MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-09-2001, 02:15 AM   #1
stng87
Registered Member

Post solving the headlight problem

I have become wuite irritated with my headlights and switch. Ive replaced both the HL switch and the multifunction switch and they all seem to have one problem or another. Because of this annoyance i am going to add a moroso switch panel to control all the functions of the headlight switch.
What i need to know is which wires turn on which accessory? I.E. headlights, markerlights, taillights/dashlights.
Thanks

------------------
1987 black with t-tops. Cobra intake, 1.7 cobra crane rollers, gt40p's, bbk shorties, off road h-pipe, Holley adj. fuel pressure regulator, Tremec t-5z, 65mm TB, 4.10's, adj cable, 155lph fuel pump, Ram clutch kit, 3 row motorsport radiator,
275-60-15 BFG TA's on Welds, Hurst shifter,Former AOD Semper Fi
stng87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 07:49 PM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

Is your car a GT with the fog lights? If so, that's your problem. Ford used too wimpy a wire for the fog lights which cause them to overheat which burns out the switch.

You can fix this by rewiring the fog light power to switch a relay and then have the power come straight from the battery to the fog lights through the relay. Use 12-14 gauge wire. I plan to do this soon, so if you want me to take pics, I will.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 02:03 AM   #3
89lxinwky
Registered Member

In my '87 GT, I rewired the fog lights as mentioned above and it worked fine. For doing stuff like you mentioned, a Haynes repair manual is great. It has wiring diagrams of everything. It helped me a great deal when I was working on the stereo and speakers. I think you can get one for about $12 at Autozone or somewhere similar.

------------------
'89 LX 5.0
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 10:14 AM   #4
stng87
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies and no i have an lx with no foglights.
Ive looked in the haynes manual and decited that i dont have the first clue on how to decipher that wiring diagram. It perplexes me. I was hoping that someone had done it already.
stng87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 02:02 PM   #5
PKRWUD

I just spent 45 minutes going over them. I'm ASE Certified in automotive electrical/electronic systems, and I found them to be pretty confusing too! The complexity lies with the fact that there are so many things controlled, and there is alot more to the lighting system than you might realize. You have the headlights, high beams, corner lamps (with and without the headlights), dash lights (powered by the switch, but controlled by a rheostat), the tail lights, the dome and courtesy lamps (powered by both the rheostat switch and the door switches, and controlled by both the rheostat and the door switch, with the door switch over-riding any control from the rheostat), as well as an indicator for the high beams and a warning chime in case the headlights are left on, all run through 6 fused circuits using 5 fuses.

And you say Moroso has a panel for this?

You need to decide specifically what you want to do, and which switch panel you are going to use. Send me a schematic of the switch panel you are going to use, along with your intents, and I'll see if I can put together some do-it-yourself instructions for you.

Take care
~Chris

pkrwuds@pacbell.net

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!

[This message has been edited by PKRWUD (edited 08-10-2001).]
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote