MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-06-2001, 11:09 AM   #1
D&R Stang

Post code scanners

Is one scanner better than another? Are they basically all the same? What are the different tests that can be run? Needless to say, I'm kinda new to EFI, and have no clue, that's why I'm asking y'all. I value the experienced opinions on this site.
Dave

------------------
Dave & Robin 88 GT, T5
306, polished crank, Speed Pro Powerforged pistons, ARP rod bolts, underdrive pulleys, cold air induction, 73mm MAF, Xtreme Energy Cam, 3.73's, 1 5/8 unequal length headers, Offroad H-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, turn-downs, King Cobra Clutch, Steeda adjustable clutch cable with firewall adjuster
Old 08-06-2001, 01:57 PM   #2
glxstang
Registered Member

Came across this about a month ago....looks interesting.....http://www.ghg.net/dharrison/palm.htm
glxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 02:56 PM   #3
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

The basic ones are just voltmeters that beep the number of times a current is present. You can make your own scanner by using a jumper and a voltmeter. I have a ScanTool, which tells you pretty much everything thet the computer monitors. I bought it from www.actron.com I think it's great and I have learned alot about my car since i got it.
You can buy the basic ones (code Readers) at Sears for about 30.00
Good luck!

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 03:28 PM   #4
D&R Stang

Thanks Gents, I appreciate the help. I've seen the ones like they have on actron.com before, but I wanted to make sure I didn't buy one that was crappy.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:13 PM   #5
PKRWUD

If you opt for a scan tool, as opposed to a code reader, look into getting one that is currently OBD I and OBD II compatible, or at least is easily and cheaply upgraded to OBD II. You only need OBD I diagnostic capabilities for your car, but if you're going to spend that much money, you should get a scan tool that can check other vehicles as well. My personal scan tool is an OTC MindReader, which works killer, and really does all the work for me, but I bought when OBD II wasn't available. I can upgrade it, but it involves changing the PROM, and will cost more than 2/3 the cost of an entirely new MindReader, so I'm in a bind. I now must be able to read OBD II systems, and will likely end up spending another $500 to get a new tool. If you make sure yours is OBD II compatible now, you will avoid this headache. For a cool little pdf brochure on the new MindReader, click here (or copy and paste it to your web browsers address line): http://www.otctools.com/brochures/219-1.pdf

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 07:49 PM   #6
79Stang
The Stang Gang

When I have to mess with a EFI 'stang, I goto Sears, and buy one of their scanners.. When I'm done I return it.. Works for me!

79Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 09:22 PM   #7
PKRWUD

So YOU'RE the guy!

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote