MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-11-2001, 12:57 AM   #1
Patrick Boetticher
Registered Member

Post HP or ET #s

I just did the intake/ cam swap, and it just doesnt do what i thouth it would AND IT IDLES LIKE CRAP her is the MODs That i HAve done... help...
75mm MAS AIR, 19 lbs injectors,stock TB (sorry i need a new one of these too)Ported Explorer intake, edelbrock valve springs, edelbrock intake elbow, Adj fuel Regulator and gauge (set at 40 at idle), BBK Headers, BBK 2 cat H-pipe,Flowmasters, MSD blaster coil, MSD 6AL, Pulleys, timing set at 12,ummm ummm, Ohh and a E-303 cam.

It idles like crap, and YES i have done everything right i checedk it and then had some one else checed it, vacume is good, and timing is good
is it the prussure HELP please

[This message has been edited by Patrick Boetticher (edited 02-11-2001).]
Patrick Boetticher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 01:03 AM   #2
Patrick Boetticher
Registered Member

I also have a 1/2" plenum spacer,, can you belive it all fits under the stock HOOD

[This message has been edited by Patrick Boetticher (edited 02-11-2001).

WITHAMC, the swap went well except for the rain, make shure that you have all the parts and i would change the timeing chain , even if you dont think you need to, do it any way PAW has a true double roller for $45, any question gimme a hallor... Watch out for that AC/ condencer its a Pain!!!

Old 02-11-2001, 01:27 AM   #3
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Unplug the vacuum on the a/c, and all those little vacuum lines cluster. It's located on the drivers side about 2 inches from the top....unplug the second from the passengers side, it will clear it up.

------------------
Dustin
1993 Cobra #1926

Bassani Full lengths,Bassani short X-pipe, American thunder Cat back, 3.55's. More to come...
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 02:18 AM   #4
withamc
Registered Member

You didn't say - you set the fuel pressure with the vacuum to the regulator pulled, right? Also, I think with that cam, intake and MAF the stock TB is choking the engine at high revs. Another thing to look at would be setting the idle - the Probst book has a good section on that. Does your TPS read about .9 volts?
Thanks for the info on the cam swap - PAW hasn't got it in yet. Maybe just as well - the wife thinks I should finish the bathroom before I play with the car more.
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 05:24 AM   #5
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Dustin- why unplug all the A/C stuff?

Re-set the computer by pulling the battery cables off for 15mins or so. It will have to re-learn how to idle and how to drive, so let it find the idle which it should then take it out for a cruise that should help. I agree with checking the TPS and how much FP are you running? I didn't see aftermarket heads in your combo, those stockers will hold you back with a ported intake, I think that is a much bigger bottle neck then the stock TB.

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 07:58 AM   #6
John Morgan
Registered Member

Are you sure you got the valves re-adjusted properly?? That could cause bad idle. How does it run besides the idle?? Still sounds like a vaccumm leak to me but it might just be time for a idle bypass adjuster because of the amount of mods you have now.

------------------
89 Saleen #323 342ci Trick Flow T/W heads Procharged with Lentech AOD........and yes I know Im hacking up a Saleen to feed my drag racing fix
John Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 10:08 AM   #7
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Rick-It isn't the A/C stuff, it just has the A/C vacuum line on the cluster, sorry I wasn't clear, I couldn't remember what it was w/o looking at it. It is where the vacuum line on SD cars is...cleared up my idleing probs on my old 87 LX when I put a E cam in it

------------------
Dustin
1993 Cobra #1926

Bassani Full lengths,Bassani short X-pipe, American thunder Cat back, 3.55's. More to come...

[This message has been edited by SaleenGTS (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old 02-11-2001, 10:18 AM   #8
Patrick Boetticher
Registered Member

How do i set the Idle, It idles pretty rouph around 550rpm Or so i need to bring it up. i cant remember how to set it.... Brain Fart how do i check the TP.??
The rocker arms are adjusted proporly...
the vacume seems alright, 12-13

thanks a lot!!!!

Old 02-11-2001, 10:58 AM   #9
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Set the idle at the screw under the TB...right above the linkage.

To set the TPS, get a voltometer, and 2 pins or needles. poke into the green(negative)orange(positive) I think, it may be black, but I think it is green.

Set the voltmeter at the lowest DC setting, and losen the TPS. You will have to take it ogg totally, and get a drill bit to hog out the screw holes in order to get the .98v reading. Just be careful that you don't bore through the wall.

When you put it back on, rotate it until you get a .98-1.0v reading.

Good Luck

------------------
Dustin
1993 Cobra #1926

Old 02-11-2001, 11:31 AM   #10
9SecLX
Registered Member

The wires to poke are green and black. Set the TPS to around .94 or so.

------------------
9SecLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 01:21 AM   #11
Patrick Boetticher
Registered Member

Saleen GTS:
What do i do with the drill bit???? and what do i need to rotate????

thanks
Old 02-12-2001, 02:10 AM   #12
withamc
Registered Member

I know what he's talking about - your TPS is fastened to the TB with two screws. In order to be able to move the TPS enough to adjust the voltage, you need to remove the TPS from the TB and enlarge the holes a little with a drill bit, then put it back on and move it back and forth until you measure about .95 volts.
If you're still having problems, let me know and I'll copy the instructions on setting idle speed for you.
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 02:37 AM   #13
Patrick Boetticher
Registered Member

Thanks for the help WithAMC,
I drove the car for the first time to day.. its different but i was unablr to put my footin it cuz of the rain and i dont want to chance it but it feels great. also i need to get a new longer tube that goes fro the header to the EGR. it is bearly on but a thread or 2

[This message has been edited by Patrick Boetticher (edited 02-12-2001).]