After some recent tuning on timing (13* to 16*) and a bump in fuel pressure (39psi to 42psi) I bet I'm between 270-280RWHP.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

Old 09-06-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
aar0s
Registered Member

Talking

yeh the show was in harrisburg. i know what your talking about 88, i put a accufab tb on it and the idle was too high but if i unplug the iab its right. good show about 150 cars there.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:48 PM   #10
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

With what you did, if you went mass air you would have alot more HP then what you have now.. I bet my paycheck on that statement. There is alot more power in that setup then you have now..

As for the TB, yea cause the motor doesn't know how much air its pulling so its just acting as if you have your foot on the gas.

Speed density is good for stock motors upgrades or modified motors mass air is best.. Some guys run SD on modified motors but if you notice they have custom chips too, to get the sd to work.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:56 PM   #11
nastyn8
Smokes The Dope

Yes great show for the area, it keeps increasing maybe next we could see 200+, i watched the dynos today and it seemed like it was off a little. most of the cars on it seemed like they would have had more hp. Next year I might have my car there.
Later
Old 09-06-2004, 05:09 PM   #12
nastyn8
Smokes The Dope

I've seen your car before, it's really sweet. you live past Gibbs fertilizer dont ya
Old 09-06-2004, 05:09 PM   #13
aar0s
Registered Member

hey nasty what color is your stang? Tmoss how far are you from harrisburg and how much to port a set of stock heads?
Old 09-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #14
nastyn8
Smokes The Dope

It's red, I did mine for free out at SIC, I think Mallodys would probably be your best bet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000559.jpg (65.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-06-2004, 05:24 PM   #15
nastyn8
Smokes The Dope

im just from eldorado
Old 09-06-2004, 06:44 PM   #16
tmoss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aar0s
hey nasty what color is your stang? Tmoss how far are you from harrisburg and how much to port a set of stock heads?
I'm in St. Louis, Missouri. I don't port heads other than locally, but I've done intakes for people in just about every state and Canada.

88fivepointoh, lots more power huh? - just how much more power should I be making?

Old 09-06-2004, 07:13 PM   #17
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

I bet you'll get about another 10-15 more HP... I have been down this SD and Mass air road before with both my car and with cars at kennedy Dyno tunes and they agree as well that a SD system can be ok for mild stock applications but for modifications, Mass Air is the way to go.. In your setup, your computer isn't seeing the added airflow that the porting has done for ya, therefore not adjusting accordingly. you have basically made the stock readings more efficient hense a few more HP. If you can monitor that airflow you'll be making even more HP by matching the fuel to it.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:30 PM   #18
aar0s
Registered Member

Talking

nasty- yeh thats me Im not really sure if im wanting to spend the money to do the mass air (want paint and leather seats). I am needing to change the valve cover gaskets and was thinking of 1.6's and new valve springs. as for the tb and high idle I was thinking that the 65mm tb may be letting too much air by the iab so im going to make a new gasket with smaller holes to try to fix it.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:35 PM   #19
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

If your going to try and restrict the air intake by making an oversized gasket that won't work.. It will still pull the air in.. just reset the idle and adjust the idle low and that will solve that.. you'll have to reset your TPS as well.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #20
tmoss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 88fivepointoh
I... In your setup, your computer isn't seeing the added airflow that the porting has done for ya, therefore not adjusting accordingly. you have basically made the stock readings more efficient hense a few more HP. If you can monitor that airflow you'll be making even more HP by matching the fuel to it.
40 untuned HP is a "few"? What about the EEC's "adaptive control" feature? Know what that does? The only air/fuel tuning I need to do is at WOT due to adpative control. My A/F ratio was about 13.5 average - look at my dyno sheet attached. MAF is not going to make MAJOR improvements. But base timing and some fuel may - we will see next dyno.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmoss explorer dyno.jpg (71.1 KB, 14 views)