MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-10-2002, 12:38 PM   #1
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

Thumbs up My Moroso kit arrived today...

After days of waiting, my Moroso cold-air kit finally showed up. I'm very impressed by the quality of the parts. The intake tube is a thick piece of polyurethane. The filter itself has metal bracing to keep it from collapsing or bending. The plate to block off the hot air is 1/8" powdercoated steel. And finally, large worm gear clamps are supplied to hold it all together. Very cool stuff. The car is in the shop at the moment, but I'll get some pics as soon as I get it installed.

Moroso High-flow kit from Summit Racing

Moroso's own page

R.I.P. 05/30/02

"I've seen some crazy stuff in my life, but that...was...AWESOME!!! Oh, sorry about your car, man."
Jeb_Bush_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 02:34 PM   #2
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Mine has treated me well. It was on my car before I bought it a year ago. It's got to be one of the easiest bolt on installs around.

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 09:04 PM   #3
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

I'm snapping the pics tomorrow morning, but I wanted to post an update, now that it's all installed.

There were a few PITAs. First and foremost was the isolaters. Pretty stupid design if you ask me...the first one unscrewed from the back as one piece, but the second one wouldn't budge. After leaning on it hard, I was able to get the nut and washer off the top, but the bushing itself was still stuck on. Then I cut the bushing off. Finally, I had to unscrew the little metal "plate" the rubber was attached to...with a pair of pliers, an quarter-turn at a time. Phew.

Second PITA was getting the silencer out from the bottom. I considered cutting it, but eventually got it oriented properly and it came right out.

Third PITA was the filter element. I was under the assumption that it went in from inside the engine compartment. This is incorrect. According to the instructions, you put the plate on, put the tube in the plate, and then put the filter on the end of the tube. This is virtually impossible unless the car is on a lift and you take the inner fender out. So what I tried to do was hold the tube inside the hole, and put the filter on from underneath. After wrestling with that for 45 minutes (I would inevitably drop something, or knock something loose, or whatever, and have to start over) I was struck with an idea.

The easiest way to install this kit is to clamp the filter to the tube, and then put the entire thing up into the inner fender. You can then put the tube through the hole, put the plate on, and clamp it all together. Once I decided to do that, it took but five minutes.

Again, I'm very impressed with the whole fit an finish. It looks VERY stock. Very slick. I took a nice long drive, and I don't know if I picked up any power, but it seems to react a little faster when you crack open the throttle. And it makes this awesome whistling/hissing sound. When I shift, it sounds like a turbo spooling up. Cool stuff.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:12 PM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Moroso cold air fun

I love the Moroso cold air kit.

I've had mine for almost three years now and never a hassle of any kind. It does sound great at WOT and adds a few HP.

The filter installation can be tricky; I like your idea of putting the filter on and pushing the pipe thru into the engine compartment. I'll do that next time I claean the filter. Thanks.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 03:06 PM   #5
89lxinwky
Registered Member

Yeah, putting the filter on like that was a pita. I'll try your way the next time. I've had one for a while with no problems. It probably doesn't help all that much that you can feel but at least you get rid of the ugly stock box and in my case it will help in future mods when more air flow is needed.
MAC headers, Flowmasters,
3.73 gears, Steeda Tri-AX, Mickey ET Streets,
Vortech V1-SC, 38# injectors, Crane InterceptorII

7.9's @92mph (traction enhancement devices needed)
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 10:29 AM   #6
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

Finally took some pics. You can see them here.

It was quite cold out last night, and on the highway, Danielle pulled noticably harder in fifth gear. There used to be a bog around 65mph, but not anymore. Now she pulls just as hard from 60 as she does from 80.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:35 AM   #7
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

I can't believe your car still had the factory air silencer still in tact. I thought those were pulled off of every 5.0 the minute it left the dealership.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 01:52 PM   #8
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

My car had, in essence, never been touched before I bought it. It had some OEM parts replaced, but that's it. Hell, that's part of the reason I wanted it...I had a clean slate to start from.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:56 PM   #9
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Yeah, it can be a pain to install if your not patient. I like the whistling sound too. Air silencer......I don't need no stinkin' air silencer.

Now, I need to save up the $209 for the C&L 76mm MAF and cast tube, to complete the entire path to the intake.
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator,
Maximum Motorsports full length subframes

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada(wife's car)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL (company ride)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS !!!!
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote