MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-26-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Do you know what this is??

Hey everybody, I am having trouble trying to figure out what exactly this is. I will put some pics of it up so you can see it. I brought these pictures to Napa, and they couldnt tell me what it was for! This hole seems to connect all the exhaust ports through, from what i believe is those EGR ports. Any help would be awesome, i need to know where i can get a new one. Pic one is of the side of the head where the block off thing is missing, the other pic is of the one that is still there. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 302 EGR1.JPG (365.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 302 EGR4.JPG (358.9 KB, 49 views)
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
USMC302
Registered Member

Default Re: Do you know what this is??

Could it possibly be a cylinder head coolant passage? Maybe a freeze plug could fix that.

Last edited by USMC302; 01-26-2005 at 01:27 PM..
USMC302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Hmmm...... What kind of heads are those?

I have never seen anything like that.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
bmxmon
Registered Member

79 ford 302, what I was told anywho, out of a Ford truck. It has theads in it, the machine shop didnt think that a freeze plug would hold.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

I have never seen that before either. I don't see the threads that you are talking about. Obviously there are inside the hole a little deeper than we can see in the pic. Does it have threaded hole in it for a bolt the same size as the bolt in the other head? You can get a slug made to look like the other one and just bolt it on if that's the case. I think that it is most likely egr/smog related. Are there any "ports" on the back of the heads?
Old 01-27-2005, 09:08 AM   #6
NitroNixon
Registered Member

I agree with Ieatcamaros.

As of 2/1/06
650 DP Carb
Crosswind Intake
Edelbrock Performer Heads
97 Explorer Bottomend w/ B-303 Cam
1.7 Roller Rockers
Flowtech Longtube Headers
Flowtech H-Pipe
MSD Black Wires
MSD ignition
MSD Distributor
Blaster 3 Coil
Electric Fan
Underdrive Pullies
T5 Trans
Hurst Shifter
Lowered 1.5"
373 Gears
NitroNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #7
bmxmon
Registered Member

yeah, sorry about the pics not showing the threads. There are no other holes on the outside of the block, other than the one I am trying to figure out. Getting a slug made sounds good, but where do i go to do that?? I'm pretty sure that they are smog related also, because of those humps in the exhaust ports, the holes connect (the ones that go through those humps) to this odd thing on the outside of my heads, without a plug I would have a major exhaust leak. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:56 PM   #8
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

An auto machine is probably not going to do that. It depends on the shop's capabilities and/or whether or not they want to do it. That is just not part of what they do. If you go to a regular machine shop that does this type of stuff, they can do it for you. I am a machinist and I do this stuff all the time. Just look under machine shops in your yellow pages and look for one that says general machine work. Your probably looking at $25-45 depending on the shop's rates. Just a thought: Down here where I live, you can take something like that to the high school's trade/vocational school and get it done for nothing. PM me if you don't have any luck.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:38 AM   #9
tarmon8r
Registered Member

Id try hitting up a junk yard... or even upgrading the heads to be honest.. Maybe something a little bit more modern like a pair of E7 from a stock mustang. I swear they would have to flow better than those 79 smog heads. Or get a pair of 69 heads..Just something relatively cheap, or go with a pair of gt-40, i think i saw those for $640 a pair.
1983 mustang, 393 cubic inch stroker small block, victor jr heads and intake, gold race 1.6 roller rockers. comp cam 304, 244@ .050. .576" hydralic retro roller cam,lunati rods. block was o-ringed,10:1 forged pistons, speed pro fit fit rings, clevite bearings,msd distributor and igniton,be cool huge radiator, black lite electric fan, march underdrive pulleys, mildon deep sump oil pan, mac 1 3.4" long tube headers, 3" dr gas x-pipe and mac exhaust,ARP bolts. car weighs 2900 lbs w/out driver, sub frames, weld wheels, mickey thompson sportsman pro 26 x 10.5 x 15's,#8 fuel line steel braided
tarmon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:06 AM   #10
nastyn8
Smokes The Dope

There is nothing like that on my 79 302. it really blows my mind. Ill have to really look into it
nastyn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

All it does is let the smog pump put some fresh air in those EGR holes in your exhaust ports. Plug that sucker up, and you'll be just fine. Find a bolt that fits in the threads in the middle, and a big azz flat washer to cover the rest of the hole. Little ultra copper on the back of the washer and you're good to go.

Later heads had those on the back of the head, on both side. Then they had a tube connecting the 2 together. We used to leave the tube on, crimp the end going to the smog pump, and then mig weld it shut.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:46 AM   #12
Capri306

The ports at that point have NOTHING to do with EGR. They are air injection reactor (better known as A.I.R.) pump passages, designed to add fresh air to the exhaust stream in hopes of completing oxidation, and to aid the catalysts. Air is only pumped into these "upstream" ports when the engine is cold, up to a predetermined temperature and time. This is what those "bumps" in the exhaust ports are for, and that longitudinal passage going the entire length of the head is simply a common manifold for all of them. If you've ever had the joy of replacing air tubes on a small block Chevy, now you know why Ford did it better.

Okay, enough of the education on emission controls. You're gonna hafta plug that hole with something if you're not running an air pump. I'd suggest doing something like most guys are saying on here, and create something that's going to thread in there and plug it as well.

By the two pictures, it appears that this is a 90 degree elbow with a bolt through the center attached, correct? If this is the case, a large fender washer may do the trick, otherwise mebbe you can fill the end of the tube with welding. DO NOT be tempted to use something cheap and easy like Liquid Steel or JB Weld, as they WILL NOT work for long. Find a friend with a MIG or even a flux-core wire welder and fill up the center on the end of that piece.

FWIW, this is pretty unique looking, even for a 1979 piece.
BTW, find some different heads. Experience with 1978 heads speaking here.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote