MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-11-2001, 11:06 AM   #1
Super_Stang
Registered Member

Post Getting the Valve Covers Off

I need to change the valve cover gaskets in my 89 gt. What all do i need to do to get them out of there? I mean do i need to take the upper plenium off to get the the one on the right hand side ( this is looking into the engine bay ) and i know on the left hand side i need to remove my cold air kit but what else.... i don't want to have to remove any hoses or anything like that. At most i need this to be a one day job cause i got school monday. any step by step links are appreciated also .
Super_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 11:16 AM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

yup, you'll have to take off the upper intake, so get a gasket for it. its pretty straight forward, make sure you put the vacuum lines all back, and the PCV valve too.

------------------
90LX AOD Convertable: Lakewood control arms, FMS springs.
Best 1/4: 15.277@92.25 (2.27 60')
AIM: dinomite1, roadracestang
dinomite@softhome.net
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 11:21 AM   #3
Super_Stang
Registered Member

are there just the 4 bolts for ther upper intake to the lower? And what about my egr spacer bolts? there are 4 (right?) and i need to get those off to take off the intake too? hmmmm sounds like a lotta work but it needs to be done.. See i have never done this on a newer car.. on my 67 the valve cover are RIGHT THERE. lol... what about the left side valve cover.. anything need to be removed to get it off?

------------------
1989 Mustang GT - BBK cold air kit, 3.73 gears, stock t5 (needs a rebuild), synthetic oil, mostly stock because i need it for school but i can still run the sh!t outta her.
1967 Mustang GT S-Code (390) - stroked to a 427 with 12.5:1 dome top pistons, dual 650 holly quads, lunati racing cam, edlebrock aluminum heads, MSD ignition and wires, Holly fuel delivery system, Eagle connecting rods and Eagle crank, 3.73 gears, 4 speed top loader, coupe, dark moss green. ( this is my outta town runner
Super_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 11:53 AM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

The cover on top of the intake hides 2 more bolts that hold the middle of the intake down. You have to remove the cover to get to them. Don't take the throttle body or EGR off of the intake. Just unbolt the upper intake, the cold air kit from the throttle body, the linkage from the TB, unhook the TPS and EGR connectors, and mark all the vacuum lines. That's all there is to it. It's reall easy once you've done it.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote