MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-28-2001, 11:07 PM   #1
Tod
Registered Member

Post would a K&N and some cats be not enough?

To all that gave info on my last subject, much thanks. Yall gave me great ideas on where to get started. But for now, maybe just a part here and there would get me started. Sounds like letting the car "breathe" is one of the more popular opinions, next to maybe gears. Would I be able to feel the difference with just a K&N filter and some Dynomax Super Turbo 2 1/2in exhaust? Or should I wait until I can put a couple of mods in at one time?

And yes, gears and intake are a must. What about a performance chip?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 11:32 PM   #2
withamc
Registered Member

My first mods were shorty headers, 2-1/2" H-pipe with cats, 2-1/2" Flowmaster cat-back system, I took the silencer off the air cleaner and advanced the timing to 14. Big seat-of-the-pants difference. Before, the engine pretty much cut out at 5000 RPM. First time I punched it after the mods it zipped right to 6000.

------------------
86 GT, GT40P heads, Cobra cam, 1.7 RR's, Cobra intake, 65mm TB, 73mm Vortech, 24# injectors, 2-1/2" BBK H-pipe (w/cats), Flowmasters, 3.55s.
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 03:38 PM   #3
sedanman
Registered Member

start with the free stuff take the air silencer out and bump up the timing, then get under drive pullies they are the best mod for under a 100 bucks hands down. Then save to get gears you will feel your biggest improvement with the install of gears. Then do the exhaust.

------------------
1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd, GT-40 Heads, Cobra intake, 73MM mass air, 65mm TB, FPR, 24lb injectors, E303, Headers,off road H-pipe, Flows, K&n , hurst, 3:55's, pullies, etc...
Best ET 13.5 (2.15 60ft)
Best MPH 103.9
On semi-bald street tires
New mods! electric fan, nitto drag radials, mac upper and lower control arms, HD trac-loc, lakewood 50/50's on back, shift light, centerforce dual friction, and rebuilt heavy duty T5

sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 04:27 PM   #4
Skankin
Registered Member

Get rid of the stock 4 cat H-pipe before you worry about the catback... that thing is aweful, and the catback won't do much with it in the way.

Even a high flow cat pipe would be an improvement.

On a near stock engine, I'd keep the headers for now, or you'll trade off the low end, and not gain much up top.

As for the K/N, I think a fendermount kit is best. I made a ram air, using the stock filter box... the K/N stops a lot of stuff (bugs & grit scooped up), but a lot of it is right around the ram air hole... so the rest of the filter isn't 'breathing' as much as it could.

Again, I'd go for an underdrive crank pulley, but keep the rest stock.

------------------
'89.5 5L LX, hatch, Medium Canyon Red, 155K Km (No winters), 5sp, 3.08, GT interior, a/c, Alpine CD, K/N, Crane PS91, Walbro 190 LPH, March Pulleys, Mr. Gasket 180 therm (HP balanced), 3 core rad, MarkVIII fan, Variflow controller, Polygraphite front bushings, FMS-5300B springs, 6 KYB's, 73mm Calipers, Maximum Motorsport 4pt chassis brace, Western Motorsport Racing's Sub-frame connectors. Re-ringed bottom end, conv. motor mounts, melling oil pump, FMS-C50 waterpump, GT40P heads (blended, polli
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote