MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-26-2004, 08:11 AM   #1
crazypete
Registered Member

Default What is that suspension jiggling sound that 90's fords make?

Its when you drive over uneven pavement and it makes that ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka/jiggle sound from underneath. Ford taxi's and policecars make that same sound when they drive past me on the street so it must be something about the ford suspension setup.

What do I need to replace to get rid of it or is it normal and ignorable?
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior

Last edited by crazypete; 04-26-2004 at 02:49 PM..
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
429mustang
Registered Member

It's probably the catalytic converter shields.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
crazypete
Registered Member

I've heard that sound before too. Thats like a flap flap flap sound. Alas, I broke the heatshields off my cats a long time ago because they were making tinking sounds and I cant have my car tinking!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
Old 04-26-2004, 02:48 PM   #4
crazypete
Registered Member

It's probably one of the spring loaded suspension components develops some extra travel over many long miles. Sounds like metal.... "jiggling" around. It wouldnt be any of the control or A-arms or springs because these are all rubber bushing-ed so that leaves the rear swaybar and the maybe the front swaybar....

I'm just curious
Old 04-26-2004, 04:36 PM   #5
XR1stang
Registered Member

probably the front sway bar. I too have heard that, and I know when I broke mine a while back I heard that sound. It was a different sound than the heat shields, which I also had problems with a few years ago.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:29 PM   #6
canukracer
Registered Member

try some new sway bar end links
canukracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:40 PM   #7
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

heat shields were always annoying, fixed them once and ended up with an o/r xpipe. i think it may be the sway bay, i got some poly endlinks and i suprizing noticed one les rattle, dunno if i used to hear the same noise that u are talkin bout
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:01 AM   #8
HISSIN50
Registered Member

i like the spring isolator idea. they look fine all the places you can see them, but get worn underneath. then metal spring on metal control arm.
but all of the other ideas are good too. it could also be worn ball joints. when the joint is loaded and unloaded, it clanks around since it has slop.
HISSIN50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:05 AM   #9
crazypete
Registered Member

Well, the car is a "reconstructed" title and it got a new nose welded on just forward of the swaybar mount points so I'm gonna try my hand at the swaybar mountings first.

But... the steering still feels a bit sloppy even after an alignment so the balljoints definatley need an inspection.

Thanks all!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:30 PM   #10
HISSIN50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazypete
Well, the car is a "reconstructed" title and it got a new nose welded on just forward of the swaybar mount points so I'm gonna try my hand at the swaybar mountings first.

But... the steering still feels a bit sloppy even after an alignment so the balljoints definatley need an inspection.

Thanks all!
how is the steering sloppy? if there is slack (like you can turn the wheel a bit and nothing happens), check the rag joint.

also check your tie rods. remember that there are inner tie rods. you cant see them, but if you jack up the front end, try to turn a wheel. if it has slop (it turns but the other wheel does not), that suggests the rack or tie rod is shot. it is more cost efficient to get a reman'd rack rather than new inner tie rods.

good luck.
HISSIN50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:10 PM   #11
stang_racer20
Registered Member

I had a sound similar to that. Turned out to be 3 of 4 springs had busted off a rung. How do the steering rack bushings look?
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:09 AM   #12
crazypete
Registered Member

I mean everything looks nice and shiny except the rag joint looks a bit rusty. There is a slight play in the wheels if I grab the tire and tug on it. Not much but there is a little.

The springs are relatively fresh so I doubt they are breaking apart just yet.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:52 PM   #13
crazypete
Registered Member

Come to think of it..... what exactly _is_ the ragjoint? Is it the universal joint that bends right above the steering rack?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:04 AM   #14
stang_racer20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazypete
Come to think of it..... what exactly _is_ the ragjoint? Is it the universal joint that bends right above the steering rack?
Yup
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:35 PM   #15
skiwesser
Registered Member

Is the rear sway bar tight when they're not they make a lot of racket.
my .02
skiwesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:16 AM   #16
crazypete
Registered Member

The rear sway has been off many a time, so I'll go check it when my aluminum driveshaft arrives!