MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-14-2002, 08:36 PM   #1
EazyE-CPT
Registered Member

Default In the process of putting a 5.0 in my '86 3.8l 'Stang.

And I've got a TON of questions

Heres the story:

Right now the car still has the V6 in it....I haven't touched anything yet. I just got the engine yesterday for $400 with the trans.

#1-------The engine came out of a '86 Lincoln Mark VII. And it IS the high output model. Everything I've heard about '86 5.0 HO's has been bad. Apparently the heads and pistons are both crap. I'd like to put a big cam in it, but I'm not sure if I can because of the crappy heads and pistons. Anyone know if I can step-up the cam a little without having to change the heads and pistons?

#2-------Will the computer from my 3.8l work on the 5.0 HO? If not, can I use a computer from a regular non-HO 5.0?

#3-------One of the first mods I want to do is get better fuel injectors. What size should I go with? ...gas mileage isn't really an issue. If I get different injectors, will I have to change the computer?

#4-------I beleive the trans. thats attatched to the 5.0 is a AOD. The trans thats on the V6 is a C5. Should I leave the trans. connected to the engines there on now, or swap them? I think I'd rather keep them where there at because the C5 has alot more miles.

#5-------What kind of torque converter should I go with? I want to go with one thats as cheap as possible...

#6-------Will the V6 exhaust bolt on to the V8? Not that I would drive it like that for long...just kinda curious.

hmmmm.....I guess thats all I can think of for now

Any input would definitely be GREATLY appreciated.

BTW: This is an awesome board you guys got.....
EazyE-CPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 11:26 PM   #2
65efi
Registered Member

IMO:

1. '86 HO motors aren't necessarily 'bad'. I had an '86 LX 5.0 and it was fun. If this is a low buck car, I'd leave the motor alone for now and save up for other mods before throwing a cam in.

2. The computer from your 3.8 is not going to work with the HO motor. I'd just get a HO computer, as long as you have the wiring harness and everything.

3. Again, save your money for bigger and better things. The stock 19# injectors will support a lot of HP. Changing injectors down the road will not require you to get a new computer. You could, however, put on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

4. I'd leave the motor and trans in tact.

5. The cheapest torque converter you can get is the one you already have. Keep it.

6. Use some of that money you saved from not buying a cam and injectors and get an off road H-pipe and Flowmaster exhaust kit. You'll also need a double hump cross member.

Good luck.
65efi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:55 AM   #3
EazyE-CPT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 65efi
IMO:

1. '86 HO motors aren't necessarily 'bad'. I had an '86 LX 5.0 and it was fun. If this is a low buck car, I'd leave the motor alone for now and save up for other mods before throwing a cam in.

2. The computer from your 3.8 is not going to work with the HO motor. I'd just get a HO computer, as long as you have the wiring harness and everything.

3. Again, save your money for bigger and better things. The stock 19# injectors will support a lot of HP. Changing injectors down the road will not require you to get a new computer. You could, however, put on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

4. I'd leave the motor and trans in tact.

5. The cheapest torque converter you can get is the one you already have. Keep it.

6. Use some of that money you saved from not buying a cam and injectors and get an off road H-pipe and Flowmaster exhaust kit. You'll also need a double hump cross member.

Good luck.
What mods should I concentrate on? I'd like to atleast be able to get in the mid 13's.

If I decide to keep the car, I'll get different heads and new pistons eventually. I'm just looking for mods to do until then. Especially now since the engine isn't in the car yet. Torque converter prices seem to be pretty high for AOD's....Ill have to keep looking into that.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:08 AM   #4
jerrys84
Registered Member

a $400 dollar motor and tranny sounds cheap, how many miles on the engine???

1st mod, gears!!! 4:10's are the average recomendation for an AOD...

previous stangs;

lightly modded 84GT

81 2.3 converted to 302 auto
jerrys84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:12 AM   #5
EazyE-CPT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jerrys84
a $400 dollar motor and tranny sounds cheap, how many miles on the engine???

1st mod, gears!!! 4:10's are the average recomendation for an AOD...
It was cheap. The guy that sold it was relocating his shop, so he ended up selling a bunch of stuff because he didnt feel like moving it.

The guy said the engine and trans only have 86,XXX miles on it, and I beleive him. Hes a very reputable guy, and the engine looks like it has low miles.

Im DEFINITELY putting an 8.8 rearend in it with 3.73-4.10 gears as soon as I find one.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:35 PM   #6
65efi
Registered Member

Lighten up the car as much as possible and get good traction. As long as the motor is running well, the tranny works, and you can hook up traction, you'll be real close to 13's. Good flowing exhaust and intake, along with the AFPR are the first things I'd look at.

Friend of mine ran 13.98 with his stock '86 LX 5.0 coupe with a 5-spd. Secret was in the traction. Granted, he only did it once, but.....
65efi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 04:13 PM   #7
EazyE-CPT
Registered Member

Hopefully a regular 5.0 computer will work, because HO engines are hard to come by.

Will a slightly bigger cam work with these heads and pistons?
Old 07-15-2002, 04:49 PM   #8
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by 65efi
Lighten up the car as much as possible and get good traction. As long as the motor is running well, the tranny works, and you can hook up traction, you'll be real close to 13's. Good flowing exhaust and intake, along with the AFPR are the first things I'd look at.

Friend of mine ran 13.98 with his stock '86 LX 5.0 coupe with a 5-spd. Secret was in the traction. Granted, he only did it once, but.....
Mid-13's....I don't think so. More like low 15's or maybe high 14's.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 04:58 PM   #9
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

1) They're not THAT bad, just throw on a set of E7's. You can't run much of a cam, but I think a B cam will fit, however I don't think you need one.

2) No your V-6 computer won't work. I'd get A9L computer for it.

3) You won't need bigger than stock injectors. With a speed density car like yours, no you don't need a different comptuer, but yes you will have to do some tuning with a adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

4) Keep the AOD with the 302.

5) You get what you pay for.....if you buy a cheap torque converter....it won't be a good peice. I've heard that GER(I think that's the name) are good converters, and HiFlow5.0 just got a TCI unit, aks him how he likes his.

6) Don't waste your time on that. Get a off-road H-pipe and a cat-back or if you can't swing a cat-back get the stock cat back off at 87+ LX 5.0.

Hope this helps

l8ter,
Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 05:12 PM   #10
Sonics2042
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163

Mid-13's....I don't think so. More like low 15's or maybe high 14's.
Yeah....I agree. First thing, that T5 kills you. Trust me, I KNOW! Best thing for an engine is lotsa, lotsa breathing. Full exhaust + T5 + 4.10s + traction should put you there. Add heads and you might get low-to-mids. (guesstimates)

I would probably piss my pants if you ran 13s from just that. You probably wouldn't have any traction issues with that AOD with such few mods.

There is a lot you can do depending on your budget.

Thanks,
DoranW
[MAC Cold Air Intake]-[BBK Equal Shorties]
[3.55 Gears]-[Cobra Intake Manifold (Upper and Lower]
[E-303 Cam]-[Granetelli Mass Air Flow Sensor]
[Front and rear sway bars]-[New black carpet and seats.]
[Adjustable Fuel Regulator]-[T5 Conversion w/ K. Cobra Clutch/Hurst STS]
[Cobra Throttle Body]-[130A Alt. Conversion]

Thinking about:
Aftermarket Heads!
Vortech A-Trim
Sonics2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 09:41 PM   #11
EazyE-CPT
Registered Member

hmmmm...The more I think about it, I might just sell the car after I put the 5.0 in it and make a huge profit. Since I only paid $1200 for the car...the body and interior is almost perfect. I could probaly make atleast a $2000 profit.

I'll have to consider all my options once I get the engine in the car...
Old 07-16-2002, 03:01 PM   #12
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

the more i think about it i think that the v-6 used diffrent k-members..8's and 4's used the same but the 6's were diffrent..and im talking about the engine member...not tranny

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:54 PM   #13
EazyE-CPT
Registered Member

Probaly the absolute most I could spend right away would be $800.....Assuming I decide to keep the car.

What mods should I go with?

A bigger throttle body? What size?

A new intake? Any ideas on what kind?

All ideas/opinions are welcome.

BTW: WIll that AOD bolt up with no problems? Or will I have to get new mounts?