MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-10-2001, 07:33 AM   #1
Chipdog
Registered Member

Post One more "What gauge to get" question

I got a Gauge Cage for my birthday. It is the one with 2, 2 5/8" gauges with vents for the center a/c vent. I already have a boost gauge for the first now I would like to know what you think the other should be. I was thinking about a fuel pressure but tell if there is something more important I need to have.

I know this has been gone over time and time again but its always nice to get a fresh opinion.

------------------
92 GT Convertible
Hooker Headers, H-Pipe, Flow Masters, 4.10s, BBK 1.5 drop, 73mm Mass air, 65 FMS TB, FMS Aluminum radiator, T-5 swap with a Steeda shifter.

And a Small Blow Job
Chipdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 08:10 AM   #2
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Well if you have a blower I would say Fuel Pressure, you'll need the electrical gauge since fuel is not allowed in the cock pit per NHRA rules.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon! <B
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 09:07 AM   #3
PKRWUD

I always answer this queston the same: Vacuum gauge! But you've already got that covered, so then comes the basics. For a normally aspirated engine, my second choice would be a quality Water Temp. Gauge, followed by a Volt Gauge, a Fuel Pressure Gauge and last would be an Oil Pressure Gauge. For a boosted engine, my order would be Boost/Vacuum, Fuel Pressure, Water Temp., Volts, Head Temp. and again in last place, an Oil Pressure Gauge.

Let me emphasize that while I do believe oil pressure is important, it's no where near as critical as we've been led to believe. In truth, no engine requires more than 10 psi per 1000 rpm's, and unless you monitor the gauge consistantly, it won't do you good anyway. The time between a failure that would result in low or no oil pressure and engine failure is a matter of minutes, at best. A pressure sensitive switch set at 15 psi and wired to a bright warning light stands a much better chance of getting a drivers attention during everyday driving than a typical gauge does, but requires an annual check to verify it's accuracy. Another important gauge more people should consider is a Trans. Temp. Gauge (for automatics). For any auto trans to work properly in a high performance drivetrain, a smaller torque convertor is required. That yields higher tranny temps, and makes a gauge a wise investment (I personally think all "high performance" torque convertors should be sold with a tranny cooler as well, but I don't see that happening any time soon).

I never get tired of seeing this question. Accurate gauges are critical for the healthy, long life of any engine/drivetrain. I wish more people would take the time to consider adding a quality set before relying on the factory installed gauges (Uhm, what's my car's temperature when the needle is between the M and the A?).

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote