MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-19-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
Reeker
Registered Member

Default New Owner with a question.

Hi all,
I just bought an 87 Mustang LX. Can anyone tell me what the diffrence is between a GT and an LX? I can't find any info on it. I did see something about a V6 and a V8. Is that all?

Thanks for the help.
~Reeker
Reeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:32 AM   #2
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default Re: New Owner with a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeker
Hi all,
I just bought an 87 Mustang LX. Can anyone tell me what the diffrence is between a GT and an LX? I can't find any info on it. I did see something about a V6 and a V8. Is that all?

Thanks for the help.
~Reeker
In those years, 87-93, it was an option package. The lx was available with a 2.3L 4 cyl and a 5.0L V8. the GT was only offered in a 5.0L V8. The GT had a body kit and a hatch back, and I think it had more interior options and creature comforts. The LX was available in a coupe (aka notchback, had a trunk) and a hatchback. They did not have the body kit available as a factory option. Both were offered in manual and automatic. Both were offered in convertible as well. Due to the body kit, the GT's had dumps before the rear bumper cover, and the LX's, having no body kit, had tail pipes out the back. I'm sure there are more differences, but, thats about all I can think of. I personally like the looks of a stock GT over a stock coupe, but with typical enhancements (17's, lowered, wider rear tires) I think the coupes look mean as hell. Here are some pics.
87 lx coupe:

87 lx hatchback:

87 GT:

Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

http://www.mustanggt.org/main.htm

they list the differences
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #4
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

I am pretty sure that all 87-89 gt's came with turbines and the v8 lx's came with the 10 holes.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
Reeker
Registered Member

Wow, Thank you for the informative replies! I'm not quite sure what all of it means yet but that's kinda hubbys area... for now.

I picked up my car this morning. Kinda scared me at first as my other car is a lil 4 cyl. Didn't take me very long to get comfortable and get going.

We figured we would have alot of work to do on the interior but so far just the rear seat belts need installed and the front part of the convertible top needs to be installed. The sterio system is set to be installed tomorrow. I'd like to slap the previous owner. He/she jammed a radio in it that obviously didn't belong there, and installed an equalizer upside down in it. All speakers on the passanger side are blown and the drivers side sounds so bad. Our sound tech is gonna cry. There was no reason to do that to that beautiful car.

The motor sounds a bit rough yet but it's been sitting for over a year so we expected some problems. Mostly belts needing replaced and a few minor adjustments here and there. The body has one minor dent. There is no rust on this car at all. If you would like to see it I have it posted on my site HERE

I guess I've rambled enough for now. Please forgive me, this is my dream car and I still have a hard time believing it's sitting in the driveway.

~Reeker
Old 01-19-2005, 11:01 PM   #6
Ieatcamaros

Congrats on your purchase. IMO, there is no car more fun to drive than a 5speed V8 fox body mustang. It seems that you are already hooked on it. There are a lot of people on this site who can help you with any problems you encounter with your car. Welcome to the mustang world.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:00 AM   #7
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I agree. I have not even owned a Fox body, but drove my buddies all the time until he turned 16. That car hands down was the most fun to drive, and someday I will have a fox body sitting next to my old girl. Congrats on the buy!
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieatcamaros
I am pretty sure that all 87-89 gt's came with turbines and the v8 lx's came with the 10 holes.
The 90Gt was the last year for turbine wheels. I should know, I still sport those cheese graters on my ride!

GOOD LUCK REEKER!
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:39 PM   #9
Ieatcamaros

Quote:
I still sport those cheese graters on my ride!
HAHA! Me too. I like that sleeper look. Makes the ricers think they are racing a stock GT. Thanks for correcting me, I thought that 90 was the first year of the pony wheels.