MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-09-2001, 09:24 PM   #1
quick89gt
Registered Member

Exclamation A/C Help

I put a new compressor, accumulator, high pressure switch, condensor, and o-rings in my car, but i did not put a new EVAPORATOR in because it's in the dash. The evap. has been open to the environment for over a year now and I was wondering if it will still be good? A mechanic told me that it will be fine, so I was wondering if you guys could second that opinion or give me any other info.

------------------
'89 GT, T-5,
Vortech S-Trim, GT-40P heads, MAC 1 5/8" headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, 2 1/2" Flowmasters, Edelbrock 65mm T.B., Trick Flow Intakes, Crane 2031 cam, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Screamin' Deamon Coil, 255lph Fuel Pump, T-Rex, SVO Motorsport Clutch, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Formula GP Suspension, MAC Upper & Lower Control Arms, FMS 3.73 Gears.
quick89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 09:51 PM   #2
andy669
Registered Member

Did you buy all that stuff brand new? If you did, i think you'd be a fool not the replace the evaporator. If this is all just good used stuff, i'd leave the same evaporator (cause they are a pain to change) and just pull a good vacuum on the whole system. If theres anything in the evap. coil, this will get it out.
andy

------------------
3 Black 94 GT Vert. AODE/TKO conversion, 3:73's, ported X-305's, GT40 manifolds, 75mm TB, 30lbers, PMS, 300 horse Top Gun wet kit, and all the other little stuff
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 10:58 PM   #3
quick89gt
Registered Member

Yes, these are all brand new parts...none of them are used. I was going to see how cool the air would blow or if it would even hold a charge with the current evaporator. when I had it at the shop, they didn't say the evap was leaking, so i'm assuming it is okay. i also have no clue where in the hell the fixed orifice tube is, so i didn't replace that either. i will see how these parts do and if they work. if not, then i guess i'll have to bite the bullet. josh

------------------
'89 GT, T-5,
Vortech S-Trim, GT-40P heads, MAC 1 5/8" headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, 2 1/2" Flowmasters, Edelbrock 65mm T.B., Trick Flow Intakes, Crane 2031 cam, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Screamin' Deamon Coil, 255lph Fuel Pump, T-Rex, SVO Motorsport Clutch, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Formula GP Suspension, MAC Upper & Lower Control Arms, FMS 3.73 Gears.
Old 08-10-2001, 08:18 AM   #4
andy669
Registered Member

Yeah, I didnt mean to imply that it wouldnt work. I'd just be nervous about something being in the old coil. Make sure its free and clear, and it should work great.
andy

------------------
3 Black 94 GT Vert. AODE/TKO conversion, 3:73's, ported X-305's, GT40 manifolds, 75mm TB, 30lbers, PMS, 300 horse Top Gun wet kit, and all the other little stuff
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 07:37 PM   #5
quick89gt
Registered Member

Well, I went to the body shop today and finished installing all of the new lines...and they put vaccuum on it and it held 28 H.G. of vaccuum for 10 minutes. Then, they went to charge it, but they didn't have enough R-12 freon to charge the damn system, so they have to wait until monday...they had to order a pig of it for $1,000. They only got to pump about 1.3lbs of freon into it, but no cool air blew out, but then again, that's because the systems needs 2.4lbs of freon, so that's not enough to cool. Well, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it will work. The guy said if it holds vaccuum through that vaccuum test that it should hold a charge too, so I'm crossing my fingers...Josh

------------------
'89 GT, T-5,