MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-08-2001, 01:05 AM   #1
WADS56
gear banger

Question transmission choice

I need to get a trans that will hold up to a low 10 high 9 second blast. I would like to stay with a manual trans, but it is hard to beat the consistancy of a auto.
I have called a crap load of trans people and so far my best bet is Liberty, or Hanlon motorsports. They both said that the can build me a proshifted TKO II but can't garenty it to hold up. My best bet would be to get a Jerico 4 speed but it will cost about 3500.00
I also have been looking at Lentech's pro 50 aod. I don't know much about auto's but it can hold 1500+ horsepower wich is overkill. If I get an auto I would want one that could leave the line as hard as a manual and haul *** down the strip but still be able to take it out on cruise nights if I want.
What do you guys think? Should I spend my money on the TKO or Jerico, or should I go with a auto setup?
By the way... this is a track car 80% of the time.

------------------
NA 347 W/ stage 2 Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam, Aeromotive fuel system.
MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 01:16 AM   #2
95 King GT
Registered Member

Level 10 makes a mean auto tranny and so does lentech but I heard better things about level 10
95 King GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 01:23 AM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Lightbulb

With a 9sec car, I'd have to say auto. Lentech or a built C4. No missed shifts, no blown engines, no blown trannies from getting 1/2 into gear. Just my opinion. I would be willing to bet the TKO would hold it, I'd bet the Viper spec T-56 would hold. Vipers can run 10's with slicks and some tweeking pretty easy from what I've heard, and I haven't heard of their trannies giving up the ghost either. Just another thought.

If push comes to shove, get the T-5 from a 1983-1984 Mustang. LOL!
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 02:01 AM   #4
WADS56
gear banger

As far as the C4 vs AOD is either one better at the track. The AOD would be better on the street because of overdrive, but I'm not sure if it is worth the extra cash.
What about the mighty might C4 by Dynamic? The price looks o.k. If I go with a auto I want a all out strip monster. I just don't want to spend my money on one and then wish I got a manual.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:39 PM   #5
BlackFly
Registered Member

if you are planning on doing 10's, you would most likely have a VERY high stall converter in an auto, which would probably irritate you on the street.the auto is more likely the better way to get down the track with out making a mistake and staying consistant. if your 20 percent street use is actually a fair amount of time , the stick would probably make you more happy.auto's get boring sometimes, sticks get bothersome in stop and go . if the track matters more, auto is a better choice. the jerrico is not much fun on the street, i beleive it doesnt downshift worth a sh/t.or at all.
BlackFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 04:38 PM   #6
LX NCH 50
Registered Member

Hey, I am in the same boat you are... I just picked up a 460 big block and had to go tranny hunting to find something that can hold 600+ HP... I didn't want to go auto cuase it takes half the fun out of driving. Anyway, the trans I have settled with is a Toploader. They were in production from '64-'72 or somewhere around those years. They are designed for both drag, and circle racing. From what I have learned they are as strong, if not stronger then a c-4. www.toploader4speed.com I think is the site I looked up to order from. A full out trans that will be strong enough for you should run you less then 2,000 that doesn't include bell-housing or clutch though. Check it out, it's worth looking into.
-Kevin
LX NCH 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 06:42 PM   #7
Yan88gt
Registered Member

Muscle mustang and fast ford have done a cover on a 1200 HP street car 6 month ago. It was a 351W twin turbo with t56 viper tranny.
Yan88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 11:15 PM   #8
WADS56
gear banger

Quote:
Originally posted by LX NCH 50:
Hey, I am in the same boat you are... I just picked up a 460 big block and had to go tranny hunting to find something that can hold 600+ HP... I didn't want to go auto cuase it takes half the fun out of driving. Anyway, the trans I have settled with is a Toploader. They were in production from '64-'72 or somewhere around those years. They are designed for both drag, and circle racing. From what I have learned they are as strong, if not stronger then a c-4. www.toploader4speed.com I think is the site I looked up to order from. A full out trans that will be strong enough for you should run you less then 2,000 that doesn't include bell-housing or clutch though. Check it out, it's worth looking into.
-Kevin
I was wondering about those. I tried the link ad it dosn't work. If you can can you find the website for me?

Wade

------------------
NA 347 W/ stage 2 Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam, Aeromotive fuel system.
MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
Old 08-10-2001, 12:40 AM   #9
rbatson

I've got an AOD and less than 500hp, I just got my car back with the lentech valve body. I've only had it back for one night but so far.... I can't believe the difference!! I had the converter recalibrated to be non-lockup too (PI stallion). The valve body is an auto/manual. you can hold your gears or let the tranny shift for you. All I can say is.. What a Difference!! I finally feel the power my motor is making!!

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 7/20/2001)
Sold
Old 08-10-2001, 02:47 AM   #10
84_GT350
Registered Member

I'd go with the Lentech. A Jerico would be the sh!t but expensive as hell. A Tremec would probably hold...but when you run high 9's "probably" isn't really acceptable. I like the consistency of an auto as well. No missed shifts at 6500rpm.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 06:46 AM   #11
Jeff Chambers

My vote would have to go Lentech as well. There's quite a few 9.99 and below cars out there running them week in and week out in organized competition. Tim Forbes ran his in Street Outlaw all of last season without the tranny ever coming out. They went to freshen it during the off-season and found that it was in perfect condition, didn't need a refresh at all.

I'm running my Lentech Pure Street Terminator Lock-up (both OD and lock-up are functional) behind about 425 to 450 bhp now and have gone to eight races this season, plus my local outings and its never missed a beat. I absolutely love driving the AOD compared to worrying about breaking T5's like I did last season. It lets me concentrate on my driving skills and work on consistency. Eight FFW events this year and I've been to the semis in six of them and on to the finals in one. I'd say its got what it takes. If I were running on a fresh motor, there'd be a lot more finals there....oh well, there's always next season.

Go Lentech, you won't regret it.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.462 Seconds / 117.43 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 07:03 AM   #12
WADS56
gear banger

Thumbs up

Thanks for the comments guys, but I think I have to go with the tremec. Liberty said they can send me a new proshifted TKOII with the yoke for the big output shaft to my door for $2100.00 If I went to an auto I don't think that I would be happy unless it was an aod-e with the bauminater. Then I would be able to control the transmissions shift points and stall speed to whatever or whenever I wanted. That would cost mucho $$$ for a setup like that so the tremec seems more practical.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:59 AM   #13
Todd_A
Registered Member

C4 is a lot more efficient than an AOD from what I hear. They say it is one of the most efficient autos out there, so I say go with the C4 and a trans brake and decent stall. There are plenty of guys here in the area that run 9s with autos and higher stalls that come to cruise night all the time and even drive their cars around more than that. I know 2 that drive over 30 minutes to these events with their 9 second cars.
Todd_A is offline   Reply With Quote