MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-09-2001, 12:38 AM   #1
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Angry Clicking from Head installation?

I couldn't just have heads installed and not have a worry in the world could I? UGH. I had a mechanic put on some used gt-40y aluminum heads on my stock block. There are no fluid leaks. BUT there is this clicking noise coming from the passenger side of the engine. I'm not sure if it is an exhaust leak, for it does not sound exactly like one. I do know that now it seems like the car is harder to start. Especially when its hot. That is what makes me most nervous. Theres nothing worse than being stranded in a far city with no tools or knowledge of what this is. Is this harder starting normal with swapping heads? The car runs fine during cruising speeds(no bogging, no hesitation etc) AND WOT. I mean, I can feel the speed and gains with these heads, so what could the problem be? OH! I do notice that in 2nd gear(only time ive noticed it in) the clicking gets harder/louder as if it was closer to ME than it was before, during WOT, but still no performance loss. I'm begging everyone on this one. I have to drive a lot of miles in the next 4 days, so help would be very much oblidged. I've seen other "clicking" topics on here and stangnet. I'll goo look there for answers as well as here since I have provided personal info.

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, GT-40Y Turbo Swirl aluminum heads, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, adjustable fuel regulator 14.4@100 MPH on G-tech;96 at track. (Sad, i know. This is with the stock heads)
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 08:29 AM   #2
David Fulford
Registered Member

If it's only one side then it's probably not piston hitting valve or anything serious. I would say one of the valves needs to be re-adjusted.(lifter ticking) Then again it could be an exhaust leak also. I would try replacing the header gasket and see if it goes away. Maybe even double it up. If that doesn't help maybe it's a lifter. You can uses a long screwdriver like a stethascope to listen underneath the valve cover. Place the blade end on the valve cover and put your ear to the handle and if it's a lifter you should hear it ticking. Good luck.

------------------
1969 fast back; yellow; weld wheels; 302 roller with GT-40 heads; 3:55 gears; 5spd T-5; MSD 6AL; E-303; flows; Hedman headers; Holley 600;
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 09:57 AM   #3
moponys
Registered Member

I also experienced a ticking after installing heads, roller rockers, and aluminum valve covers. The mechanic said the ticking was the rocker clicking back and forth and the valve covers were aluminum and were letting the sound out. It wasn't that bad anyways. I definately wasn't harder to start though...

------------------
TFS twisted wedge heads, TFS street intake, Lunati cam .500/.510 218/226, BBK FPR
BBK shorties, BBK 70mm tb, Pro-m 75mm, ASP pulleys, FMS 3:73, Transgo shiftkit
Flowmasters, Bassani x-pipe, K&N FIPK, FMS 1.6 roller rockers, 9mm wires,24lbs injectors,
190lph fuel pump, MSD cap and rotor, 18" wheels w/street tires
moponys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 01:16 PM   #4
429mustang
Registered Member

Have you checked your timing? If it's too far advanced it could make a ticking noise and make your car hard to start.

------------------
86 Mustang GT w/pretty stock 93 5.0 (cam,pulleys,injectors, throttlebody,h-pipe)
Motor to be swapped for a 1970 429 +.030, ported heads, solid roller cam, victor intake, 10.2:1 comp, C-6 trans, 3:73 rearend W/moser axles
429mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 02:57 PM   #5
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Smile

Apparently, there was a sticker lifter. A mechanic said that some engines do not run right with certain oil. Last oil I put in was synthetic believe it or not... He put in 10w-40 conventional oil and the ticking is pretty much gone. I can hear it if I am looking for it though. As far as the hard starting goes..well..I'm gonna post up a different topic as to where I am with that.

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, GT-40Y Turbo Swirl aluminum heads, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, adjustable fuel regulator 14.4@100 MPH on G-tech;96 at track. (Sad, i know. This is with the stock heads)
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote